Boston's Closer!

This thread is unncessessary, spend your grumpiness energy elsewhere.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread sucks.

~>conner

True, true and true. The statement, however, is reserved (which means it doesn't hold weight until after the big dance is complete).

I have been with organizations that wrote the monster book up front, used that as the diagnostic tool, then hosed as the season went on.

Pretty much describes lots of corps from my marching era, to save ticks.

BAC getting all this attention without the words "fight in the parking lot" is wicked awesome. Just an old time BAC's opinion.

This thread is rediculous ... even for me.

:doh:

Boston can't win with some people. Some folks say that Boston rehashes their music and drill every year, and others claim the corps is adrift for lack of identity. "Conquest" IS a revered piece of the corps' identity...in fact, it was a major theme in the final portion of the 06 show. However, it doesn't always fit into every show. The corps is going out of it's way to try some fresh ideas this year, and as far as La Fiesta goes, the last time that a major corps played it was before most of the current drum corps was born...or at least, walking.

Coaster, your Boston-hating is regrettable. Btw, what is Suncoast playing this year?

Once again, Boston has chosen to play a watered down version of a drum corps classic, La Fiesta. Don't get me wrong, it's not the kid's fault. Will this corps ever find it's own identity? Flame away! Any input 84BDSop?

Nah, man, I talked to someone I know from Boston and he said they're actually going to have Chick Corea on the field and he's going to play every single note from the original recording.

Would that make you happy? As someone else here said, nearly every horn book in DCI is watered down from the original to some extent. Maybe you're right, maybe Boston's book is going to be watered down. But I'm going to wait to see it on the field before I come down too hard on it.

FWIW, I marched in one of the three corps since BD '84 to play La Fiesta. We played it in 12/8 (so we wouldn't have to march at 220 for 4 minutes) and the brass book was pretty meaty, by any division's standards. The only part that we really "relegated" to the pit was the B section. That, and the opening mello lick (played on piccolo in the Woody Herman version... which is my favorite, btw... although Buddy Rich put out a decent recording) was watered a bit. Point is, it's not an impossible chart to play, and I'm pretty sure Boston could pull it off without significant watering.

BAC getting all this attention without the words "fight in the parking lot" is wicked awesome. Just an old time BAC's opinion.

OMG!! In 1998, we did a show in Beverly, MA and I remember being on the phone and watching two Crusader Alumni beating the crap out of each other in the parking lot! No one was attempting to break them apart, and frankly, not many of us were watching.

It was wicked awesome!

And, when they were done, they gave each other a hug, went to the back of a car and opened a beer!

Ah, BAC.

I for one am excited to see how they treat La Fiesta (as I listen to BD 84). I liked last year's show! Looking forward to this years!