Myths of Drum Corps debunked!

geluf

Hmmmm...I've heard that about you!    :)

Mike

Well yes that's true, one has to give as well as receive. I gave and I received.

Yours truly,

The one and only

ERASER HEAD!!! :sshh: B)

(see my avatar)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well...back in the days when they just started, you had to be Chinese...i believe it was  1/4 or more.  Then for a while till the 70's a guy name Jim Tabushi (currently on the brass staff) joined the mandarins...he said apparently they failed to even check his heritage or even ask...hes full japanese.  So then they started allowing chinese and japanese to enter the mandarins...then it got down to you had to be asian.  Then by the 90's due to people suing up a storm about every little thing, the mandarins decided it's best to let everyone in before they get sued.  So they did, and now in 2005 there was around 25% of people with asian heritage.  Most of them are Cacucasion and hispanic.  It's fun though everyone should march mandarins

This came from an interview with the Corps director from mandarins from their website. It is his answer to a question about heritage and the chinese community. Since Mr. Mar took over the corps in 1981 it sounds like they would allow anyone who wanted to join in the corps regardless of chinese heritage or not.

RM: It has dwindled over the past. We still follow the basic customs and qualities that were with the original group. Family is the number one thing. As far as having strong ties with the Chinese community, no, that was beginning to dwindle in the late '70s.

We actually had a large discussion amongst ourselves on how we should handle this, because when I started it was widely believed that it was only Chinese allowed in the corps. And, in fact, during my term here, we have said that so long as we find kids who are of the same beliefs -- believe in the same qualities and want to participate in the program -- then that will be acceptable.

Well...I'm pretty sure John H. was overestimating when he told me...'course, David's estimate is different from yous, and HE was in the corps, too!

Actually, I was WAITING for you to chime in....what took you so long?  David beat you by three days or so!

Hey...some of us can't log on here so much during our work day...beside, Sam, I wanted see just how many of these myths you were going to personally debunk :P :P :P .

And, yes...Dave marched next to me during that season...or, in the case of Stillwater, MN...FELL next to me...

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Hey...some of us can't log on here so much during our work day...beside, Sam, I wanted see just how many of these myths you were going to personally debunk :P  :P  :P .

And, yes...Dave marched next to me during that season...or, in the case of Stillwater, MN...FELL next to me...

^0^  ^0^  ^0^

You had to bring up the one of the two really negative moments of that year. Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:ph34r:

OK, this takes a little explanation but I won't go into details. There was a marching accident at practice and another person made the situation a very negative thing that was absolutely unnecessary and unproductive. That person was responsible for the other moment as well, but that's a story for another day.

Drum corps actually begins after 21.

What if you start marching Senior at age 16? ^0^

Oh Yeah - Senior corps are a bunch of old guys with bellys who can't wait for the show to be over so they can tap the keg(s).

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

What if you start marching Senior at age 16?  ^0^

Oh Yeah - Senior corps are a bunch of old guys with bellys who can't wait for the show to be over so they can tap the keg(s).

D### Straight Skippy!! ^0^ :P

Pass me one of those, would ya?! :blink:

*just kiddin' Jim, just kiddin'!! :) *

Edited by Bob Brady