The Blue Knights are unpopular

I really enjoy Blue Knights shows personally. I thought "Fear and Trembling" was one of their best efforts, and have probably listened to and watched that performance over 100 times. I like the fact that their shows and music are different. I find their shows well designed and well performed. Can't wait to see them this year.

GO BK!!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't really have anything about them that sticks out to me good or bad. I've been marching since 02 so I never really get a chance to see them live, and when I get the dvd's I don't even think I've put one of their shows... I've got nothing against them, it's just that I've never had that, "I can't wait to see it" feeling about 'em. They seem very safe for lack of a better term. But they obviously do things well for placing in finals consistantly.

-christopher

My question to all of you is, "why?" I don't get it. Outside of those involved in Denver, etc., they have never been a fan favorite. In fact, I recall in Lynn, MA when they beat the Crusaders, BK got booed roundly.

Are they DCI's Washington Generals? What did they do so poorly? Candid thoughts, please.

I was at the show in Boston. They beat the home town corp by 1 tenth. If anyone remembers Boston's 2000 show it was a crowd pleaser compared to the more esoteric BK show. This would be the last time BK beat them in 2000. Both corps had great shows that year but BAC had the momentum going into finals week

I've known Dallas (who happens to be a horn judge, by the way) since 1977. He's a class act and an objective individual who doesn't have any burrs stuck anywhere.

Sorry, Mike -- to be specific, he's a good guy, but he's scored BK lower than his peers on several occasions. Personable, and what I know of him, a nice, and fair guy. I'm strictly speaking about numbers here, as always with a judge. Judges are awesome people, but just like any referee, they get stuck with a rep based on their numbers. I know. I was a judge once, too, though in WGI.

The Blue Knights are one of my favourite corps to see live. Mark Arnold and the folks down in Denver have developed a program that works well. BK is a class act - always bringing something different and unique to the field.

I too really like the Blue Knights. They're very different from other corps visually (both individuals and the way the drill is conceived and realized). I agree that it can take multiple viewings of BK to really appreciate the nuance of a lot of what they do, but I think that makes what they do all the more special.

Quite frankly, I think they have had some identity issues, but what corps hasn't struggled with their identity especially in an era where all corps seem to be categorized based on the general styles of the big boys. For example, while the Blue Knights were called the Cadets of the West, I never really saw them that way. In my mind, they had a unique perspective on the music of Copland and Bernstein and brought a completely different aesthetic to what they did with the tunes that were Classic Cadets. Unfortunately, we as the viewing public felt compelled to categorize them based on our associations of what they were doing with the Cadets. Then there was a period of time when BK started playing pure symphonic music and they essentially were out "Phantoming" Phantom, but once again, they were neatly in a category we as viewers could use. But recently, they haven't really fit into any of our preconceived molds and that is why we maybe perceive them as having an identity crisis. I think the crisis maybe lies in the viewer who maybe has difficulty with dealing with a corps that does things outside of the preconceived categories that exist today: the general categories are probably Cadets, BD, Phantom, SCV, Cavaliers. There are so many ways of doing this activity and I think that BK maybe doesn't get a fair shake precisely because they don't always fit inside these categories.

For me, BK just lacks a personna...an identity. When I think of SCV I think of the Bottle Dance, or Miss Saigon, or Scheherazade. With Phantom, it's the beautiful classical arrangements by Mr. Wren...Beethoven's 9th, Elsa's Procession, etc.

With the Scouts, it's a SCREAMIN' "Malaga". With the Blue Knights, I think,"dots." Sorry. I know the organization works hard, and the members are quite proficient, but they just never 'grabbed me.' B)

i once heard some say "Blue Knights, they have a good horn line, drum line, and guard...but who cares."

To sum that up he was trying to say they are good and talented but their shows really don't do much for the general audience.