what would be YOUR last straw

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the 1 thing that if happened, without a doubt, no questions asked.. make YOU as a performer, fan, supporter, etc.. walk away from DCI and never look back?

dont mention anything that has happened.. Bb, narration, singing, electronics, etc..

only things that have NOT happened.

possible reasons so far...

- woodwinds

- animals

- laser lights

- smoke machines

- lycra

Based on the parameters listed I cannot play since my last straw was amps. I have not bought a ticket to a DCI show since.

And I have NO regrets. Some corps using them have taken things to the absurd just as I thought they would. And the rest will follow.

If I want to see Danny Gans I will go to Vegas.

Edited by Gold_Bond

whats the 1 thing that if happened, without a doubt, no questions asked.. make YOU as a performer, fan, supporter, etc.. walk away from DCI and never look back?

dont mention anything that has happened.. Bb, narration, singing, electronics, etc..

only things that have NOT happened.

possible reasons so far...

- woodwinds

- animals

- laser lights

- smoke machines

- lycra

For me, it's pretty simple: I don't WANT to see amplification, woodwinds, etc...but I actually wouldn't walk away until I stopped enjoying the shows.

The drum corps activity has gone through a lot of changes in the last 35 years. Most were decried as marking the end of the activity by some folks (myself included in a couple of instances.) OTL Drill, the pit, tick system, Bb horns and now electronics (arguably, the jury is still out on that one) among dozens of smaller changes. Some have worked better than others but we, as an activity, are still here.

That's not to say that, if every corps begins to center their show on vocals and electronics that I might not still walk away but, for now, I still enjoy most performances enough to spend the money to attend shows.

With out a doubt woodwinds. That would be the final straw that broke the camel's back. That would be the official day that "drum corps," and I use that term loosely, died.

You mean is was not in 1971 as the t-shirt and Richard (sheesh!) Blake from DCN said back then?

B)

Can't really think of anything looking at this from a realistic POV.

WW...great

Electronics like pianos, synths, guitars....not a prob for me.

Strings...sure.

Why not just have a drum major push a button on a laptop and play back the whole show that way? You could use any instruments you wanted, and they'd be played perfectly every time.

Why not just have a drum major push a button on a laptop and play back the whole show that way? You could use any instruments you wanted, and they'd be played perfectly every time.

You could use a huge projector and play the animated Pyware drill file with it as well.

...which is why I used the word 'realistic'

:blink: