2006 - The Year of the Slide Whistle?

Slide whistle - not percussive, yet used in the front ensemble.

Closer to a flute than to a drum.

I heard it too often this year by I think 3 of the top 12...it's gotten gimmicky now.

Drum and Slide Whistle Corps?

If we are going to spend pages arguing about the legitimacy of amps, than I believe the slide whistle deserves it's day!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a legit instrument that is also legal.

*shrug*

I think we need more cow bell.

Slide whistles are usually played by the percussion section in a band/wind ensemble setting because the rest of the players have their mouths occupied playing some other wind instrument. At least, that's how it was explained to me many years ago in band.

Slide whistle - not percussive, yet used in the front ensemble.

Closer to a flute than to a drum.

I heard it too often this year by I think 3 of the top 12...it's gotten gimmicky now.

Drum and Slide Whistle Corps?

If we are going to spend pages arguing about the legitimacy of amps, than I believe the slide whistle deserves it's day!

Peter Scheikele often refers to the slide whistle as the poor man's trombone.

OT, sort of, but are harmonicas illegal? If played by the pit?

Just wonderin'.

How about the juice harp?

Not that I'd like to hear a show full of it. Unless someone's doing an Ives show, in which case I'm all for it.

The absolute best use of a slide whistle in drum corps history (IMHO) was Santa Clara Vanguard's "falling bomb" effect in 1991's "Miss Saigon" show. Everything was loud, then sudden silence, and then the whistle was heard for just a second or two...and nothing else. VERY effective.

A great story regarding that is one told to me by the percussion staff that year. Gail Royer stated he didn't care for the sound of the particular slide whistle the corps had, so a staff member changed its color by covering it with colored tape. The next day, they played it for Gail and he approved of the change. They never told him they just covered it with tape and it was the same whistle.

It's a minor pet peeve, but to me it's used as nothing but a gimmick. It's almost "nevermind what we're actually playing - hey, look, here's the whimsical part - hear the slide whistle?"

Mike

Too true...you can almost see the guard with the big happy (or "surprise") faces when you hear it. Too much whimsy in shows nowadays for me. :P

Sorry, I can't picture '83 Garfield without the use of all the whistles, bells and bird calls.