Ken kobold Recordings

Does anyone know who owns the Ken kobold Recordings that were made through 1982, and how to get copies of these recordings?

Does anyone know who owns the Ken kobold Recordings that were made through 1982, and how to get copies of these recordings?
I believe DCI has them in the back room - literally.

Yes, this is correct. Last time I was in the DCI office, I was told they have all Ken's recordings and they intend to organize, clean up,

dupe to CD's and make available... someday.

I hope they do indeed do that, because I would love recordings of the shows I marched in that Ken recorded.

Back in 1986-87 I wrote to Ken about purchasing some tapes of my corps' and others and since I was stationed in the Army in Germany he sent me about 8 cassettes FREE of charge because I was serving in the Army. I loaned my tape of the Royal Coachmen to a friend and never saw him or the tape again. The other tapes are now about 20 years old and I don't play them because one tape was destroyed while trying to play.

I would love to have the recordings of my corps again just to reminisce every so often but I guess DCI won't allow that to happen so I guess I'll just have to relive those in my mind just like all my other memories.

Ken Kobold was such a generous and kind man.

I have a buddy that used to have a Ken Kobold tape with '75 Muchachos and '77 Bridgemen on it......... ^0^

I have a buddy that used to have a Ken Kobold tape with '75 Muchachos and '77 Bridgemen on it......... ^0^

Feh. You probably know about 24 of us who have both of those recordings from Ken. :P

(I also HAD a copy of Ken's recording of Madison's ill-fated early-season show from '76; mercifully for all Madison alums, the recording ceased to be listenable the moment my old 8-track deck died, with no replacements available.)

Back on track, I realize it's not a priority, but if DCI would simply put up a list of Kobold's recordings with an option to purchase a digital copy, the whole library wouldn't have to transferred to digital except as already purchased and paid for. Given the rarity of some of those recordings, even $15-18 per performance really wouldn't be that extraordinary a price. I'd certainly pay that for copies of shows I marched before I was with a DCI corps. Just a thought...

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 1

I got this email back in '04 from Steve Vickers when I asked about this:

When Ken passed away, his will left the master tapes to DCI and specified that they not be used to make money. There is also a copyright clearance problem on a huge amount of the music that is contained on the tapes.

DCI has, so far, indicated they will never make the material available.

Perhaps someday they'll change their mind or figure out how to clear the music with BMI, ASCAP and the Harry Morris Agency.

In the meantime, rest assured that all of the material has been preserved.

Every minute of every reel-to-reel tape has been transferred to digital computer files to ensure that these historical recordings are not lost forever.

The people who own the Stetson D. Richmond and Alf Wateska collection are willing to allow that material to be used and that's where the 50 CDs come from. Likewise, Dale Johnson's material is also available (38 CDs).

Steve Vickers, Publisher

Drum Corps World

I used to have 77 Bridgemen. What a hornline! I remember hearing them play "Harlem Norturne" a few years later and thinking, "that sucks compared to 77". If I could only have back a few of the things from the 70's.....my Bridgemen tape, my 67 Chevelle SS, my 16 year old girlfriend.

I got this email back in '04 from Steve Vickers when I asked about this:

In the meantime, rest assured that all of the material has been preserved.

Every minute of every reel-to-reel tape has been transferred to digital computer files to ensure that these historical recordings are not lost forever.

The people who own the Stetson D. Richmond and Alf Wateska collection are willing to allow that material to be used and that's where the 50 CDs come from. Likewise, Dale Johnson's material is also available (38 CDs).

Steve Vickers, Publisher

Drum Corps World

Thanks for the reminder.

Year or so ago I had problems ordering some Wateska CDs (PC problem on my end) and called the DCW office to order. To my surprise Steve answered the phone and we talked corps for a while. Steve told me that besides audio, DCW is working on getting video of older shows that are not availible to the general public. Now last year a set of 1960s show DVDs came up for sale. Glad to see the video portion is also working out.

Better check the DCW Historic CD section again, it's been a while. :)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

When Ken passed away, his will left the master tapes to DCI and specified that they not be used to make money.

That is not accurate. The gist of it was that profit from the recordings (if any) should go to DCI and their member corps, not someone's back pocket.

Also, DCI has not said they'll "never" make these recordings available. They just haven't found a solution to the licensing challenge yet. (Granted, that might never happen.... :worthy: - but it's not for lack of trying.)