Favorite DCA Soloist

Didn't allways see eye to eye with him but my hat is off to BOOTs Martin

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Burke

Not only a winner of DCA best soloist with Sunrisers but a soloist with 3 diffrent DCA corps.

Late 60's Hawthorne- Late 70's Skyliners- 80's Sunrisers. A pretty good trifecta

Bobby had a sweet sound, pleanty of range, and could triple tounge or double toungue with the best.

Recently I would say Frank Ponzo. Tone, range, lip trills

Currently I can't say

Playing with Hawthorne in the 70s, my biased picks for DCA soloists would be:

George DelMonte

Gene Marrotta

Steve Racklowski

Mike "Bushman" Melvin

Slim Collins

What a set of soloists!!!

John Grass-Skyliners

Rich Price-Matadors

Tom Swan-Skyliners

Also, I must mention the late Manny Salort who played with St. Lucy's, Blessed Sacrament and the New York Skyliners.

Being a drummer, I preferred a soloist with a big, fat, clean sound rather than the screechers who tried to reach the stratosphere.

Playing with Hawthorne in the 70s, my biased picks for DCA soloists would be:

George DelMonte

Gene Marrotta

Steve Racklowski

Mike "Bushman" Melvin

Slim Collins

What a set of soloists!!!

John Grass-Skyliners

Rich Price-Matadors

Tom Swan-Skyliners

Also, I must mention the late Manny Salort who played with St. Lucy's, Blessed Sacrament and the New York Skyliners.

Being a drummer, I preferred a soloist with a big, fat, clean sound rather than the screechers who tried to reach the stratosphere.

Just Tack on Frank,Kurt and Adam and that's not bad

Not in any specific order, but here are a few people that simply amazed me everytime I heard them. They all were performers that you could count on.

Frank Ponzo Cabs

Curt Hawkins Cabs

Hunter Moss were ever he is DCI-DCA

Genevieve Danis Bari solo Brigs

John Giradi Sky

Roger Grupp MBI

Jerome Kimbrough Bush

Dave Martin Empire

Donny Allen Empire

I am sure I forgot a few, and I apologize if I omited anyone.

Not in any specific order, but here are a few people that simply amazed me everytime I heard them. They all were performers that you could count on.

Frank Ponzo Cabs

Curt Hawkins Cabs

Hunter Moss were ever he is DCI-DCA

Genevieve Danis Bari solo Brigs

John Giradi Sky

Roger Grupp MBI

Jerome Kimbrough Bush

Dave Martin Empire

Donny Allen Empire

I am sure I forgot a few, and I apologize if I omited anyone.

Hunter marched with Spirit and now is with CorpsVets. We are very lucky and proud to have him on board.

:blink:

Keith:

You have certainly opened a possible feeding frenzy here!

I have a few:

Big John "Grass" from the Skyliners(still plays pretty well w/ Sky Alumni)

Keith Griffin from Cabs

Frank Ponzo - Cabs/Cabs Alumni

Frank Minear, Roger Grupp, Greg Hilliard, Mike 'Porkchop' Honkanen

from MBI..and

Bea Erskine Jeager - the BEST mellophopne soloist EVER in Sr. Corps(MBI)

My apologies to the many great Bari solists who NEVER get recognized..and my main bari guy from the Govies, and Big Dan S. from the Kilties.

Pat

:blink:

<**>

Nick is the best soloist I have ever had to yank a solo from ...I know that!!!

All kidding aside, the T-Bird mini corps is blessed with real hot shots. Your hubby is certainly a player, Nick and Jeff...and what about that old guy on mellophone? I forgot his name...

Donny

Yeah Donny, you "yanked" me. The only problem with that decision was, that, who you gave the solo to never played it better than me all year. (sorry Kirk)

I can't believe that Rolan (sp?) who solo'ed for the Brigs and now plays with the Renegades has not been mentioned. That guy is phenomenal. My absolute favorite was the "Cabs" soloist from '76. (Bushman?)

I must have played that tape 200,000 times. It literally took me 10 years to be able to play all the solo's note for note from '76 Cabs. ECHANO was the hardest. Curt Hawkins is way up there as well. I watched him play "F" above "Super C" with very little effort......and it was loud! "Boots" is no slouch as well. Can't say enough about Ponzo. When Jeff Gibbens is on.....he's on! George "Sidemouth" Richardson remains in my thoughts. Everytime I see SKY, I remember what he used to do. What's up with Joey Pero? Man that guy can play. Tommy Davenport is a screamin' mofo! Another great T-Bird soloist was Keith Lenz. ('76)

I like to hear Richie Duarte from the Renegades, Roger Grupp from Minnesota. As far as me, well, I scream a little and play pretty. Don't ever count me out. I don't choke. However, I did "crack" twice while playing taps this year. Donny Allen will be the first to tell you that if he replies. He "cracked" earlier in the day while playing taps as well, so I don't feel as bad! (LOL)