Troopers 2014

Just watched Spielberg's Lincoln on DVD. I had enjoyed it in the theater and was even more impressed on this viewing. (It is by far the better of the two movies out last winter that featured a character named Bilbo!) But the music while never objectionable seemed unmemorable, so I suspect that it will not be a source for Troopers' show--remembering also that John Williams' music is reportedly not available to corps, anyway.

From the Troopers' Facebook timeline:

"Of the people, by the people, for the people..."

I probably am giving away too much, but "..by the people..." part is going to be cool. The design team will start a thread on DCP and crowd-source the show design. Srsly.

• Like 1

Could a full-scale Gettysburg show be coming? That would be pretty cool. Have the battle, and then Lincoln Portrait for the ending after the battle when he delivers the address?

Just watched Spielberg's Lincoln on DVD. I had enjoyed it in the theater and was even more impressed on this viewing. (It is by far the better of the two movies out last winter that featured a character named Bilbo!) But the music while never objectionable seemed unmemorable, so I suspect that it will not be a source for Troopers' show--remembering also that John Williams' music is reportedly not available to corps, anyway.

I wasn't aware that John Williams' music was no longer available for use by drum corps which makes a few of my posts in "music corps should play" wishful thinking. I assumed we didn't hear Williams' music was because as often was due to different musical tastes.

If you listen to the soundtrack apart from the film, you may find that it has drum corps potential though not enough for an entire show, but with some other music such as "Gettysburg" and "Lincoln Portrait" as another poster suggested it could be interesting. Actually I think I said in another post that the music of "Gettysburg" and "Lincoln" mixed with a bit of the original score from the film "Glory" (a great Civil War flick) would have been a great show idea and since last year was Gettysburg's 150th anniversary, it would have been a timely show.

Edited by Tim K

• 1 month later...

http://trib.com/news/local/casper/troopers-drum-bugle-corps-sets-show-to-lincoln-civil-war/article_8d5341c8-daf8-5b88-9371-ea4dba0ef7c7.html

"The music for "A People's House" includes a brief, haunting solo from "The People's House"; "The Ramparts," which was written for the Air Force Academy Band; Copland's "Lincoln Portrait," which includes narration from James Earl Jones; "American Symphonic Overture," a medley of Civil War tunes with a main thread of "Shenandoah"; and "America the Beautiful."