Arnold, MD show July22nd

I should add that I myself did not perform last night, so I cannot say anything about the effort put out by anyone. I can say that I was not even that impressed with our performance. OK, I did miss one corps because I was out back on the phone, but as far as what I did see, come on folks. I do not have a problem with small corps if they put out a decent product, and a lot of what I saw last night was not even close. If the rain causes fazing, bad horn angles, and extreme intonation problems, then I guess I am wrong. That first group was RIDICULOUS. Ohhh, everyone had a great time with it because it was fun and you didn't have to actually think about it to get it, but it was terrible! There is a reason I don't normally follow DCA. If last night was any indication, I will continue as such.

usmcontra,

Sorry you had such a "bad" experience in Arnold, MD. There are some of US "DCA" types that just enjoy seeing some of "US" on the field (in this case an exhibtition) JUST having a GREAT time. (My 1st time getting to see any corps doing a "Fran" song in proper Fran atire... b**bs )

As Jeff so eloquently put it, if the DCI format (he recommded the Cadets and their vocials) is more to your liking, there are many opportunities to enjoy their performances as well.

As for me (just another OlPhart) I'll take the DCA/Alumni "style" of DC.... :rock:

Tony B)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew,

I'm sorry that I missed the show. The weather forecast and too many trips down that way last weekend were just too much...................

As a Sunriser, remember that the corps has a reputation for doing more with less and I'm sure your edition is no exception. Also remember that Sun has had several instances of transforming from "small" to contender in fairly short order. While I wish this for the current corps, if it doesn't happen in your day enjoy what you've experienced.

Wyane,

Sorry you were not able to attend.....Donna and I had hoped to see you on Saturday :rock:

Next time....

Tony B)

Back to topic, although freedom of speech is far more important:

I can't thank the stubborn fan$ enough for watching the drenched corps from their wet seats. Thanks to Shenandoah Sound for hanging tough and providing a stage to perform. Congratulations to Jeff Benson and the Glen Burnie HS Band Boosters for jumping in at a crucial time. Thanks to the USMC D&BC for seeing the big picture and enlisting to help what drum corps is all about. Thanks to #### Eschenmann and DCA for being there for us.

For those numbers crunchers, think about the miles each corps had to travel? My cramped legs, smelly clothes and wet DCWorlds reminded me.

Every corps was a champ in Arnold!

Cozy,

Fran told me if Donna and I went I'd get to meet YOU... :rock:

THAT was also worth the price of the ticket..... b**bs

Tony B)

Tasteless is an understatement. This was written by a member of the COMMANDANT'S OWN?

It certainly shows disrespect to ALL the participants -- ESPECIALLY those of us who drove over 900 miles to participate.

Moreover, your comments reflect badly on an organization I used to respect. Tru Crawford wouldn't have tolerated such blatant disregard for the activity from his drum corps.

You sir (and I use the term "sir" loosely), are a disgrace. I read where you won't be attending any future DCA shows. Good bye, good luck, good riddance. (And take your cell phone with you.) His corps IS tougher than yours!

I know that were I still active duty and posting something like that on a public forum, had my CO seen a statement like that come out of me, I'd be on report, and charged under article 15, and probably on extra detail.

The lack of respect here is unbecoming, and draws negative criticism to the unit. He clearly cares not about the corps (in any sennse of the word).

I was there, and I'd say it was difficult to do a review. The third corps on had to stop because of lightning and the show was delayed about an hour and a half. They came back on and performed the entire show from the top. Most of the already small crowd left. I wouldn't even say there were any corps worth writing about, except for one group, and I can't even remember their name. The Marines performed in the pouring rain for the few people left to watch. The PA system went down during the Marines' half-way break. The announcer read the scores off to those who were standing around him at the bottom of the stands, the drum majors marched out for scores but were stopped and told to go home. The Hurricanes won. That's all I know.

Just like the commercial:

"You Asked For It" (A Review)

"You Got It" (A Review)

"TOYOTA"

I wouldn't even say there were any corps worth writing about, except for one group, and I can't even remember their name.

That is not a review. It's a completely tasteless comment that says nothing constructive what so ever. It is simply an insult to all the people who worked so hard to put on one helluva show for the people who DID appreciate it. Sure the constitution dictates you can say whatever you like, but good taste should tell you "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Not that I want to see all the fluffy "everyone was super" kind of reviews either. But if you want to give a review, be constructive in your criticism. Say something like "corps A was better than corps B because their hornline had a better balance of sound." Or something like that. That's all I ask. The freedom to have an opinion and be able to give your opinion is great. But don't come on here and blast the efforts of the DCA community without expecting them to fire THEIR opinions of YOU right back at ya.

Just a thought...

But don't come on here and blast the efforts of the DCA community without expecting them to fire THEIR opinions of YOU right back at ya.

Just a thought...

So, I make a broad negative statement about a drum corps show and I tell you that I'm not into DCA, and you don't think I expected criticism in return? I have never claimed to be some higher authority or that I am better than anyone else. I certainly do not think that I walk on water or anything even close. I just had a miserable time on Saturday night getting wet just like everyone else.

I simply do not follow DCA. I have been here for 12 years, so you can be sure I have seen my share of senior corps. I've seen good, and I've seen bad. I was fortunate enough to march in a championship DCI corps, which I spent a week driving for last month, but that's not to say I don't have my issues with DCI, either.

I do not show up at every drum corps show expecting the Cavaliers, but good is good and bad is bad in my mind, with a mix of not too shabby. Now, would I go up to a middle school student and tell him how bad his band was? Nooooo! I wouldn't even do that to the KIDS in DCI. It is amazing to see the reaction from the ADULTS in DCA, though.

And to quote:

You may not make personal attacks on other Community members or non-members. Harassment of other members is not allowed. Flame-bait, trolling or flaming posts will be edited or removed, and action may be taken against the author. Issues and posts directed at a single member should be handled via our built-in Private Messenger feature.

I guess you could consider what I wrote flame-bait, so we're all wrong here.

Edited by usmcontra

Cozy,

Fran told me if Donna and I went I'd get to meet YOU... :rolleyes:

THAT was also worth the price of the ticket..... b**bs

Tony B)

Tony,

Meeting me and holding a show ticket are merely worth gate entry. I am just added fluff. I was the one marching the mantra, "Play every note and don't fall down in this rice paddy." I played most every note and didn't fall down. ^OO^

It was a pleasure to meet you in the parking lot. Who was that guy sans Hawaiian shirt next to you? He looked familiar. I've seen him from behind my shades before in some press boxes. B)

I should have asked for your autograph. I didn't realize, per Eric, Jeorby, that I was meeting "an entourage" celebrity. :worthy:

I should have asked for your autograph. I didn't realize, per Eric, Jeorby, that I was meeting "an entourage" celebrity. :rolleyes:

Actually, Jeorby has it backwards. I was Tony and Donna's entourage that day! :)

Fran

Okay....

I marched with Dave Warner for about 7 years. We were not friends then, were not in touch anymore since i left the service, and to be honest I thought he was kind of a geek.

but why does he not have a right to his thoughts? Why does he not have the right to express his views, even aggressively (like SO many other here do?)

I mean we all have to sit here and listen to Jeff and his new jetta and everyone else with "Strong" opinions on other things, but you dont see 8 pages worth of people flaming him for it. At least Dave (unlike jeff) kept his personal opinion short and took less than 20 pages to express them.

But just like Jeff has the right to go on and on and on and on and on and on with his opinion WHATEVER it may be, why doesnt he?

Further, one only has to read DCP or Google Groups, RAMD or whatever and 99% of it is DCA/Alumni corps personel trashing DCI groups.

So one person comes on and has a negative opinion of a DCA show and suddenly hes Satan? Comon guys! Especially with someone commenting about how "DCA people have more class" or something to that effect...

Some people live on these various forums just to trash some form of drum corps. so why not him?

Some people dont like amps, and singers and dancers, and some people dont like corps with 15 members who rehearse once a week. So what? If you like it, you like it! if not, you dont. And we all have the right to come here and talk about it.

Further, why are we calling his boss to complain about his feelings on drum corps? He didnt come on here and speak for the Commandants Own, he came on here to speak for Dave Warner. Yes, his signature thing says USMC, but everyone has thier resume posted on their name.

I dont think any of us come on here claiming to represent our entire corps...

So are we calling everyones bosses to tell on people for not liking a certain drum corps?

Are you guys gonna call my district Manager at American Eagle because i didnt care for the ------men this year? (thats a random name! im not actually talking about a corps there)

truman crawford was my boss for 4 years too.... and he had some opinions of his own on many corps... DCI, DCA, and Alumni.

We ALL do! because were human beings and we in this activity are very opinionated. So just let it slide! I dont agree with anything Dave Warner said either. I havent since 1994 but hey, thats him.

In any case, those of you who loved the show, Go back next year! and see more this year! If you didnt like it, move along!

aap

"these arent the droids your looking for"