New Twist On Show Design?

Sounds like a good idea on finals night, but would you get the same effect at a smaller show with no back stands?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Don't see that one happening, especially because we are still marching bell front instruments.

As if that or anything else is set in stone anymore! We'll have electronics by next year, after that we'll have amping everything including drums and horns, and then woodwinds and strings, so everything can be mixed into a soundboard and then balanced and put out evenly to every side of the stadium!

I think the way drum corps evolved because of having judges on only one side of the stands, that makes it different from a style of college marching band that has to face every side of the stadium all the way around because there are football fans sitting everywhere. I like the fact that drum corps is not "theater in the round" like a college marching band would do. I like that there's only one side to view the show. We get an intense experience on one side rather than a diluted (sp) experience on every side.

It wouldn't work. Remember, you would need extra judges to sit on the other side. And how about the cds? How would they be mixed? From what side? What about the pit? Would we just get rid of the concept of the grounded pit, or have two pits and have one playing at a time? If course, I suppose we could just choose which side of the field the speakers were turned on for.. Interesting, but I think this sort of thing should be reserved for halftime.

I like backfield moments too...however, if you are sitting back there, they are not backfield moments anymore. Everything else in the show would be.

Good point.... it would be like living in some sort of alternative universe, where back is front and front is back....LOL

Fran

Using Madison as an example, it seats what, 80k? And we had 27k at Finals there? So you're taking people that used to be able to see the entire show presented to them and now asking them to sit "behind" the corps for 1/2 of the show.

May be practical someday, but let's start getting more than 20,000 at giant regionals (and 27,000 at Finals) before we start moving folks around. (Let's actually *fill* the home side before worrying about it.)

Mike

May be practical someday, but let's start getting more than 20,000 at giant regionals (and 27,000 at Finals) before we start moving folks around. (Let's actually *fill* the home side before worrying about it.)

Mike

Yeah, this I agree with totally

But I think it would be a very clever show to design so that it appears to be facing the rear. If the Blue Devils can design a "backwards" timeline for a show, I wonder if some clever soul can design a "backwards" orientation for a show while still being judged (and appreciated) forwards.

hmmmmmm. I'll have to think about this one some more .....

I say we get the BOD double the size of all the corps, then we have all the members march back to back playing for both sides of the stadium and while were at lets add woodwinds and electronics too............

The Great Rondinero once said on the 93 or 94 Broadcast that that you wouldnt wont too look at the back of the painting.

Kill Me.