Eulogy for Horns in G

I could argue this, but I really don't care. You're still wrong.

No, I'm not. It's my opinion.

"Run away!" ($1 to King Arthur)

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely on topic .... no one will ever play Candide on a two valve G horn ever again. At least not in DCI. Nor will they play Slaughter or the Nutcracker or Swan Lake or Georgia or Channel One or Conquest. I take great pride in the fact that I had the honor to play a few of those great works of musical literature on an instrument that was so difficult to play and distinct in it's characteristics. From here on out, no one will ever know what it's like to jump an octave on an 8th or 16th note just to hit an Ab or Eb or D etc etc. No one will ever know how hard it was the blend that note and make it sound like it was meant to be there. No one will know how raw and dark and warm and face peeling an Eb minor chord is on those horns. They won't know what it's like to have to bend every single note on the horn to play it in tune on any given chord structure. It was truly an honor to be a part of that era ... and I feel for the generations who come after me ... who will not get to experience it. There's never been a horn like them ... where you can fill up your lungs and expend every drop of air you have in less than 5 seconds without the horn falling apart in your hands. You had to have chops ... just like drummers had stronger chops before they switched from mylar in the late 80's.

Well put.

I agree that the saddest thing about losing G's in mainstream Jr. Corps, is that not many people will have the opportunity to play those horns outside of just trying one as a novelty. I played while I was in high school, and the switch was never an issue to me. In fact it helped me out a lot when I got more serious with music and branched out into playing horns in other keys like an Eb alto trombone. The ability to mentally switch the fundamental and play in a different key while reading the same notes turned out to be really helpful. The sound was incredible, the intonation was entirely possible, and the uniqueness of playing an honest-to-God bugle was priceless. Do the arguments of a Bb hornline make sense? Sure. But there was something about carrying on a tradition that had been around for generations that was really neat and I'm kinda sad that this generation of players will never experience that.

Edited by 727driver

As the brass caption head from Pioneer 2007, I will say thanks to the people that congratulated the corps for maintaining at least a decent sound with "inferior" unmatched equipment. It didnt matter to the kids as much as it did to the judges, I dont think.

More than in a few critiques post contest, I was told that until Pioneer made the move to Bb/F, we would "come in last place in brass. The judging community does not want to hear that sound anymore".

Just sayin'

Donny

As the brass caption head from Pioneer 2007, I will say thanks to the people that congratulated the corps for maintaining at least a decent sound with "inferior" unmatched equipment. It didnt matter to the kids as much as it did to the judges, I dont think.

More than in a few critiques post contest, I was told that until Pioneer made the move to Bb/F, we would "come in last place in brass. The judging community does not want to hear that sound anymore".

Just sayin'

Donny

Good for them .. did they pay to get into the show? How many ticket sales are they costing DCI these days?

You know, i think G bugles were probably very good for players when they switched back to multi-key. Not only would they naturally improve your breathing to help you fill the horn, but I imagine it would be easier to fix your pitch and play in tune with those around you.

Just my 2 cents.

Just sayin'

Donny

hmmm...wonder if that was pure objectivity, or personal opinion...oh, wait...judges never use their own opinions during judging*...

the following is my opinion...the intellectual property of my warped brain cells...(some will agree..some won't...)

Everyone that has enjoyed drum corps for 2 decades or more KNOWS that you can produce an incredible, quality sound with G bugles. If the reason corps switched to Bb was PURELY economics, then I can live with it...but we all know that's not the only reason, or even the most prominent one. The real reason was to make teaching easier.

Corps were developed to teach kids something that they have never done before...play music. Corps brought kids off the streets...sometimes troubled kids, and gave them an INCREDIBLE gift...the gift of music...a gift that those kids will have for the rest of their lifetimes. Later, the more prominent corps brought in the best of the high school band crowd, teaching them how to use the G bugle, and use it well. Now, corps don't have to teach kids how to use G bugles, allowing more time for piece rehearsal on their Bb horns.

There are those that espouse that drum corps is for the kids, period. For this group, is DCI doing a disservice to kids nowadays by not teaching them a new key horn? For that matter, are we doing todays drum corps kids a disservice by promoting things like woodwinds, narration, and electronics? Some will say that these things will make drum corps better. A greater portion (at least on DCP :P ) will say that it won't make it better, just different. The great argument is "which is more creative?" Is it more creative when an artist has no restrictions, and creates a masterpiece, or the artist that creates a masterpiece with nothing but toothpicks? New elements allow directors to create shows that move in different "directions", but usually stifles creativity with the old, "traditional" elements.

I am of the opinion that the removal of G bugles, and adding things like electronics, narration, and woodwinds, would continue the "dumbing down" of drum corps. With Bb horns, you don't have to teach the nuances of the G bugle. With narration, you are bastardizing a pure musical form. With electronics, you would not have to teach a kid to create a unique sound with brass or percussion, because they would be able to hit a key on a synthesizer. With woodwinds...well, I'm not even gonna go there right now.

Drum corps still teach instrument play skills...breathing techniques, apertures, etc., but now a bigger focus is performance technique, and marching. Teaching has moved more towards victory, instead of knowledge...

*- oh wait, they are human...can't get rid of personal opinion

So...what does all this have to do with the title of the thread???

Yes some companies still make G Bugles.(Kanstul, Dynasty...etc)

The G bugle is not dead therefore no need for a Eulogy.

Don't believe me go to Rochester, NY over Labor Day weekend.

Umm...the category of all posts is Drum Corps International World Class corps. Right?

So if none of the World Class corps are using G bugles it is appropriate for a eulogy?

It's like...if soldiers from France die...we in America might not have a Memorial Day for them, but we do for our war dead. This is not about DCA...although since you brought it up...how many G corps compared to Bb are there in DCA?

Unbelievable.

So much for "any-key brass". So much for it being "optional", as Dave Gibbs said in the "any-key" brass proposal. And so much for judging the performance of the day, not pre-judging based on the name of the corps, or the equipment in their hands.

Perhaps a eulogy is in order - but for far more than just G horns in one of DCI's divisions.

It is sad but true...granted Pio was in fact out-numbered and even perhaps slightly less talented than some corps that were above us...it was said to me. There was a point of lost hope that we could catch anyone in brass, but the kids persevered and actually so did the staff. We didnt stop trying thats for sure. We werent that far back to pack it in. I just told the kids that if they wanted higher scores they would have to play better. Scores went up, but we didnt catch anyone in brass. We did close the gap to a few hornlines though. The season ended on a fairly positive note. Even with G horns, in a venue such as those DCI shows are in the last couple of weeks, the 42 horn players could not get the sound needed to compete without sounding crass. So we settled for the best sound we could get...not the loudest sound we could get!!! $1 to Jeff Mitchell...

Perhaps if a top six corps stayed on G's there may have been a ray of hope...I guess when youre in last place, they can say that stuff. I didnt take it as being said maliciously but it did make me think...

BTW...Roman is buying new horns. They will be Bb/F.

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

terribly sad to hear, donny.