Former Pioneer BoD Member, DCI Volunteer of the Year Arrested

Wow...

I know Curt and his family very well and I never saw this coming....

Curt and his family have always been awesome...

Let's wait and see what the courts decide.

Shane

Yes, we do still attend a church of no particular denomination every Sunday morning before rehearsal.

As a related aside, most non-profits (and any groups working with minors) will now require background checks on any adults working with kids in an isolated environment. I've had to fill out the paperwork for just about every corps I've worked with since 1993 even though I'm just a cook or seamstress or chaperone and haven't yet been in a situation where I was isolated with any one kid.

Anyway, I do hope we allow justice to be served through the courts and IF Mr. Schmidt is found guilty, I hope any victims who come forward (or choose not to) can get the help they need.

Stef

If their drum corps experience was similar to mine..it would probably be unlikely that any of the Pioneer members were victims (though it shouldnt be ruled out).

In every corps I marched the great majority of time was spent practicing, performing or traveling.

Besides meals and maybe getting refitted for an outfit...I never really came into contact with anyone that wasnt staff or another marching member....and I dont think I ever talked to any members of the BoD...there just wasnt time!

background checks should be mandatory, and i hope in time, the courts do their thing

This news is truly tragic, an unfortunate thing to be woken up by a couple days ago. It caught me completely by surprise, and I'm not sure what to think even now. This man was always incredibly interested in how our summer experiences were, and was the first one to fight for better conditions for us. He is the only reason I could continue marching; after an unfortunate even with my family he sponsored me for $625 in 2004. I even had dinner with him and his wife when they came by my home town on the way to the Black Hills. Yes, we still attend church every Sunday it is possible... all I can think to say is that we all need to pray about this situation. Not easy.

Thank you Grant for saying what needed to be said. And thank you to everyone who has given their support through this matter, I don't think that anyone saw this coming, I know that I sure didn't. I agree that the best thing that anyone can do in this matter is to wait, and pray.

I am so sorry that Pioneer is going through this. It sounds like Curt was a very trusted, well-liked man. It must be awful for the members and alumni to learn of these allegations. I'm from Milwaukee and I was so shocked to run across this in the paper the other morning. I had seen it on the local news the previous night, but didn't put the name and Pioneer together in my head until I saw the article.

It's so scary that we have to be suspicious of the people who appear to be so good and genuine. What a shame. If he is indeed guilty, I just hope and pray there are no more victims outside of the family (as if that's not horrible enough).

I don't think this will affect the Pioneer organization negatively in the long run. These days everyone knows that predators are out there and could be involved in any of their children's activites. It is probably inevitable that most of us have had contact with child sex offenders and don't even know it. It is scary, but all anyone can do is make sure their kids are aware of the danger and that they know to talk to someone if something someone does makes them feel uncomfortable. It is a sad reality. I don't care how nice a person is, though; once they have sexually assaulted a child they deserve to be locked up for the rest of their life. We will have to wait and see what happens with this.

I'm a huge fan of Pioneer and wish them the best through this tough and sad situation.

For those who are interested, here is the newest article, which tells what led to the arrest.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article, 12/30/05