what would be YOUR last straw

i agree with the cavies and scouts not going coed and its the same with the woodwinds.....brass and percussion only is what makes drum corps drum corps.......im very new to the drum corps scene but iv fell in love with its sound.....iv heard great marching bands and great drum corps but seriously no woodwinds it would break the tradition that was started wayy back in the early 1900's and i also agree with one person said about if its not for the kids any more.....im a kid and i love drum corps and smoke machines and strob lights i wouldent mind them at all they would be a cool effect if you use it during hit parts or themed showes....just my insight

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a variant of this thread has been posted every year since these web boards and newsgroups have existed.

We always return to the simple fact that the activity has changed so much and is so different from what we knew it as. In art change is unavoidable, of course, but as a friend put it last night, "OK, art changes... fine. But just because they start putting out dog poop art does that mean we have to like it?"

The activity has continued to change and move with our current culture -- but it is too much a reflection of our current culture -- depraved.

Because we aren't in the position of the creative people who run/influence drum corps, we can't really complain or have much input other than simply choosing not to support it any longer. Yet, drum corps has some sort of hold on us that we can't shake. We go to the shows hoping to see some glimpse of what we once knew and loved and are very happy when we recognize something familiar. But most of the time it's like we are gawkers driving by an accident scene -- captivated with disbelief at the accident which happened on the performance field (ie Cadet's red queen!!! -- what was that all about???)

Because we can't influence the activity it doesn't do any good for us to moan and complain -- but instead seek out other options -- ie traditional music/performance activities... bagpipes anyone?

I think someone else said it best. For me the last straw is whenever I'm no longer entertained. To be quite honest, I can see merit in a sax solo, a string quartet miced in the pit, even a synth feature. I won't campaign for their use, as I think the product we have on the field now is pretty #### neat. And as with all instruments, even brass and percussion, I expect those additions to be used poorly at times, but I also expect that they could lead to some really neat shows. As long as I'm entertained, I think I would be okay.

I would leave if corps shows started containing Satanic ritualistic human sacrifices because there was a scoring caption for it and without it a corps would get a zero in that caption.

For me, I tend to plan a vacation around major DCI events. I would quit going to DCI when the shows become too esoteric. I see many corps using music that the general public is not aware of or shows that are fun and exciting for the general public. It is difficult to take family members to shows when they don't know and understand the music and show. I miss the Madison shows of the 80s and 90s, Vanguard (Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Russian show, Carmen), Sky Ryders (Wizard of Oz, Camelot, West Side Story), Cadets (West Side Story, When Kings Go Off to War, Les Miserables). These are just a few of my favorite shows.

For me, I tend to plan a vacation around major DCI events. I would quit going to DCI when the shows become too esoteric. I see many corps using music that the general public is not aware of or shows that are fun and exciting for the general public. It is difficult to take family members to shows when they don't know and understand the music and show. I miss the Madison shows of the 80s and 90s, Vanguard (Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Russian show, Carmen), Sky Ryders (Wizard of Oz, Camelot, West Side Story), Cadets (West Side Story, When Kings Go Off to War, Les Miserables). These are just a few of my favorite shows.

The general public doesn't dig drum corps no matter what music is played. To them, it's just marching band.

Mine's pretty easy:

When it stopped being about the kids.

Sorry to burst your bubble, however, when exactly when was it "for the kids?" Certainly not within the last ten years or so. Now it's all about satisfying the ego of the dfesign staffs or a power crazed corps director. Don't believe me? Then how do you explain the amoeba drills, clown costumes, "marching" like Groucho Marx, the dsiappearance of 400 plus drum corps, indecipherable music, over priced trumphoniums in Bd and the like? And please don't use the excause "it's progress." What about tradation? Just my two cents worth. No flames accepted.

Then how do you explain the amoeba drills, clown costumes, "marching" like Groucho Marx, the dsiappearance of 400 plus drum corps, indecipherable music, over priced trumphoniums in Bd and the like?

How do you explain the hundreds and even thousands of kids that sacrifice time, effort and money to march those "amoeba drills" and wear those "clown costumes"? Seems safe to assume that they enjoy it. If you don't, that's fine. But what the poster you quoted said was that it's about the kids, and they were absolutely right. Nowhere did they say that it's about catering to morganhill. Please take your trolling elsewhere.

I would leave if corps shows started containing Satanic ritualistic human sacrifices because there was a scoring caption for it and without it a corps would get a zero in that caption.

Man, you're closed-minded ..... ^0^