1988 .. an incredible year of change

For the record, this thread was created to celebrate a wonderful year in DCI history. Nowhere in the original post will you find anything that remotely resembles a slight or back on change in DCI nor toward the current progression of the activity. That's why it's in the Historical Forum.

So...............

Let's not make this into something it is NOT.

Back OT ........ please

Um...sorry in advance for the slightly sarcastic reply I am about to give...but....Go back and read the title of the thread again. The thread IS called...."1988.. an incredible year of CHANGE!" :ph34r:

So, anyone talking about "change in DCI toward the current progression of the activity" IS "OT"! Thank you very much.

:doh:

Edited by torn8o

Um...sorry in advance for the slightly sarcastic reply I am about to give...but....Go back and read the title of the thread again. The thread IS called...."1988.. an incredible year of CHANGE!" :doh:

So, anyone talking about "change in DCI toward the current progression of the activity" IS "OT"! Thank you very much.

:doh:

I'm still desperately searching for a spot in the topic that references current progression ... it was clearly in reference to the changes that were taking place in the 80's. (yaknow .. like 20 years ago!!). But you do have a point that without the 80's there would be no 2000's. Without the 70's there would be no 80's blah blah blah. And yes, there were some that took at stab at the current status of the activity right off the bat. I pledge my most humble apology for not Smacking them for you :ph34r:

So, back ON TOPIC .... how about those awesome corps in 1988 EH?

• 7 years later...

OK, a few more...

The 1988 Sky Ryder Contra Section at our championship week housing site near Kansas City..

Certainly one of the most solid, hardworking, fun groups of guys I was ever anywhere near.

Left to Right: Ricky (was DM for Railmen the previous year), D.J., Randy, me, Chris Proctor (his dad became Sky's Corps Director in 90), Russ (became Phantom' DM in 90), Brett (became brass instructor for Colts), Bryan

contras2-RS.jpg

The beer toast after our soli in "The Lonely Goatherd" - during our final runthough.

contras4-RS.jpg

Checking out the field, getting ready for our Finals performance.

88finals1-RS.jpg

The kneel at the end of the opener.

88finals2-RS.jpg

Finals performance, Contra soli in "Goatherd".

(I'm the spread eagle one! That would probably cripple me for life if I tried that right now!)

88finals7-RS.jpg

Drum feature in "Goatherd".

Look at the stride of those the sops! Woohoo!

88finals6-RS.jpg

Did y'all still have the K-90 prototypes in 1988, or were those stock K-90s?

• 3 weeks later...

1988 was certainly a big year for change in drum corps but I look back to my rookie year of 1980 with The Cavaliers as another significant year which set up some future changes. I remember seeing Santa Clara Vanguard for the first time in 1980 in Allentown and we heard SCV was having an "off" year. Well, they weren't! Their brass line and drum line were outstanding as usual but their drill was so asymmetrical and different for its time that we wondered how the judges could even evaluate it fairly.

I recall watching SCV that night and telling my brother Cavaliers, "Someday, everyone will have drills like that."

1988 was certainly a big year for change in drum corps but I look back to my rookie year of 1980 with The Cavaliers as another significant year which set up some future changes. I remember seeing Santa Clara Vanguard for the first time in 1980 in Allentown and we heard SCV was having an "off" year. Well, they weren't! Their brass line and drum line were outstanding as usual but their drill was so asymmetrical and different for its time that we wondered how the judges could even evaluate it fairly.

I recall watching SCV that night and telling my brother Cavaliers, "Someday, everyone will have drills like that."

Of course, it was scores in drums and brass that caused SCV's 7th place finish in 1980. Marching and marching GE both placed higher.

SCVs 88 Phantom of the Opera show was superior to their 89 show in almost every way.

It always amazes me how many people go gaga over SCV 89 and then are left with jaws dropped once they see 88.

Very much agree with these statements. '88 was better then '89. Were they due in '89 because of '88?