Hattiesburg Happenings (July 22)

The "folks" have total control over what information comes out of their smartphone. Not all "the folks" get out their little telephones and tune into DCI for scores during the retreat.

I don't consider it a farce, because the drum major still gets to listen to the cheers of the crowd while representing his corps, and if I'm listening the scores in the stadium, they get my applause. I'm sorry you think its a farce.

I've been at shows were people all around me are loudly announcing who won well ahead of the announcement. Yeah, it's a farce. It's really not about us on the internet waiting...

• Like 1

Didn't they almost go belly-up last year?

from the screaming parents on the post it looks like it. Its not that hard to plan. 2 years ago I co-started an indoor drumline. We did 2 years of our local circuit and we found out the costs of what it will be to go to WGI. JUST PLAN AND BUDGET. I mean it helps that I have a partial degree in accounting and I can figure out numbers but still if you know you dont have enough 1) Ask for donations 2) Dont file for what you know you cant handle

Bd is starting to clean the drill. Cadets better watch out

I'm sure the Cadets have been using the past few days to do some cleaning too.

I'm sure the Cadets have been using the past few days to do some cleaning too.

Actually, according to GH's Facebook, they've been learning some new closer drill. Major changes coming to the show.

Since retreat only happen once in a blue moon (the last retreat I remember other than finals by a DCI show was at CYO Nationals Tribute in 2011) and at some shows you do not get encores, keeping an audience engaged while waiting for scores can be tough. If I was just waiting for the scores to be announced without anything to hold my interest, I might be tempted to leave if I knew scores were already online. I haven't yet, but if I knew I'd be battling traffic and wanted a head start I might leave early. That being said, not posting scores until after they've been announced to the audience that paid the ticket price to be in attendance is an easy fix for DCI. Tonight's shows would have been an exception since people at home may have paid to see them via computer. They too paid a ticket price, so to speak.

• Like 1

With only one corps in the class..... the judges could have scored Southwind at 89.00...... Scores depend on a lot of things, such as leaving room for the corps to follow (in that class ------ and there were none). Unfair to compare Southwind tonight with Stars any date...... just not relative in scoring.

You must not have been following drum corps lately, giving Southwind an 89.00 would put them 0.20 above the Blue Devils. Maybe the last time you followed drum corps Southwind was competing but they are on the same sheets.