Cavaliers post 2007 show audio on youtube

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I knew most Billy Joel music. This, I don't. Ya know how we sometimes confuse the Bernsteins? (Leonard and the Bears?) Well, maybe this isn't Billy Joel but rather Billy Jack?

RM - I'm just sayin'

ampssuck

I thought I knew most Billy Joel music. This, I don't. Ya know how we sometimes confuse the Bernsteins? (Leonard and the Bears?) Well, maybe this isn't Billy Joel but rather Billy Jack?

RM - I'm just sayin'

ampssuck

and i thought you liked drum corps. :doh:

and i thought you liked drum corps. :doh:

In general, I do. But I confess, none of that was known to me. I must obviously expand my BJ knowledge. :P

RM - he said BJ

ampssuck

I’ll go with the minority on this thread by saying – no, not liking it. I agree with the comments on it sounding too 80’s and, I think, in a bad way. It seems to highlight some of what I, at least, disliked most about late 80’s style arranging.

In addition, it seems to switch back and forth between an 80’s style (mostly when the horns are playing) and a modern style (mostly in the drum breaks between phrases and songs). But the drum writing sounds very 80’s when the horns are playing (a “square”, less musical, almost rushed style). Kind of schizophrenic.

While I didn’t really like a lot of the music Cavies have played in the past 6 or so years, it at least held together as cohesive products to my ears. While this is all by one composer, it feels very disconnected – again like the “throw four songs together and connect them with some drum effects” of the late 80’s. And I’d have no clue it was Billy Joel without being told.

I’m surprised to hear something so un-integrated put out by the integration gods of the decade

Take another listen.. I think you'll find I'm right! :doh:

Have fun on tour! I'm jealous! Keep an eye on that Gropp kid. I hear he's a troublemaker!

Stef

Way to funny!!! I took another listen and I'm think'n.. hmmmm.. you just may be right! And thank you, I am very excited about the tour and I will always leave one eye on the Gropp Kid.. :D

I actually felt completely opposite of Fifer. I thought that the people writing the music pulled off one of their most brilliant compositions to date. The way they overlap and integrate so many cool and memorable melodies is really unbelievable and most deserving of a ton of accolades. At least from me.

:doh::doh:

Edited by justanopinion

Also just listening to the opener does anyone else find it sounds almost like a 70's-80's corps? It just has that sound to me
I love the new style for the Cavies. Actual melodies = GREAT for DCI. :)

Amen to melody.