Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

i have heard a few really great AND powerful Bb lines.

I have also heard some really tinny sounding Bb lines.

I have heard many, many great and powerful G lines( due to Bbonly being around since 2000 in dci)

i have heard some god awful G lines.

to me, a percussionist, from a listening standpoint, the key doesn't matter. it's the sound you produce, and the quality that goes with it.

now, where I DO notice a difference is in the softer passages...G's give you that fuller sound, even at the low end i have really only heard Phantom do on Bb.

I love those that will continue to honor tradition and stay in G. I will love those on Bb and find a way to sound like G.

but those on Bb that sound like tin cans, well, here's hoping you learn to correct it.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff, you are a man of great wisdom.

Now shutup and eat some ###### asparagus.

I've seen some Bb horn, that someone said were Euphoniums. As I was thinking to myself that they were some odd looking mellophones.

I don't think any Euphs have matched the granduer of those old G 2 valve Kings. The Kanstul 3 valve is nice too, but people not in the hornline, and some that are, draw no distinction between the Euphonium and Baritone. When back in the day, no-one dared making that mistake. If you saw a G 2 valve King Euph coming your way, you got out of the way. Unless you played a G 2 valve King K-90 Contra.

Having played the King 2 valve euph, I'd say the Dynasty Bb is better. Believe me, there is a distinct difference between the sound (and sight) of the Dynasty bari and the Dynasty euph. The euph is much darker and richer. It's also a physical beast.

I'll side with you on the K-90 though...there's never been a horn like it, before or since. That POS King is passing off as a Bb tuba these days is a joke. They should junk it, and make a Bb copy of the old K-90.

As far a Bb's. I haven't really had much exposure to Bb's since about 1997 when I played trombone. But I suppose that if I was gonna start a corps from scratch, that Bb's would be a good investment. Because they maintain more of their resale value if the corps flops or wants to upgrade to newer horns. And should the lead sop forget to put his horn in his car before he left home, you stand a better chance of finding a local music store with one in stock, or even crossing the street to the pawn shop and getting lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of great brass ensembles like Phantom or Blue Devils or Summit Brass or the Canadian Brass. And everyone seems to agree that the Bucs got a nice sound out of their new Bb/F horns (I did not see them live).

The arguments put forth by my esteemed competitor from Reading are very valid, and are the reasons that most hornlines that have made the switch use to justify dropping G horns. It IS easier to play in tune with good quality on those instruments.

I just hope that the judges realize this and give corps on G horns credit for the hard work being done to make a G line sound as in tune as any Bb/F line. It did not happen that way in the junior corps circuit. In that circuit, corps were basically told that G horns would hold them back competitively.

But I have hope for DCA.

But I have hope for DCA.

I hope your right.

Can we have both? :P

Now that would be something to see... kinda taking a page from Blast! and having everything together. Is there a corps out there with the guts to do something like this?

The Renegades have decided to stay on G horns.

The reason?

To keep the sound of the G hornline alive.

Our brass guru, Jim McFarland, is willing to put in the time to make our G hornline play as in tune with good quality as any line - regardless of key. And of course, we will be as loud as ever.

But the sound of the G horns is so wonderful - it would be a shame to lose that unique and intense sound.

I agree 100.5%

Bb horn has tone quality, however, the G horn has tone quantity.

G horn can provide, both, quality and quantity of sound. If we get "too pretty".........we may as well merge with DCI.

I don't understand the fascination of Trumpets in Drumcorps, but, I accept them.