Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

The Bushwackers were Bb in 2005 too...2nd in horns at finals. What did you all think of their line?

very clean, could have peaked the key impacts a little more, and still seemed tired in spots at finals

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very clean, could have peaked the key impacts a little more, and still seemed tired in spots at finals

And that Chris Mignemi guy stuck out of the ensemble the whole show. :P

no no no that wasnt him. he was too busy guessing which way to go off the field :P

No doubt where I stand on this issue and I don't want to see this thread become a B flat vs G thread,,,,,There are plenty of those floating about if you wish to comment on that.

So please keep on topic of B flat instrumentation.

Which corps have switched to B flat instrumentation and why?

Personally, I will never play Bb again...last time I played anything other than G was in high school. If there are no Senior Corps to play G with then I will go do something else....Drum Corps will be extinct at that point as far as I am concerned.

I think what Chris was talking about was not giving corps playing on G's a leg up, or any kind of a break. Rather, I think he was expressing the hope that judges don't get locked into one concept of what a quality sound is.

Bb and G lines will sound different even if played equally well. In the junior activity, there is no allowance for that. If it doesn't sound like a Bb line, it's not a good hornline.

I believe that's the road he was hoping DCA wouldn't(and hasn't so far) go down.

they will be boring and people will wonder how good they would sound on G horns

i take it you didn't actually watch any of your competitors this year did you.

<**>

I think what Chris was talking about was not giving corps playing on G's a leg up, or any kind of a break. Rather, I think he was expressing the hope that judges don't get locked into one concept of what a quality sound is.

Bb and G lines will sound different even if played equally well. In the junior activity, there is no allowance for that. If it doesn't sound like a Bb line, it's not a good hornline.

I believe that's the road he was hoping DCA wouldn't(and hasn't so far) go down.

funny, the last time i watched DCI, the best lines were bb that sounded like G lines.

Here's the problem. The judges shouldn't be looking at what kind of horns you're playing. They should be listening to the sound you create. If I remember the DCA sheets, and I could be wrong here, when it comes to demand and exposure, it's not factored in until you get 2 corps that are on an equal level. Now apply that to a Bb vs G line. If you have 2 hornlines that are equally good then the G line should get a higher score? That just doesn't seem right to me. Likewise they Bb line should not be given any extra credit either. If they both sound equally great, it should be a tie. Listen, I'm just a drummer and I can't even tell the difference. Granted, I haven't sat down and critically listened back to back to a G line then a Bb line either, I tend to focus on drumlines.

The bottom line as I see it is pretty simple. The judges shouldn't be looking at what kind of horns you're playing. They should be listening to the sound you create.

Ahhhh. The key here is "demand" and "exposure". Regardless of the key of the instruments, I believe that the adjudicator is obligated to consider demand and exposure relative to all factors. IF the demand is greater on Bb (ex. playing loud) it should be credited, if the exposure is greater on G (ex. ensemble intonation) it should also receive credit.