"Oh yeah, I forgot about that show..."

BD 93. Don Ellis portrait. OMG that horn line! I think alot of people forget they tied Star for high brass that year.

I don't think Crown had anything to do with Cascades not ever making Finals again.

I wasn't stating that was the reason for them not making finals ever again. I was stating they made finals because Carolina Crown had an off year in 2002. Crown making finals the next year could have something to do with Cascades not making finals that year along with two other corps stepping it up as well. Edited by UKSuperman

I would love to see PR's 2007 show done on G bugles. The voicing/score SCREAMS for that sound. Loved that show thought they were underscored.

• Like 1

Crown 2005. I would have put 2004 on here if it weren't as "cutesy" as it was. But 2005 was the first year in which I thought they had a legitimate chance of making some noise in the top 6 someday. And look where they are now!

Santa Clara Vanguard 1998. A show that had the unfortunate honor of being performed between two of their most famous shows, "Fog City Sketches" and "Inventions for a New Millennium." They brought some very modern and cutting-edge music from Aaron Copland to the field, and won the Sanford too!

I wasn't stating that was the reason for them not making finals ever again. I was stating they made finals because Carolina Crown had an off year in 2002. Crown making finals the next year could have something to do with Cascades not making finals that year along with two other corps stepping it up as well.

I always wondered what it would be like if they still had Paul Rennick, but I guess no one stays with a corps forever off year or not.

Cavaliers 1994 - I was 10 when I first saw it live and while I was weirded out by some of the colorguard moments, it was very memorable. Going back and listening to it later, you realize how beautiful, emotional, and complex the music is - the ballad is just so powerful - something that I hadn't had from the Cavaliers very frequently (with the exception of the Peterloo Overture from their 1992 show). Closing with the Hindemith "March from Symphonic Metamorphosis" is a great cap as well!!!! They also brought us "Sensemaya" before anyone else did (15 years before Crown did it in the Grass is Greener show).

Madison 1992 - City of Angels (2nd time around) - I didn't get to see this show live, but man I absolutely love it. The closer, "Funny" is so powerful - especially the introduction to the piece - wonderful change of mood and very powerful.

1990 and 1992 Blue Devils - Sure today the outfits and design may seem cheesy to some, but they are unbelievably entertaining. Musically full of so much "classic drum corps" (fast runs, driving rhythms, screaming sopranos) - I love the closer of Tommy with the soprano soloist leading into the full tutti brass hits. And as for 1992..."When a Man Loves A Woman" - enough said.

Other ones that don't get enough love I feel - 2000 Boston Crusaders - first time in the top 6 - RED - super entertaining show - and their ballad that year of Con te Partiro with the beautiful double swing flags to maximize the hit. 2006 Blue Knights - especially in the marimba feature with the guard soloist and the corps revolving around her as she whirls her tempest.

Those are just some. Hope you enjoy.

• Like 1

Well, with all the talk about props and staging these days, I encourage younger DCI fans to go back and check out Santa Clara Vanguard in 1986, 87 (the two Russian shows), and 1988 & 89 (the 2 Phantom of the Opera Shows). Beautiful props, staging, some costuming (more so with the guard, but even the eye patch in 89 for the brass was cool), and some awesome music arrangements.

• Like 2

1990 and 1992 Blue Devils - Sure today the outfits and design may seem cheesy to some, but they are unbelievably entertaining. Musically full of so much "classic drum corps" (fast runs, driving rhythms, screaming sopranos) - I love the closer of Tommy with the soprano soloist leading into the full tutti brass hits. And as for 1992..."When a Man Loves A Woman" - enough said.

The 1990 Tommy show was one of my favorites from BD. The music was just awesome. I wasn't wild about the tarps, but they worked. And 1992 has a fabulous closer. I didn't care for the front 1/2 of 92, but the back half of that show was awesome.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

I always wondered what it would be like if they still had Paul Rennick, but I guess no one stays with a corps forever off year or not.

He still arranged for them for at least another year, it just wasn't his primary corps. And I'd guess his leaving had as much to do with a top six corps Phantom Regiment having an opening as it did with Crown finishing outside the top 12.

Also, with the modern Bluecoats doing so well, I encourage younger Bluecoats fans to check out 1988 and 1989. I always loved how they did a drum feature back in those days, especially when they would add guard members to the snare line. It was such a neat gag and always got the fans screaming.