Carolina Crown 2017

I always thought it interesting that across many threads over the years I have read here, encompassing numerous subjects, when the conversation of  these kids ages comes up, there are always two camps.  The 'most of them are college age kids'  camp will argue that these college age members are old enough to do many things and we should leave them alone because they are college age.  Yet, criticize the performance, and then the conversation turns to 'Won't someone please think of the children'  (insert the Maude Flanders meme here)

Anyways, it would appear there are options.  The performer who was the vocalist for Troopers in 2015 is aging out in the Crown guard.

It's just "pitchy, dogg"  ($1 to Randy Jackson)

My apology to the Crown fans for the hijack.

• Like 1

Here's the thing, DCP is our community, and as members of this community we can choose how we wish to behave. Everyone has opinions and in my mind that's a good thing. But when we, as a community, stoop to the level of name calling it says something about the rest of us if we don't (at the very least) take action against it. This has nothing to do with hurting someone's feelings, rather, mutual respect for the performers and the other people in the community. If it's that difficult for someone to engage with that level of respect than maybe they should find another community to join. 

That said I'm tired of beating this dead horse and would like to get back to discussing drum corps. 

• Like 3

I'm going to say this as sweetly as I can:  I don't like singing in drum corps but it's unfair to take this out on Crown's singer.  It's not her fault, it's not Crown's fault, and it's not even the fault of "younger" program designers.

The issue is with the Rules Committee.  We're not going back to the tick system, we're not going back to G bugles, we're not going back to flag presentations, we're not going back to a double gunshot at 11:30, and we're not going to eliminate electronics -- but the singing needs to go.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I'm going to say this as sweetly as I can:  I don't like singing in drum corps but it's unfair to take this out on Crown's singer.  It's not her fault, it's not Crown's fault, and it's not even the fault of "younger" program designers.

The issue is with the Rules Committee.  We're not going back to the tick system, we're not going back to G bugles, we're not going back to flag presentations, we're not going back to a double gunshot at 11:30, and we're not going to eliminate electronics -- but the singing needs to go.  

Curious why you would blame the rules committee. No one is forcing any corps to use a certain vocal/instrument. Plenty of corps choose not to have singing or to not use trombones/French horns, etc 

• Like 3

Just now, Cappybara said:

Curious why you would blame the rules committee. No one is forcing any corps to use a certain vocal/instrument. Plenty of corps choose not to have singing or to not use trombones/French horns, etc 

You're right.  I just wish vocals were expressly prohibited.  

• Like 1

Just now, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I'm in agreement with you there. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kevin. said:

Yep.  I wanted to see some Sacktig drill from the hi cam.  Frustrating.  

When I saw them in the theater it was apparent Sacktig was writing it for me.  I have to say I thought May was a good fit for that brass line. I loved their marriage of brass and drill.

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I'm glad you don't have a vote to get rid of it then lol. DCI does market as Marching MUSIC's Major League after all...

1 hour ago, dcsnare93 said:

I don't mind voice being allowed, but I do wish more corps would realize it's hardly ever done well and that they're most likely not an exception to that.

I'm willing to bet staff members know they don't have people with the calibers of Beyonce, Adele, or Aguilera (pick your top vocalist out there) with them on tour... I have yet to hear a BAD/MEDIOCRE singer in a DCI show since it's been allowed though.