Arnold, MD show July22nd

People on here asked for a review. Someone gave that review, whether good or bad, A review is an opinion, and this guy gave his. To threaten him by turning him into the government for stating his opinion that was requested by participants in this forum is ridiculous. I never thought I'd see someone who gave their views on a Drum Corps Show be subjected to disciplinary action. I thought we as Americans stood for freedom of speech.

In a sense, I guess he is in the uniform fighting for his right to freedom of speech too. But. in my opinion, this is where he made his mistake and crossed the line:

I wouldn't even say there were any corps worth writing about, except for one group, and I can't even remember their name

I'm all for constructive criticism - actually, anything constructive from any show where I perform. But that contribution has no redeeming value. IMO, of course.

But to move on ....

Great post, Vic. Right on the money. Except for the really big Freudian slip.....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since I still seem to have access, I might as well tell you that if you are going to call and complain about me, you should know that anytime you saw me or any of our Marines in maroon shirts on cell phones, we were communicating between our director, drum major, and operations section. When I did get a personal call, I took it out back to the baseball field. While I do have extreme views on drum corps in general, I still know better than to be chatting on a cell phone and disrupting things. I WILL apologize if I disturbed anyone by being on my phone.

I wanted to send this personally,but its more appropriate here. The Marines helped greatly with the show,offering the support and technology they had to the DCA offials and those involved.The show would not have continued if they hadn't.They are always an assest wherever they go,and because they are so selective, I believe you are too sir. I doubt that your intent was to create the animosity your words have generated. As the leader of a small struggling corps those words only make it harder though and do hurt. What you fail to realize, is most of us who run these things, see that down the road that we will someday have the product that everyone desires to see at a show, but we will struggle until that happens.Its that optimisim that keeps us going.The flip side is if we don't try, it will not happen.And in Pittsburgh we're last chance of a drumcorps coming out of here for a long while, if ever.Groups like ours have some that are very talented, some newbies and some that we started with, 'this is a stick, this a drum'.All new corps out there today, Corps Vets,MCL,etc all shared that same desire.Constructive critisism is always welcomed and we all have an opinion, I look forward to your contributions in the future, but only if they are intended to help.This a passionate group here at DCP, most of us do this out of love for the activity. Its that bond that kept us going after a terrible day and it keeps us all going, whatever the corps.

Sincerely,

Jeff Danchik

MVE

Edited by jeff danchik

deleted... waste of time.

Edited by CVQuesty

People on here asked for a review. Someone gave that review, whether good or bad, A review is an opinion, and this guy gave his. To threaten him by turning him into the government for stating his opinion that was requested by participants in this forum is ridiculous. I never thought I'd see someone who gave their views on a Drum Corps Show be subjected to disciplinary action. I thought we as Americans stood for freedom of speech.

I hate to say it...but you're right. I can disagree with SSgt Warner all I want, and I do. But his occupation in the service shouldn't even come into issue. He can say what he wants. The only concern would be is how he represents a branch of our military. Being trivally negative on an obscure message board is hardly a crime, misdemeanor or wrong doing. Poor judgment, definitely.

There are some of us that can get carried away with shotgun message board discussion, and yes, I have been guilty of it at times. In my case, I expressed a differing, albeit, lengthy - counterpoint.

Ed is my buddy and I can see where he is coming from..he wants to defend those of us who have to fight to get any inkling of respect in the activity. We can be overly sensitive about it - but something those of us in our young corps who have never done it before are starting to realize that hard practice on the field leads to beating a few corps and finishing well...and getting respect - by how we perform.

There are people like Warner who concern themselves only with the proficiency of performance and entertainment value of the show. You don't get him going - then you are nobody. Yeah, pretty #### shallow and cold...but that's the reality of many fans. We have to accept that and work harder to be better to change some minds and turn more heads. We are getting there - as many groups are. Come September - we are going to light up that soccer stadium - all of us!

Oh, and let's not forget that those Cadets singers are working their ##### off, as well, to put out the best product that they can, as we all are, but I guess we've lost sight of that in the now personal vendetta against me. Please be sure to give me your regards the next time you don't see me at a DCA show.

ok, more beer for us

The difference is that in the DCA Forums, we tend to have a lot more class. If you'd done a little research instead of trying to deflect the criticism you earned on your own, you'd see that.

Please, keep posting. You're just cementing your newly found reputation.

yeah what he said :rock:

:P

I was there, and I'd say it was difficult to do a review. The third corps on had to stop because of lightning and the show was delayed about an hour and a half. They came back on and performed the entire show from the top. Most of the already small crowd left. I wouldn't even say there were any corps worth writing about, except for one group, and I can't even remember their name. The Marines performed in the pouring rain for the few people left to watch. The PA system went down during the Marines' half-way break. The announcer read the scores off to those who were standing around him at the bottom of the stands, the drum majors marched out for scores but were stopped and told to go home. The Hurricanes won. That's all I know.

Tasteless is an understatement. This was written by a member of the COMMANDANT'S OWN?

It certainly shows disrespect to ALL the participants -- ESPECIALLY those of us who drove over 900 miles to participate.

Moreover, your comments reflect badly on an organization I used to respect. Tru Crawford wouldn't have tolerated such blatant disregard for the activity from his drum corps.

You sir (and I use the term "sir" loosely), are a disgrace. I read where you won't be attending any future DCA shows. Good bye, good luck, good riddance. (And take your cell phone with you.) His corps IS tougher than yours!

Edited by K2SMA

You would not believe how close we were to the abuttment of the Patapsco river bridge. Less than 20 feet.

I had a blowout on the Patapsco Bridge on the way home from DCI in Atlanta in '84. NOT a fun place to have a problem...!

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I think that it is a real shame for people to dismiss this show as a bad show just because it consisted mainly of the smaller corps. We were all out in the sun, heat, humidity, rain, thunder and lightning all day and night. We were all trying to put out the best show we could, even if it was for a small crowd.

I actually believe that this show was probably more entertaining than the Lewisburg show, and I will tell you why. Lewisburg had all the 'big boys', who are all fighting for the top spots in finals. They know, as do the fans, that they will be on the field that last Sunday night. I think that the small corps show was more entertaining because we are all fighting tooth and nail for those last few finals spots. We are all pouring our hearts and souls into this fight, and you can see that passion in each of our corps. I'm not saying that the larger corps are not putting 110% in, just that it's a little easier for them overall.

Another point is that this show was hard for everybody. The weather conditions were just awful, and it was a long drive for everyone as well. But we all tried our hardest, and when that storm hit, we didn't give up for the day. I think everyone in that stadium wanted to keep pushing and finish the show. It's not fair to give such a harsh review to our corps when we tried our ****dest to put on the best show we could under the circumstances.

And if I recall, there were members from several corps who stood and sat in that pouring rain to watch the Marine Corps entire performance. We stood out there to pay our respect to our collegues, and it is a sad day when that respect cannot be returned.

~BatmanSwiss

Thank you Heather.... :rock:

I completely agree, Heather. I tip my hat to all of the performers, and fans, who stuck it out Saturday night under some very rough weather conditions. I mean, that freakin' rain was almost biblical in proportions at times, and the humidity level all day was off the charts, even by Maryland standards. The Shenandoah Sound people ran a good show, despite the conditions and the fact that they only had a limited amount of time to get this show off the ground at a different venue.

Was this the "perfect" drum corps show? No, it wasn't. But you know something? Seeing the corps in the Maryland show give their all, after what they had to put up with that day, is, to me, in many ways what drum corps is all about.

Fran

Same here Fran, I've been IN quite a few shows just like the Arnold, MD show and each and every corps "gave it their best". With the venue change (Manassas, VA to Arnold, MD) Shendoah Sound put on a very good show, add to that the weather, and it was nothing short of a spetactular effort.

I'm sorry that usmcontra didn't "see" the effort by ALL through the rain and the lightning...... I also saw the Excellence in D&B Corps, in your OUR Marine D&B Corps!

Andrew, to answer your question (thread title)

Donna and I were there and we had a GREAT time! :lol:

From having a show close enough that I was able to go to it, to getting to see the Sunrisers, Skyliners, Hurricanes and Music City Express during rehearsals, even the honor of getting MY corps some water, ice and a few cups. To getting to spend some time with an old friend, thank you Fran.

Yes, Donna and I were there, AND we had a great time!

(we were there in the 1979 "Wet Dream", AND had a great time then too!)

Yours in Corps,

Tony B)

*edited for typos...must do this earlier in the evening*

Edited by TennTux

Hey Fran, I think we ate dinner next to you at the Rib/Steak place. We were the second people in the dining room at 5PM and my girlfriend was the one full of beers and marveling at how your entourage knew stuff about 8 particular counts played in 1978. She's learning.

WOW.....Donna and I are your "entourage".....ROFLMAO!!

Jeorby,

Remembering THOSE particular 8 counts is a lot easier when they are a part of a "make or break" while running for the DCA title.... :rock:

What a great time Donna and I had, thank you (again) Fran... :lol:

Tony B)