2017 PREDICTIONS!

2 hours ago, defeldus2 said:

Judging from previews, I can't see anyone beating BD this year. Jesus. They're formulaic at this point, but it's a fantastic formula and they kill it on execution. Some of my favorite music in years.

I agree with this. Blue Devils seem poised to dominate the year. If, for some unexpected reason they do not win, I cannot imagine them lower than second. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

Ok, I'm putting this down before anyone competes just to refer back later to see who does better/worse than my expectations. To me, this is more like handicapping than predicting though as I'm mostly going by stats, trends, and organizational activity more than any kind of gut feeling or personal response to announced themes and tunes.

1. Bluecoats
2. Blue Devils
The Golden Tier: These two have consistency in their orgs and are attracting the top talent. I'm giving the win to Bloo because they have been improving their margin relative to BD every year since 2012: 2012 -6.15, 2013 -4.7, 2014 -2.525, 2015 -.725, 2016 +.4. BD always seems to bounce back strongly after a loss so we'll see which trend holds up for '17. I think it will take a serious design issue to see either of these groups not get a medal.
------------
 Carolina Crown

The Bronze Tier: 

Not sure how you don't consider Crown a top tier, considering their consistency since 2009. 5 medals - 1 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze. 11 caption awards (including dominance last year). 

Compared to Bloo: 4 medals - 1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze. Not sure on their caption count but it's definitely lower. 

Bloo has the current hype after winning last year, and I do consider them in the top just because they've nailed their style and corps identity. I just think it's hard to put Crown in the same group as Cavies, Cadets, and SCV considering their outright dominance of all 3 in the past 8 years or so. Crown is always a medal threat, the others are on the cusp of being so (which is why they are tier 2). A lot of people are doubting Crown because of the staff changes or conceptual show, but I'm not worried.  I definitely don't see this being a 2014 year for Crown. 

My tiers: 

Tier 1 

Blue Devils

Bluecoats

Crown

Tier 2

SCV 

Cadets

Cavaliers

Tier 3

Blue Knights

Phantom Regiment

Tier 4

Blue Stars

Boston Crusaders

Crossmen

Academy

Madison Scouts

Of that list, I think Cavaliers are the most likely to move up based on what we know, and Bluecoats will of course face the most pressure coming off a championship. Blue Devils are the clear target so far though. Crown and Cadets are wildcards for multiple reasons. The bottom 4 spots are going to be really interesting to watch with Academy coming off a landmark year, Boston retooling their staff in huge ways, and Madison having a lot to prove to themselves after 2016's heartbreaking conclusion. 

Edited by defeldus2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, defeldus2 said:

Not sure how you don't consider Crown a top tier, considering their consistency since 2009. 5 medals - 1 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze. 11 caption awards (including dominance last year). 

Compared to Bloo: 4 medals - 1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze. Not sure on their caption count but it's definitely lower. 

Bloo has the current hype after winning last year, and I do consider them in the top just because they've nailed their style and corps identity. I just think it's hard to put Crown in the same group as Cavies, Cadets, and SCV considering their outright dominance of all 3 in the past 8 years or so. Crown is always a medal threat, the others are on the cusp of being so (which is why they are tier 2). A lot of people are doubting Crown because of the staff changes or conceptual show, but I'm not worried.  I definitely don't see this being a 2014 year for Crown. 

My tiers: 

Tier 1 

Blue Devils

Bluecoats

Crown

Tier 2

SCV 

Cadets

Cavaliers

Tier 3

Blue Knights

Phantom Regiment

Tier 4

Blue Stars

Boston Crusaders

Crossmen

Academy

Madison Scouts

Of that list, I think Cavaliers are the most likely to move up based on what we know, and Bluecoats will of course face the most pressure coming off a championship. Blue Devils are the clear target so far though. Crown and Cadets are wildcards for multiple reasons. The bottom 4 spots are going to be really interesting to watch with Academy coming off a landmark year, Boston retooling their staff in huge ways, and Madison having a lot to prove to themselves after 2016's heartbreaking conclusion. 

Crown definitely has the brass strength again, but I think the staff changes from the off season will hinder them at some point in this season, as the same for the Cadets, on the other hand, from what I've seen, I can see BAC breaching into tier 2... they look pretty good so far 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

So what would you say would keep Boston from reaching the next level?  I'm thinking their guard is there for sure.  But I'd love to know your thoughts on what the corps hurdles are for advancement to the upper tier?  Thanks in advance.

So next level?  Harder book performed by a higher percentage of their entire guard.

I have a strong feeling Boston's guard will be very effective in GE and composition, originality and overall adding to the visual performance of the entire drum corps.  They can score top five by achieving in all these areas.  I can see that they are well trained and will be wonderful all season.  They final part in the puzzle, the way I see it, is in equipment vocabulary.  The depth of their technical and expressive training and the degree of achievement of the material they are performing.

BD's flight of the bumblebee is a high achievement section with 20 plus performers in unison.  Crown last year opened with 42 rifles, again in unison and they also achieved.  Top of the food chain. 

Same goes with BAC horns vs. Crown horns.  Both can achieve and be effective, but chances are the Book of Crown will get the higher number.   GO BAC.

my 2cents.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cop said:

So next level?  Harder book performed by a higher percentage of their entire guard.

I have a strong feeling Boston's guard will be very effective in GE and composition, originality and overall adding to the visual performance of the entire drum corps.  They can score top five by achieving in all these areas.  I can see that they are well trained and will be wonderful all season.  They final part in the puzzle, the way I see it, is in equipment vocabulary.  The depth of their technical and expressive training and the degree of achievement of the material they are performing.

BD's flight of the bumblebee is a high achievement section with 20 plus performers in unison.  Crown last year opened with 42 rifles, again in unison and they also achieved.  Top of the food chain. 

Same goes with BAC horns vs. Crown horns.  Both can achieve and be effective, but chances are the Book of Crown will get the higher number.   GO BAC.

my 2cents.

Got it.  Thanks.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the brass.  And especially the guard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, defeldus2 said:

Cadets will NO WAY be top 6 this year. NO WAY.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Cadets will NO WAY be top 6 this year. NO WAY.

How would you know if judging hasn't even started? Lots of things happen in the span of a season. I wouldn't count anyone out at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, kinetic inferno11 said:

How would you know if judging hasn't even started? Lots of things happen in the span of a season. I wouldn't count anyone out at this point.

Lol he has outlandish opinions before the season's started every year. Once he's made his opinion, it rarely changes and he then disappears until next May/June

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Lol he has outlandish opinions before the season's started every year. Once he's made his opinion, it rarely changes and he then disappears until next May/June

Outlandish? I said last year, at this time, the Cadets could finish 6th and what happened. Go back and look. After seeing the show, it's not outlandish in the least. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I've seen plenty of footage of them at all his point this season to agree. I think they'll be as high as 7, but could be as low as 10th.

• Like 1