Ken kobold Recordings

I used to have 77 Bridgemen. What a hornline! I remember hearing them play "Harlem Norturne" a few years later and thinking, "that sucks compared to 77". If I could only have back a few of the things from the 70's.....my Bridgemen tape, my 67 Chevelle SS, my 16 year old girlfriend.

I have 1977 Bridgemen on CD... I also have it on DVD and VHS!! ^0^

I have 1977 Bridgemen on CD... I also have it on DVD and VHS!! devil.gif

So do I!

Well except for the VHS. :P

Also have CD of 1975 Muchachos!

Edited by ravedodger

(I also HAD a copy of Ken's recording of Madison's ill-fated early-season show from '76; mercifully for all Madison alums, the recording ceased to be listenable the moment my old 8-track deck died, with no replacements available.)

I know of a couple guys who have a recording of that early '76 show - they say it is VERY painful to listen to.

I used to have 77 Bridgemen. What a hornline! I remember hearing them play "Harlem Norturne" a few years later and thinking, "that sucks compared to 77". If I could only have back a few of the things from the 70's.....my Bridgemen tape, my 67 Chevelle SS, my 16 year old girlfriend.

Hmmmm...the tape and the car, yeah. The girlfriend will be 46 this year.

:drool:

Garry in Vegas

Hmmmm...the tape and the car, yeah. The girlfriend will be 46 this year.

:laugh:

Garry in Vegas

Er... maybe I should have said A 16 year old girlfriend. What a minute, that might get me in trouble.

That is not accurate. The gist of it was that profit from the recordings (if any) should go to DCI and their member corps, not someone's back pocket.

Also, DCI has not said they'll "never" make these recordings available. They just haven't found a solution to the licensing challenge yet. (Granted, that might never happen.... :angry: - but it's not for lack of trying.)

Just thinking about the licensing issue:

Back then with so many corps being run as neighborhood groups and mom & pop operations, I can't believe many groups ever even thought about getting all the correct permissions and licenses. And, even if someone back then did get a "permission to arrange", for example, who would have thought to keep that item all these years? Who does DCI go back to 30 or 40 years later to find out if anybody got permission for anything?

Or - going the other way, what if DCI just started from scratch and tried to license all of that material now? That would be a risky venture. A lot of effort and money expended to create a product that would have a very limited market. Even if everybody above a certain age on DCP would buy multiple CD's for their private collections, it still might be a money losing project for DCI. (And, you know that as soon as DCI started selling the CD's, some of that material would find its way on to the internet - further eroding the sales potential.)

Just thinking about the licensing issue:

Back then with so many corps being run as neighborhood groups and mom & pop operations, I can't believe many groups ever even thought about getting all the correct permissions and licenses. And, even if someone back then did get a "permission to arrange", for example, who would have thought to keep that item all these years? Who does DCI go back to 30 or 40 years later to find out if anybody got permission for anything?

Or - going the other way, what if DCI just started from scratch and tried to license all of that material now? That would be a risky venture. A lot of effort and money expended to create a product that would have a very limited market. Even if everybody above a certain age on DCP would buy multiple CD's for their private collections, it still might be a money losing project for DCI. (And, you know that as soon as DCI started selling the CD's, some of that material would find its way on to the internet - further eroding the sales potential.)

Bob Smith?? THE Bob Smith???

ASCAP. If DCI hasn't called ASCAP they should go that road. Those guys are in the business of music. If anyone knows the answer, they would. Anything sold would be required to pay something like 45 cents per song on the recording per recording. And if ASCAP doesn't represent the song, its pretty much imminent domain. Works the same with Beethoven and Shostakovich as AC/DC, etc. Some of Shostakovich is still copyrighted, me thinks, where Beethoven is all imminent domain and pretty much fair game.

And believe me, ASCAP LOVES to get their money. They'll be the most helpful bunch of tyrants any of you ever deal with--probably why DCI has the recordings in the vaults!

Eww. Your 16-year old girlfriend is like 55 years old and eligible for AARP. :P

(Sorry, I don't know you, but I couldn't resist! Feel free to retaliate--I don't mean anything personal and I deserve it! :angry: Just a young(er) punk who saw the opportunity for a funny-funny! Or did you mean your CURRENT 16-year old girlfriend? Double eww! <**> )

Maybe DCI should remaster the Kobald recordings of shows with music in the public domain. :D

Feh. You probably know about 24 of us who have both of those recordings from Ken. :P

(I also HAD a copy of Ken's recording of Madison's ill-fated early-season show from '76; mercifully for all Madison alums, the recording ceased to be listenable the moment my old 8-track deck died, with no replacements available.)

I have the audio recording of Madisons early season show at their first contest, so unless you have the same one, you dont know the meaning of putrid.

But was chatting with a Kiltie buddy of mine who also marched Madison starting 3 years before me, that "bad" show actually did get into the 80s scorewise before they chucked it.

Edited by Scerpella