#1 Neck Breaking Drill Move of All Time

Cavies 02 where the two lines meet, and then rotate into four lines.......yeah I am bad at explaining it.

'84 Cadets - Actually a lot of this show would qualify, but one part that really stands out for me is from the Mambo opener, where the contras play a fairly difficult line while practically sprinting backwards. Not that big a deal these days, but this was in 1984, mind you, and the Cadets were just starting to explore how crazy a drill could be.

One of the reasons that part sticks in my head is that I was at finals that year, and the contras move made the band director sitting next to me snort beer through his nose.

'93 Phantom--the crabstep wedge to the 360, but also the mad dash to the final set in Death Hunt. It's a chaotic drill to begin with, but then you see the horns sprinting, the music is getting crazier and crazier, then two massive quick hits and they're done, standing there in a perfect triangle stretching across the field, while you're just standing there slack-jawed and bug-eyed, not quite realizing that the show's over.

'05 Phantom--at the beginning of the last section, the mad sprint into the triangle going backwards. Actually, there's a lot in this show that could qualify . . . I think someone already mentioned the opener where the wave flips back and forth a few times.

Just about any Cavies drill from the last 15 years has at least one section that makes you go "How in the name of God did they do that?"

1992 Phantom Regiment. Three boxes, two of brass, one of colorguard, merge into one then seperate into two....mind-boggling.

That move was insane-- we were so close that we brushed up against people in the other two blocks. Plus, the guard did work as well. It was a battle, all season long, for the brass staff to keep us playing that portion of the music up to snuff (we were so preoccupied with staying alive). It's kinda deceptive on TV--from that high angle, it doesn't look overly scary, but on the field...

Why is it a joke? While I won't say it was the most effective drill move I've ever been a part of, it was definitely the most scary. Everyone entered the ring of ladders blindly, and had drill moves every 4 counts. There were more than a few dings, busted lips, busted horns, knocked-over ladders, and knocked-over people during rehearsal.

What breakneck drill moves have you been a part of, Phitch?

i agree with ya here...although I didnt march that drill, it def looked very hard and ballsy to do. and i would also like to point out....i thought it was funny when you said 'phitch' because it rhymes with *@$ and fit perfectly with your post :P

hey 81.3, i did see the dvd... it's not that impressive...

It's pretty ridiculously difficult . . . marching 4 count drill moves backwards at 200 bpm blind to the people around you and the ladders that you're passing through? Not having any reference point for your random dot-to-dot moves with all these people running randomly around you in a tight circle of ladders?

You know, some people haven't marched and some people haven't marched . . . but you REALLY haven't marched.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

that's a joke... right?

It WAS at 208bpm, AND, I bet the ladders were rarely in the same place twice. I can understand how it would be a little scary for the marching members, wondering if they were next to crash into a pile-up that they don't know about. BUT...from an audience perspective, it didn't look all that precarious if you didn't realize what you were looking at...

M

I would say the move at the end of the opening in SCV 99 was pretty sweet and probably not an easy one to get down.

Nowadays I would break my neck marching in a parade.

Almost every year for the last 10 years Cavies and Cadets seem to have a blind move that looks suicidal. Showed "Machine" to a friend who doesn't know drum corps and he couldn't believe that they didn't end up with half the corps in the hospital (especially the "Octopus" part).

well if your talking neck breaking as in, very dangerous. then in my experience it HAS to be the circle of death from cavs in 05.... so dangerous. the snareline actually had to move backwards through that mess. it was pretty much a human blender. so many kids got banged up in that.

that move was like those old kung fu training rituals where they do their moves on poles, if you mess up you fall on broken glass or spikes or something.

but if you mean neckbreaking as in, just plain crazy. the cadets have moves every year where i see not point other than to make the players run their legs off.