What's the best year in Drum Corps history?

1982, hands down, without a doubt, case closed and everything else :P

Why ? Because if you like drum corps, and variety, and lots and lots of each...this year has it in droves.

ROunding out the top 12 were the Spirit of Atlanta who had a better show than placement might reveal and Cavaliers, who had a frightening prelims performance and barely squeeked by the new southern contender Suncoast Sound who finally arrived in McGill stadium and were a force to be reckoned with.

~G~

I agree that this was an excellent year. You are also dead right that the Cavies blew in prelims. I lived it. We thought we were out of it when we walked off the field. Fortunately we squeeked in and moved up with a solid performance in finals.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible walls of ear-shattering sound from the Blue Devils, Spirit (unbelievable sound), Phantom, Madison, Guardsmen, and even Bridgemen.

Amazing Guard work by the 27th Lancers with equipment flying all over the place, and one of the last tuly great Marching Tympani lines (they were in the process of being phased out by then).

Cutting edge Drill Design by The Santa Clara Vanguard, and amazing drumming by the high and low quad lines on their Slingerland Cut-A-Ways in Stone Ground Seven.

Groove like you've never felt before or since from the Bridgemen, and the first of 3 consecutive drum trophies for them (Dennis DeLucia, I wish someone like the Impulse could afford yours or Matt Savage's writing).

The Chrome Wall of the Northstar Snareline and some of the most in your face tenor beats in their drum solo. probably the most exposed drum solo of all time, along with their 1979 version.

I can go on and on....

Such amazing variety and entertainment from each sylistically differnt corps that year.

Edited by Scotty

99 just edges 96

1999 had some of the best shows ever.BD plays a beautiful rythmic show. SCV has a powerful rocking show. First year for the diamond cutter from the Cavies. Cadets had some sweet drill. Highest placement for the Glassmen. Madison has their best show since 95. Boston makes finals for the first time. Colts have a cool show. It was just a great year altogether.

Then 1982

Then 1984

1975!!

Madison was good, (can't stand the drum solo though, IMO)

Santa Clara was EXCELLENT. Should've won, great book, and they had that superstar drumline! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Blue Devils were up and coming with a cool jazz show.

27th, awesome off the line

Blue Stars, man their drumline played everything under the sun! :worthy:

Etobikoke, awesome drum solo. :worthy:

My favorite year.

Oh, and the Kilties and of course,,, THE MUCHACHOS!!!!! ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ :worthy:

I'm confused as to why a lot of people are saying 2000 and 2003?!?!

I can understand Cavies and Cadets being GREAT in 2000...but no one else, really.

And, in 2003...let's see the judges got it wrong...should've been Cavies!!!

I think 1999 was pretty darn good! SCV and BD that year were both VERY strong!

1993 was the same story with Star and Cadets.

I honestly don't think any year is better than another. However, I think there have been some "off" years. lol

1982. You had to be at a show to truly appreciate the sound of Phantom's 2nd year of Spartacus and the coming of Garfield. BD and One more time Chick Corea and the rise of the Cavaliers was slowly starting way back then. Freelancers had such a great book!! Madison's Strawberry Soup and Sky Ryder's rifles.

Honorable mention. 1980. Spirit of Atlanta. the first impact of Georgia on my Mind and the final moments of Let it be me after the death of Jim Ott. SCV, 27, Cavies all moving across the field giving us something new. Bridgemen drum line and the football game afterwards. BD holding off 27 somehow and the last good years of the North Star and the Guardsmen who I really miss!!