Arnold, MD show July22nd

Well, since I still seem to have access, I might as well tell you that if you are going to call and complain about me, you should know that anytime you saw me or any of our Marines in maroon shirts on cell phones, we were communicating between our director, drum major, and operations section. When I did get a personal call, I took it out back to the baseball field. While I do have extreme views on drum corps in general, I still know better than to be chatting on a cell phone and disrupting things. I WILL apologize if I disturbed anyone by being on my phone.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People express an opinion and we take these folks on here in a likewise manner. Let it go at that. I'm enjoying all this. Gets kinda vanilla in here sometimes.

This is a bit of a rant. I hear that. This was actually fun to read though. Look.......I understand where the SSGT is coming from.....and I think deep down everyone else does too. I suppose there are a couple dynamics at work here..........1) What are you looking for from a Drum Corps Show or what are your expectations............2) How do you deliver your message no matter how critical. If you are showing up in Arnold expecting the Cavaliers.......you are going to be disappointed. If you are showing up in Arnold just looking for an evening of Drum Corps and some entertainment.......you will not be disappointed. As for the delivery of the message........there are ways to tactfully impress upon people your perception and opinions. For example......I don't know if SSGT Warner has any real world work experience.........but unless he is exceptionally bright........bright to the point where his ideas are so grand that he is able to say whatever he is feeling to anyone and get away with it.......his delivery would short circuit his success. Managers and Directors are usually in those positions making the "big money" not due to a superior mind, but due to their communcation skills. And I am not talking about how many 10 cent words you have in your working vocabulary. Clearly, SSGT Warner probably could have expressed his opinion in a way that was more effective, less condescending, and more representitive of the class and dignity normally exhibited by the USDB and their alumnus.

This is really relative right.......I had similar things to say last year when some kid was trashing the Cabs Alumni performance at DCI's. Characterizing their snare line as rat-a-tat-tat or something like that. It's interesting........I was recently in Kennebunkport Maine for a wedding. I have an Uncle who is originally from England. He is a nice guy, but stereotypically snotty and pretentious.......owns a wine store and is an amazing cook. The resort we stayed in for the weekend was very nice and the breakfast was good. Not great. But good. Of course he characterized the breakfast as "horrible". That's when I said to myself....you know what.....I am so glad that as I have acheived more success in life and been able to increasingly afford to dine at nicer places travel to Drum Corps Shows of all types........that I haven't let myself get to the point where if I am not drinking 100 dollar bottles of wine.......I think whatever I am drinking stinks.....cause I don't think my Uncle can ever go back.....and that is too bad for him. He doesn't have a tenth of the opportunities for fun in this life as I do because of his attitude. I'll go to Madison this year and be blown away by the corps.........but then I'll go to Rochester this year and get goosebumps all weekend. Somehow I think SSGT Warner is depriving himself of that same opportunity. :)

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Thank you Shennandoah Sound for a nice show. The

facility itself was quite nice. Sorry Mother Nature didn't cooperate.

But, oddly, it's things like this that we seem to remember!

(And it is no fun running a show not knowing how the weather will

impact the bottom line. I hope things worked out for you.)

Congrats to all the corps, especially Hurcs.

I hope you guys had a fun time on Sunday in and around Washington.

Wondering what next weekend will bring :blink: .....

Onward and Upward....

Dano b**bs

Edited by skymello2

As a member of MCL, I want to say Thank You to Shenendoah Sound for putting on a classy show. I know they had their own obstacles they had to deal with to pull this show off. When we arrived early Saturday morning, there seemed to be some confusion in where our rehearsal site was, but they worked it all out for us. Our corps bus had been delayed quite a while due to traffic on the Beltway and our 10:00 rehearsal didn't get started until 12:30. However, those of us who traveled ahead of the corps were able to get the field marked off and have the truck unloaded by then. Thanks, Shenendoah for working that out for us. Also, thanks so much for the very much needed water that you provided before we went on the field (the first time!!).

Also, I want to send out a big Thank You to the Hurricanes who also provided some much needed water to us as we were waiting to enter the field. You guys came to the rescue...........I hope we can return that favor to you some day!!

On a personal note, although the weather was horrible, I truly enjoyed the show. I didn't drive up for 13+ hours the day before for nothing. Our son and daughter-in-law made the drive with us to watch the show and to spend a few days in D.C. We sat and watched every corps (with the exception of Shenendoah and Mon Valley because we were preparing for our performance) and thoroughly enjoyed the show.....rain and all. It was an honor to perform for such a dedicated crowd that withstood the weather as well......and even more of an honor to share the field with Sky, Sun, Hurcs, and of course, our Southern brothers and sisters, CV. You are all class acts.

To Mon Valley......I was very surprised when I heard you guys were performing in exhibition only. Now that I've heard the whole story all I can say is your dedication and perserverence is exceptional. I look forward to your continued success and seeing you in competition next time!

Thanks, again, Shenendoah. The show was a success. I hope that it worked out financially for you, as well.

Why was Mon Valley exhibition? They are cvompeting at our show this weekend.

They had an issue with their bus that prevented them from getting any marching rehearsal in. So the opted to go on in exhibition only.

Ahh, makes sense

I would personally like to commend Tom Ackman, Sean Peck, and Russ Ferrer for getting this show off the ground with all the obstacles they endured. This show was being held to not only promote DCA, and the DCA South region, but to promote Shenandoah Sound. Moving it from their local area of Manassas,VA. to over an hour North, probably won't help in their local recruiting efforts, but maybe those that did attend and want to march will see there is a local corps available. SS has struggled to grow and we had hoped this show would push that growth. Tom has gone thru some personal tragedies this past spring, but still, with Russ and a large dose of enthusiasm from Sean, did not give up on the producing a great event. My tip of the baton to you!

We cannot predict what Mother Nature will throw at us from weekend to weekend. (Man, do I know this first hand) and, this past weekend was no exception. All the corps performed admirably. And the comraderie that is and always has been a part of DCA competitions was in evidence that night amongst the competing units. From water, to pit equipment, to LP claws.. everyone helped each other!

Could the crowd have been larger?? Sure. But with only a few weeks to promote the show after moving it, it was great to see the number that did attend. From first timers, local band kids and parents to veteran members of some of the competing corps and corps long gone from the area. And BRAVO to those that stayed after the first lightning and torrential rain occurred. And continued to stay when the rain slowly came back during the last half of CorpsVets performance and then started to come down harder as the Hurricanes performed. Then even harder when the Marine D&B performed! . I even saw a lot of members, still in wet uniforms, huddled together in the stands, getting rained upon while their fellow competitors and the Marine Corps performed. And how ironic that it stops at the end of the Hurricanes winning encore performance in the parking lot as they huddle to join arms and sing the corps song!!

This was a huge endeavor taken by a small corps, to help promote the activity in an area that has not seen a DCA drum & bugle corps competition in many, many moons!! I know what the Shenandoah Sound staff and members went thru to get this off the ground, then move it, then have a deluge hit before and during the show.. But say what you want… they smiled and persevered thru this and personally thanked all the corps, members, staff, support and directors, as they entered and left the stadium.

Calling this a small corps show becuase the so called "big guns" were in Pa., well, I don't agree with that. This too was a STAR STUDDED SHOW. Complete with Corps' that have numerous DCA and National Championship banners and accolades. Even though these corps' may not be the current top of the heap, I, and others, still consider them a part of the BIG GUNS of DCA! And according to current scores and placements, two of these corps from the Md. Show are hot on the heels of maybe replacing a couple of the current upper etchelon corps in the placement come Rochester!! Hey this is DCA!! who knows what can happen in 4 weeks!!

As for the "Commandant's Own" , another stellar performance, even under not so stellar conditions. WOW what a powerful soprano line.. And, as always, it is great to see and talk to those performing corps members that are DCA corps Alumni, like Chad and Jimmy, members of the 2003 Heat Wave Championship, and a couple that were former students of mine!

OK>>..A few Thank You's and Congrats....................

… First …CONGRATULATIONS to the Connecticut Hurricanes on a great performance and their first win in many years! It was a tight race between Hurcs and CorpsVets that night, and Hurcs got it that night. It will make for a very competitive Rochester. Thank you for coming !!

::::THANK YOU ::::

Hurcs - Sunrisers - Skyliners - and Mons Valley for traveling Southward and bringing your great corps' and traditions to a DCA South contest. I hope we can see more "traditional" Northeast corps travel South, and Midwest, and join with the DCA South and Central region corps' to help promote the best in All Age entertainment. Mons Valley, I am sorry we didn't get to see the full performance,and hope for the best for you, but I look forward to seeing you in Rochester

Thank You Music City Legend for driving the hours to Md. and then having to dodge lightning bolts and large rain drops during your first try at performing, then drying out somewhat and then giving a great performance after the sky's cleared. Thank you Scott Rhodes, Scott & Bunny, Ed, Patrick and the rest of MCL for continuing to support your region and fellow corps'! I wish you continued growth and success.

Thank You CorpsVets, for once again providing the audience with a very entertaining, LOUD and high energy show. And , as always, supporting and promoting the South Region and its member Corps, no matter what the cost! (psst'nice job Bill on the sop solos !)

Another spectacular night of Fran Haring announcing. Even with the microphone problems. Although after all the rain he stood in at the end, he may change his last name to Herring !!! Thanks Fran and Barb. Although Shenandoah Sound won best LOUD shirt of the night!! .just an off night, eh Fran ?? :rock:

Tom, Sean, Scott and ALL the Shenandoah Sound members, staff and volunteers for continuing on despite the thousand obstacles. I only know of one other group that had to previously fight thru the same type of obstacles as you did. But at the end - you put on a great show and product. Keep moving forward! Your time will come..

DCA representatives, Bob Cardeneo and Jim Minster, for once again helping to make sure everything ran smooth. You two have been great supporters of the region over the last few years and we do appreciate it and enjoy having you down here!

So, say what you want. Say your peace. It's America, home of the free. Which is great and why we live here! But support YOUR activity, and if you don't like it stay home and find something that suits your entertainment needs.

But , I urge everyone to get out and support your local REGIONAL drum corps shows, big and small, cause we all start somewhere. If you live in the Houston TX area, go out and see the DCA South member Gulf Coast Sound BUGLES ON THE BAYOU show next Saturday, July 29,which also includes DCA Central member Frontier. If you live in the Atlanta area, August 5th, come to Rockmart Ga. for the CorpsVets sponsored Drum Corps Rocks the South/DCA South Regional Championship, or go to the DCA Central shows in mid August and other numerous Eastern shows between now and Labor Day weekend.. Check your calendars and TV schedule for those near you !

Edited by DCASouth

I hear what your saying :)I am sure that everyone that shared mud on that field last night feels the same way.

SSgt David Warner has a photo on his public profile here on dcp.

If anyone recognizes him from the show the other night and saw him talking on his cell phone while the other corps were performing or just feels that his public comments on here are out of line,,feel free to contact the public realtions office at "The Commandant's Own"

US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps Washington, DC at (202) 433-2927 or (703) 432-9663

People on here asked for a review. Someone gave that review, whether good or bad, A review is an opinion, and this guy gave his. To threaten him by turning him into the government for stating his opinion that was requested by participants in this forum is ridiculous. I never thought I'd see someone who gave their views on a Drum Corps Show be subjected to disciplinary action. I thought we as Americans stood for freedom of speech.

Once again, Vic Kulinski has hit the nail on the head!

LOL.... speaking of "first-timers" at the show.... a couple of hours before showtime, a man and a woman approached me in the parking lot.... they were a local couple, out walking their dog (a beautiful Alaskan malamute, BTW!) ....they told me they had heard music in the area ( the corps rehearsing nearby) and wanted to know what was going on. When I told 'em, they said to me that they would be back to buy tickets and attend the show!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring