Do you think this will happen?

Poll  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a possible scenario?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How long do you think it will take to occur?

• Within the next 5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-15 years
    • 16-20 years
    • 21-25 years
    • Over 25 years
    • Never

I think it is possible, and I am sure that I won't stick around for any of it. It will at least relieve me of the burden of spending money on new events and recordings. I cannot stand the current misuse of amplification (my opinion, of course, that I don't think microphones should be used for vocals). I already do not like the use of electronics in marching band or winter guard/drumline competition. I'm already bored enough by the power of woodwinds in marching bands, as well. Throwing those things out there in the summer in the guise of a "drum and bugle corps" isn't going to make them more exciting.

I hope it never happens, but then I hoped people wouldn't be walking around on a field singing/talking into a microphone in a "drum corps show" either and it happened. So, if a rule passes that allows for someone to do it, you can bet that someone will try it even if it doesn't seem to fit with the intention or spirit of what the rule was really about.

Edited by Tekneek

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I know several people (myself being one) that have just gotten into this thing called Drum Corps in the last few years and we don't have those older memories or experiences affecting our view of the activity. I'm expecting that the newer crowd is going to see the amps and whatever else and appreciate them as long as it is still quality, and the same work and effort goes into it.

There is one trick to your statement above. The newer crowd will eventual become the older crowd if the changes keep coming. In a couple of years you are going to be one of the many who remember what the activity looked and sounded like when you first got bit by the bug. You will find yourself saying things like "Yea....back in 2006 corps B did this and it was awesome.....I wish that corps today would do stuff like that..."

My most repeated statement is

"I wish the Blue Devils would return to playing hardcorps straight forward JAZZ !

Triple Forte

Edited by Triple Forte

There is one trick to your statement above. The newer crowd will eventual become the older crowd if the changes keep coming. In a couple of years you are going to be one of the many who remember what the activity looked and sounded like when you first got bit by the bug. You will find yourself saying things like "Yea....back in 2006 corps B did this and it was awesome.....I wish that corps today would do stuff like that..."

My most repeated statement is

"I wish the Blue Devils would return to playing hardcorps straight forward JAZZ !

Triple Forte

Haha, that might be. But I just hope we see the fresh fans continue to come in, because I think they will accept what it is as they do. Time will tell.

These predictions have been around forever.

They've always been proven wrong.

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. FUD

Yes, I FEAR what the future of DCI may hold.

The problem here is that there IS NOT really much UNCERTAINTY - did you see the Woodwind solo awards given out in Madison in 2006? Have you seen where some of the 2007 proposed rules are heading? Have you seen that DCI is moving its office to Indianapolis, which is where BOA's office is, and holding finals in Indy, which is where BOA finals are, for 10 straight years?

It's hard to DOUBT that DCI and BOA may converge eventually.

Edited by billj

so, I hear Hillary Clinton is running for president in 2008.

if she win's, she'll probably determine that drum corps is child abuse, and find a way to make it illegal.

just my take though.

~>conner

Here's the sceneario: we know any-key passed in 2000, and amplification passed in 2004. Now, say the electronics rule passes for this year, 2007, sampled sounds become legal in 2009, and 2014 marks the first year woodwinds are allowed, and by 2018 the standard drum and bugle corps intrumentation is piccolos; flutes; clarinets; alto, tenor, and baritone saxophones; trumpets; mellophones; baritones; euphoniums; tubas; snares, tenor, and bass drums; mallet and auxilliary percussion; and synthesizers and other electronic instruments. Effective use of electronics, narration, and vocal amplification will become necessary in order place in the top twelve. Shows like Cadets 2006, which will have truly fulfilled its moniker as "ahead of its time," become the norm for every corps, with the added inclusion of heavy electronic instrument use and a drastically different ensemble sound due to the addition of woodwinds. I, no longer entertained by the product I pay to see, gradually stop attending DCI events. The shows that corps perform sink to a level of what I perceive as unforeseen classlessness, distastefulness, unoriginality, and (most importantly) a complete lack of any form of entertainment value whatsoever, as the emphasis transfers from performing what I feel is great music while marching great drill to seeing who can be the most "creative." Soon, neither DCI nor its member corps will have any financial backing from me, and the organization will probably find new sources of income and get along just fine without me. Eventually, drum corps will no longer exist in my mind, ever again.

There ya go

While I agree adding WWs would suck, you really should stop projecting your views on the world. :)

I'll keep my answer to this short and sweet. No, drum corps will not disappear just because you and a few people who agree with you don't like what DCI may or may not do.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again. G's quote in Hrothgar's signature would have also been a perfect argument against DCI splitting from the American Legion/VFW 3 decades ago.

This discussion is a never ending cycle, though, and there is no end to creativity in concocting "oracle"-like doom and gloom scenarios. :doh:

I think what would be more likely is just a shift in the standard audience member. The alumni of the older more traditional corps usually aren't going to like all the new changes, and that is to be expected. However, I know several people (myself being one) that have just gotten into this thing called Drum Corps in the last few years and we don't have those older memories or experiences affecting our view of the activity. I'm expecting that the newer crowd is going to see the amps and whatever else and appreciate them as long as it is still quality, and the same work and effort goes into it

:doh: Have to agree with this even if it's not entirely for reasons I like. More I read and think about it I believe DCI is going for a target group (marchers and audience) of Junior age people and their families. After these people hit 22, if they want to keep following DCI it's OK. But if they decide to quit following then DCI really doesn't care as they have a new group of people coming up. Reason for thinking this has a lot to do with DCI getting closer to MB format with the last few years of rule changes.

PS - Manedible, if you get a chance check out any B.P. (before pit :P) show which is early 80s. It will help you realize how much things have changed over the years. If it ain't to your liking, no problem. Just consider it a history lesson. :doh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Yes, I FEAR what the future of DCI may hold.

The problem here is that there IS NOT really much UNCERTAINTY - did you see the Woodwind solo awards given out in Madison in 2006? Have you seen where some of the 2007 proposed rules are heading? Have you seen that DCI is moving its office to Indianapolis, which is where BOA's office is, and holding finals in Indy, which is where BOA finals are, for 10 straight years?

It's hard to DOUBT that DCI and BOA may converge eventually.

I find it incredibly unlikely that DCI and BOA will converge. They are completely different in their purpose and operations.

DCI, unlike BOA, is run by the performing organizations themselves. The corps decide the rules.