Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

I know this is a corps by corps decsion...BUT I hope that Boston will announce their music a lot sooner than opening night of the first show like they did this past season. In my opinion, it did absolutely nothing for them "remaining secret" all winter. It didn't create any BUZZ about or around the show at all except for perhaps a little mystery of how Animal Farm would be portrayed and this announcement was quite late as well. The announcement had little or no substance IMO. I think The Cadets do the best of all the corps about creating BUZZ around their show in the off season and they should probably consider following their playbook. Being transparent is certainly not going to affect competitive placement.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

I agree, Liahona, and I hope they open their registration information soon and start the momentum.

This is a little behind the eight ball IMO...It should have been ready to go finals night...

I just hope they spend the majority of the show looking forward, not backwards. As pleasing as the latter might be (to fans, that is) I would be concerned how it would affect their scores.

It cuts both ways however. Attempting to be overly progressive and avant garde is fraught with as equal, if not more, risks for a Corps like BAC. They don't have the cache to play 'jingle bells" and succeed placement wise, or play original, esoteric written music or music from obscure composers and succeed placement wise. So its a balancing act for the non G7 Corps to attempt to manage. Lets keep in mind BAC finished 10th this year in a show designed to be avant garde ( for them ) and " forward looking, not backwards". For some fans, particularly younger fans, it was a " hit ", but it wasn't with the judges,(most of 'em their grandfathers and grandmothers age,) as the Corps finished its lowest in placement in 7 years. I'd like to see BAC throw caution to the wind with the judges be dammmned and do a tribute show that brings most people of all ages to their feet.

Edited by BRASSO

This is a little behind the eight ball IMO...It should have been ready to go finals night...

I tend to agree ... of all years, this is one where it would have been good to have a detailed schedule of all the major events, including start of registration, and planned rollout times, together with a coordinated social-media schedule. (As it stands, although they haven't opened corpsdata registration on their own website, you can still sign-up for BC using the form on another corps' sites :wink: )

Madison did what I would call a quasi-tribute show in 2013. Much of the show was new, but it had all the elements that work for Madison. It concluded with "You'll Never Walk Alone" their signature piece but in a new way. Though they placed 9th, their finals show was not as strong as it could have been, but throughout the season it was successful. There are many ways a tribute show could be done and could still be original. Also, BAC's musical choices over the years has been so varied, there are many ways that could be done too,. Though I do not expect a greatest hot show, there are many pieces I would love to hear again. Makes me anxious for next year's East Coast Classic and CYO Nationals.

Madison did what I would call a quasi-tribute show in 2013. Much of the show was new, but it had all the elements that work for Madison. It concluded with "You'll Never Walk Alone" their signature piece but in a new way. Though they placed 9th, their finals show was not as strong as it could have been, but throughout the season it was successful. There are many ways a tribute show could be done and could still be original. Also, BAC's musical choices over the years has been so varied, there are many ways that could be done too,. Though I do not expect a greatest hot show, there are many pieces I would love to hear again. Makes me anxious for next year's East Coast Classic and CYO Nationals.

Often, especially today, tribute shows only mean something to those involved . Sometimes it triggers something in those of us who marched BITD even if we didn't march with a particular corps. Competitively , it can be very tricky. Many loved the cadets 75 formed back in 09 but for the most part noone really cared except those involved, as a matter a fact many didn;t like the Benrstein throw back. I guess anyone can do anything as long as you do it well BUT can't rely on the fact that a throw back theme helps elevate a position.

Edited by GUARDLING

Scoring trends are one thing, but isn't the talent of the members part of the puzzle? Can a finals placement be dumped on the instructional staff of any musical section?

Go back and look at the trends in drumming 014 show was above other years only to be dumped in finals and every year i look at except 03 and 04. You might want to look at the scores from allen town 3 years in a row they had the same score kinda odd.

There is no distinction in placements with Corps that do traditional based shows with music and themes understood by audiences, and highly avant garde " out there " shows done by Corps. Its all in the design and execution. Cadets finished 3rd ( 2nd all year however ) with a show that was clearly traditional in nature, but they have scored just as well with progressive, avant garde, " out there " type shows too. BK have done avant garde, " dark shows " in the past and got buried in placements, but this year they did a very bright show with a theme that was easily understood by a child, and accompanied with uplifting music, and scored their highest in years. Crown has finished 5th in placement with " out there " designed shows ( this year), but higher in placement other years ( 4th ) with traditional based, easily understood themes with music understoood by most audiences ( "Rach Star" ). Cadets played " Jingle Bells" ( 2012 ) and finished 4th, yet played " White Rabbit" in a VERY out there, Avant garde show in 2006 and finished 5th. ... BD played the " out there " themed show" Constantly Risking Absurdity " theme into 2nd place, but played the easily understood traditional show themed " The Phenonomom of Cool" ( 2003) into a DCI Title. Yet, on the other hand, the Cadets played the " out there " themed " The Zone " into a DCI Title too.

Bottom line ?... Corps are primarily judged by the HOW, ( it is done ) not the WHAT( is played, or depicted for a theme ). In that case, my message to BAC ( for little its worth ) is to go with a theme that is easily understood, and with music and visual that is appealing to most audiences. The rest will take care of itself if you can execute the heck out of it. And that comes about thru good retention, and strong recruitment, imo

Edited by BRASSO