Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

. Modern drum corps already pulls family life apart with four months of Spring training and summer tour.

Its just awful that families are pulled apart for participation in Drum Corps. The divorce rate and deliquency rate, as well as weekly religious attendance services would be much better if people didn't do Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

Ok, you are having a sarcastic day and I don't want to play that game.

But I know BosCru lost a major potential financial sponsor when I showed said zillionaire this corps' schedule for 2013-14 and almost got him to come to a home show contest.

He emailed back his regrets, circled the Good Friday camp weekend with the comment: this corps' values are confused. He donated his money elsewhere, outside of drum corps.

But I know BosCru lost a major potential financial sponsor when I showed said zillionaire this corps' schedule for 2013-14 and almost got him to come to a home show contest.

He emailed back his regrets, circled the Good Friday camp weekend with the comment: this corps' values are confused. He donated his money elsewhere, outside of drum corps.

Maybe Tim K. can drop a line to the BOD.

I don't know if drum corps has pulled families apart or has had an impact on the divorce rate, and I can say with 100 % certitude that Mass attendance in my parish has not been impacted negatively due to drum corps. Actually the opposite may be true. When I go to Indy and Allentown, I attend Mass with a mental notebook, remember what they did, and apply it in my parish. Now I do not want to go into a religious rant, but the donor who objected to the Easter weekend camp has a valid point. My understanding is the corps did take it a bit on the chin for the date, but only a bit. I heard it was a scheduling oversight and it was realized too late to change the date. This is probable but shows poor planning. A weaker excuse was that the kids live near enough they could still have camp and Easter dinner. I do not believe this would ever be an official reason.even though it is a religious holiday, Easter is celebrated secularly and this past year Greek Easter and Passover fell at the same time, so the date should have been avoided.

and Christmas (a national holiday)

There are no "national holidays" in the United States. There are holidays during which the federal and/or state governments elect to cease operations, but they do not enforce a national holiday upon its citizens.

And with respect to the federal holidays, Memorial Days are often spent with corps, and sometimes winter camps occur over Martin Luther King, Jr. Day or Washington's Birthday, so I suppose you are recommending that those holidays be equally respected and all corps cease operating on such days?

Edit: and of course Independence Day as well - no more Drum Corps on parade.

Edited by Eleran

We need a Little Christmas.

Right this very minute.

Greek Easter and Passover fell at the same time, so the date should have been avoided.

Probably in retrospect it could have been.

That said, despite both Christmas, Passover, and Easter being significant religious observance holidays, I hope we don't ever lose the Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny commercial thingy.

I like Drum Corps. And I also like candy canes and chocolate eggs.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I wish Boston all the best in the new season.

But I sure hope that its young administration will be better thinking than planning another camp weekend for Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday which also this past Spring was Passover and Greek Easter weekend. What your religious beliefs and participation is is one's own business, but even many "secular" families use such holidays as this and Christmas (a national holiday) to gather as a family. Modern drum corps already pulls family life apart with four months of Spring training and summer tour. We shouldn't be shooting ourselves in the foot, especially for a corps originally founded as Most Precious Blood and still touting to honor the memory of CYO Nationals.

If this is the only weekend, facilities are available read the handwriting on the wall about WHY. Choose another facility.

And ditto to the Cascades.

I noticed that DCI showed no photos of either corps until well into the season.

I seriously doubt BAC scheduling a camp for the Easter weekend was a malicious disregard for the holiday observance. More likely it appeared to be a three day weekend for many MM's (who might not all be celebrating Easter) that provided an opportunity for a fruitful camp. I believe BITD when I was an MM I rehearsed on Easter Sunday while my mother accused us all of being heathens. Regarding your comment about DC pulling families apart; this is VOLUNTARY participation. No one is running off to join DC & breaking up their family. Usually, and as evidenced on DCP, there is quite a bit of family unity and support for MM's. Through generations even. Please don't go throwing a religious finger wagging aspect into this here, is no need to do that. I don't get the lack of photo reference. Are you saying because rehearsals were on easter, DCI showed no photos of BAC & Cascades as a punishment? What are you saying? casue it looks a little whacky.
  • Like 2

Ok, you are having a sarcastic day and I don't want to play that game.

Who was this zillionare that wanted to be sure that the corps aligned with his religious beliefs? And please don't say you want to protect their privacy. That would serve to cast doubt on the veracity of your statement. Personally, I say good to have not had that donation. Sounds like the would be many strings attached and not ones that would enable the corps to function as it needs to. Plus, this corps values are not confused and a statement such as that is insulting to hundreds and hundreds of BAC supporters. Maybe his values simply don't align with DC. Maybe he can continually and happily support whomever he decided is religioulsy align with his beliefs. Good luck to him.
  • Like 1

When drum corps were more neighborhood or regionally based and prior to the 4 month style of scheduling, families and fans could more easily follow their corps by being present more often at practices, performances, and events. I should have said that our current model of drum corps touring does not allow this as frequently due to the high cost in today's economy while junior or miss boards a corps bus not to be seen again until the second week of August. Not everyone is able to volunteer for food crew or other tour duties due to health, job, economy and other obligations. Few families are able to afford more than one sibling being in a World Class corps today, particularly if college tuitions are also needed. It is a question of the economic world in which we live, not a question of the shows the corps present.

It's sometimes kidded that "Boston" is a place in Florida not Massachusetts for today's Crusader corps. There were no DCI drum corps contests this season in Florida; the family of every member from Florida had to spend a nice bit of change to travel to see junior perform in person. Thank God Tom Blair's crew allows them to see such things as Akron and Indy or travel "nearby" to Atlanta in Georgia, not Florida.

Edited by xandandl