Does tradition mean anything anymore?

I'm not pointing this at any specific corps, and really, I'm not even pointing this at the activity... in general, I find in today's world tradition holds very little merit... I just want anyone elses' thoughts, in regards to drum corps, if tradition holds any merit anymore, or maybe, anywhere close to the merit it used to hold?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Some traditions still exist: Uniform design, corps songs, "signature" sets and songs, colors. Others, sadly, have been forced out by the G.E. Giant. With subjective judging and the emphasis on G.E. outweighing simply excellence in performance, many things go by the wayside when it comes to design time. This is why I really enjoy the corps that stick to the basics. With only minor changes to jacket length and sash color placement, The Cavaliers have been in the same Uniform since 1984. The Cadets also have kep the same basic uniform (minus the altered uniform backs in '05 and '06. There are others, these are just two examples. I like the groups that have kept something about their corps constant for a substantial length of time.

This is one of the reasons I like the regiments return to All White. I did like the Black Years, bu there is something comforting about seeing the all white uni's and plumes take the field.

With respect to Vanguard, Boston, and ESPECIALLY Spirit, yes! And it's great!

With the Cadets, on the other hand, they seem to want to drift away from tradition as much as possible.

one thing i did see this week was many corps putting in little touches into their shows honoring the past. that was most cool.

If you're talking about the grand scheme of things, yeah, tradition means less and less for us. Tradition is closely associated with history, and the number of people who don't know the basic history of our nation, for example, is astounding. And that carries over into EVERYTHING. Though I must say, from what I've seen, people in drum corps today pay more attention to tradition than the average joe.

Tradition still exists...

...sometimes for the better...sometimes for the worst.

When I was an active undergraduate member of my fraternity in college...I cant tell you the # of the times that the word "tradition" was used as an excuse to stymie progress or allow new ideas.

I'm for tradition, but I'm not for blindly following it.

I think a lot of corps hang onto to their old traditions, but as a collective, I think DCI corps are throwing things out the window.

as tevye would say......

A fiddler on the roof. Sounds crazy, no? But here, in our little village of Anatevka, you might say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck. It isn't easy. You may ask 'Why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous?' Well, we stay because Anatevka is our home. And how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word..... tradition!

Tradition really is in the eye of the beholder. Some take a more literal interpretation (Spirit), and some view their tradition being with their innovation.

We all like tradition and old times past. And while it is important to acknowledge it and keep it close, it cannot hold back progress. That would be a tragedy. I would be incredibly upset if drum corps was the same way in 15, 20 years as it is now.

as tevye would say......

A fiddler on the roof. Sounds crazy, no? But here, in our little village of Anatevka, you might say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck. It isn't easy. You may ask 'Why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous?' Well, we stay because Anatevka is our home. And how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word..... tradition!

Yet, more to the point, Tevye willingly turned his back on tradition several times. Why?