DCI Meeting in Chicago... Good News for All-Age Corps!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gary,

This sometimes is easier said than done.

As a sponsor, you first have to have the corps to put on a show and be affordable. Then you have to look at the fact just how many shows can a geographic area financially support within a 45-60 day period?

There is DCI, DCA, and a summer band circuit in areas, many going for the similar fan base.

Are corps willing to travel for just a (as example) Saturday show? The Kilties travel, and do many "Saturday only" gigs. But for some other corps it may not be doable logistic-wise, or they just do not care to entertain the thought of doing so for a one night "gig".

Bill

sounds like a cop-out. I attended the Kilts 70th reunion show. They hardly drew at the most 600 people with div II/III corps. Just some observation

This is really saddening to me. I thought of\ senior corps as the next level when I age out of DCI. I think junior corps are just going to disappear because of this. Wow, where is drum corps going?

Most kids could care less about anything other than pop music unless they have an INTENSE interest in instrumental music and competition. There is no conceivable place to get performers for drum corps other than high school bands.

A month past, and here's my take on this DCI v. DCA thread.

1) The primary cause in the decline in the number of "competitive" drum corps is the cost of travel. Since a number of the organizations who sponsor drum corps do not turn a healthy profit from fund raising, grant writing or alumni/community support they must pass the cost onto their prospective members. Participation fee/dues range from $1,000 to $2,500. A Sky Ryders alumus once told me his dues were $500 in the early-80's. Adjust for inflation and the amount is about par. Having served on that corps board of directors, he said 4/5's of that amount was to cover the cost of travel.

2) The second cause in the decline of drum corps is relevance. The activity was an extension of AL/VFW posts, Boy Scout troops and faith-based organizations. The quagmire of the Vietnam War forced a number of these organizations, especially those with military connections, to rethink their community outreach. The first victims of their philosophical shifts were their very expensive drum corps. Those organizations who chose to continue as independent drum corps had to seek out alternatives to the associations controlled by their former sponsors - the creation of DCI and DCA both were a result.

3) Thirdly, the growth of competitive marching band is one of reasons drum corps has declined. The effect of which is only now being considered. The same type of randy youth who populated the drum corps ranks in the middle of the last century now march for their high school band. You only have to look at how densely packed the marching band season is in my own state to see that. With over 18 events held in a four week period prior to state championships, and almost all events turning a serious profit. (Oklahoma Band Central, Midwest Marching, Indiana Marching, among other websites) Or, turn to national/regional circuit websites (Bands of America, USSBA, TOB, SCSBOA, FMBT, etc.) and count the number of active participants.

4a) The two remaining drum corps associations are still alive because they have successfully booked a full competitive schedule while keeping the costs of hosting an event low, the cost of which is passed onto spectators. Since there are a fewer number of drum corps other associations could not fill their schedule and ceased to exist.

4b) The current administration for DCA will not allow the association to grow beyond it's available resources. Hence, corps from the west, mid-west and south seeking out alternatives. DCI has ceased the opportunity to fill-out their performance schedule with a quality product.

4c) Each professionally adjudicated marching band event costs $14K to $25K to host, speaking from experience. The lion share of costs covering adjudicators fees and their travel needs. You need spectators to help defray the cost. Spectators will not bother if there is not a full schedule. I suspect a DCI or DCA show is no different.

5) The activity may be fast approaching a second renaissance, but that rebirth will not materialize if the two remaining associations and their members do not cooperate with one another beyond the cordial relationship that currently exists. The administrations for both DCI and DCA know that.

6) DCI has strict membership requirements, so naturally they would not scale back their requirements because a particular corps is a member of another association. Naturally, the first conversations regarding scheduling all-age corps would only include those groups who have meet their guidelines. The more established DCA members are not associate members of DCI, hence they were not in attendance.

This cooperation is a good thing because of the following: a broader audience, more tickets being purchased, more merchandise sold, more potential recruits, and more DRUM CORPS. The sum of which greatly outweighs any potential negative effect.

:satisfied:

Edited by mpsanchez

will not allow the association to grow beyond it's available resources. Hence, corps from the west, mid-west and south seeking out alternatives. DCI has ceased the opportunity to fill-out their performance schedule with a quality product.

Uhhh....you DO mean that DCI "Seized" the opportunity (meaning to grba on to it), rather that "cease" as in to stop....right?

#### Gilman ... look what you started! ;)

My 2 bits - a quiz

Which organization is now not only broadcast on Public TV, but in movie theatre's and ESPN? DCA or DCI?

Which one makes rules that focus on inclusion and growth and promotion? DCA or DCI?

Which one becomes more popular and more well-known EVERY year? DCA or DCI?

Which one sees higher profits and higher revenues and increased exposure every year? DCA or DCI?

Which organization holds shows THROUGHOUT the contiguous 48? DCA or DCI?

The only thing I can see that is screwed up about DCI is the fact that there seems to be less and less corps competing at finals over the last 20 years - but I'm not sure that's DCI's fault - more likely there are economic factors at work.

Even though they make us play 1st - DCI is allowing an alumni corps to play LAST on semi's night next year - thats a major concession by DCI as to the importance of all age groups.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'm not so sure I really care that much about DCA anymore. Don't get me wrong - I care about every single drum and bugle corps out there and I wish all of them prosperity in the future. (and to have NO holes on show days) ;)

I'm just not so sure it matters which "circuit" we compete on (or is it "at"?).

So long as there's lots of screaming fans and students that we can inspire I dont care which governing body stamps its seal on the show.

As far as "getting paid to do shows" is concerned - I'm not sure that matters very much to the AA corps. Most of them are make a significant personal investment of time and effort just to be AT the show and to get to perform again. The money doesnt really matter to the AA corps and they dont need nearly as much of it to operate bc they dont go on tour the way jr. corps do. They are, in effect, "fully self supporting through their own contributions," (like the other AA .. heh heh)

If DCI swallowed DCA whole and created DCI-AA, would it matter? Would there be any LESS ppl at the shows? More? the same?

It would not bother me if this did in fact take place. What some are afraid of could actually be a boon for the AA corps activity. You never know.

Which organization is now not only broadcast on Public TV, but in movie theatre's and ESPN? DCA or DCI?

Wait - I know this one. DCI, right?

Which one makes rules that focus on inclusion and growth and promotion? DCA or DCI?

Um, that's a tough one. Both circuits have an exclusive membership model where only the higher-placing competitors are full members. I'd have to say "neither".

That's another tough one. Looks like "neither" again.

Which one sees higher profits and higher revenues and increased exposure every year? DCA or DCI?

I'm stumped again. Can't have three "neithers" in a row, can we?

Which organization holds shows THROUGHOUT the contiguous 48? DCA or DCI?

Neither. I realize DCI covers a lot more ground than DCA, but did you know that 11 of those 48 states had no drum corps contests in 2006? And then there's Canada....

The only thing I can see that is screwed up about DCI is the fact that there seems to be less and less corps competing at finals over the last 20 years - but I'm not sure that's DCI's fault - more likely there are economic factors at work.

Wait - was your point that DCI compares favorably with DCA? Because if so, neither your quiz nor this statement are making a supporting case.

Um, that's a tough one. Both circuits have an exclusive membership model where only the higher-placing competitors are full members. I'd have to say "neither".

Is there a DCA class 'A' committee as there is a DCI II/III committee to decide on some of their own operational rules?

That's another tough one. Looks like "neither" again.

Hardly. DCI being shown on ESPN2, the Classic Countdown....the quarters on the big screen.....how you can say "neither" to that is beyond me.

I'm stumped again. Can't have three "neithers" in a row, can we?

None of the above are "neithers"....unless you choose to ignore the reality of the two circuits.