What is your opinion on MM's switching corps?

13 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Youre a legend!

But not for what you think. He is mostly known for his ground-breaking research and dialog on laws of Competitive Inertia. :ninja:

Edited by mingusmonk
Forgot a smiley.
  • Like 3

When it cost less to march, I don't think it was as much a concern.  You could march several seasons for what one costs now.  

However, I think that Open Class is trying to keep costs down to give MM's more seasons before they move up the food chain.  

I don't have a problem with it, as many only march a few seasons.  Life has things for them to do.  College, internships, trade schools, military...etc.  And that's ok.  Times change.

I think as long as they march, and then may their alumni dues after, its their prerogative.  But it's not always chasing a ring.  Sometimes is because you enjoy the style of show they perform, sometimes it's because you wonder if "the grass really is greener", and if you only have a few seasons you can march or afford... why not? Give it a try. 

• Like 1

It happens for a variety of reasons. IMO shame on corps one for not creating an environment that keeps the kid wanting to stay there thru age out 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It happens for a variety of reasons. IMO shame on corps one for not creating an environment that keeps the kid wanting to stay there thru age out 

STOLEN! 

i'll bet you were just butthurt and took this without asking.  

YOU BIG BULLY!

Wholeheartedly believe in it. It's up to the corps to create an environment that makes people want to keep coming back. If this were just summer camps, with kids going from one to another, no one would care. Because corps compete against each other, that's why it sometimes comes with some a stigma that really shouldn't apply. 

Being totally honest here...

I marched Freelancers 87-92. I flirted with Blue Devils for my ageout year. Whilst I was in a Top 12 corps, I never experienced the thrill of "winning". I was curious what swagger felt like and I had a lot of friends in Concord. That said, I ended up going back to Freelancers. As the story unfolded, we beat Glassmen by 0.1 and made Finals with a VERY young corps after a massive ageout class the year before. 

While I have no regrets about my junior corps career, I do often wonder what it would have been like marching in a contender. In all my  years of marching, believe it or not, I never experienced a "90". 

Still haven't (LOL), but there's time and a few more years in these old legs yet! So no, as long as the corps member isn't a jerk about it, and is moving for the right reasons, I have no problem with someone marching different corps. No one organization "owns" the rights to individual members.

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 2

What is the reality? People switch corps all the time, it's the way it is. I'm from Massachusetts. When I was eligible to march corps were still somewhat local (I would have aged out in 1984), but I knew kids who marched with Madison and Cadets, and a few years earlier it was not unheard of for marching members to jump from one local corps to another. Also, 27th gained many members from Avsnt Guard and Memphis Blues when these organizations disbanded, and they did not hail from Greater Boston. You also had kids who attended college in the area who were from out of state who marched with local corps, so I know this is not new.

What  is my preference? Find a corps that fits, march three or four years, age out as a veteran. That being said, we often criticize those who jump from corps to corps, but we don't seem to be as critical of corps who cut kids if more talented members audition. So it needs to be a two way street.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I know you feel this way, and it might have worked in our day to stay at a corps for half-dozen years and help propel a corps up.  Today, average ages allow 3, and possibly 4, years in the activity, and there are corps that stay in their placement bracket for decades.  For a kid who has dreams of marching in the big leagues, they just don't have time for a corps to move up if they want to themselves.

And I reserve the right to rethink my position on this as I reflect on what I've always thought and what I've experienced with a 17 year old rookie tryout in the house.

1 hour ago, Cainan said:

Being totally honest here...

I marched Freelancers 87-92. I flirted with Blue Devils for my ageout year. Whilst I was in a Top 12 corps, I never experienced the thrill of "winning". I was curious what swagger felt like and I had a lot of friends in Concord. That said, I ended up going back to Freelancers. As the story unfolded, we beat Glassmen by 0.1 and made Finals with a VERY young corps after a massive ageout class the year before. 

While I have no regrets about my junior corps career, I do often wonder what it would have been like marching in a contender. In all my  years of marching, believe it or not, I never experienced a "90". 

Still haven't (LOL), but there's time and a few more years in these old legs yet! So no, as long as the corps member isn't a jerk about it, and is moving for the right reasons, I have no problem with someone marching different corps. No one organization "owns" the rights to individual members.

That was a great visual following along with your words.  I loved the Freelancers, and the Glassmen! 

I'd be willing to bet, however, that there were something like 600-700 "audition campers" at this year's number-12 placed corps.  Were there that many trying to get into Freelancers BITD?  Heck, the number 22-placed WC corps has several hundred kids attending "audition camps".  It is a different metric today, isn't it?

42 minutes ago, Tim K said:

What is the reality? People switch corps all the time, it's the way it is. I'm from Massachusetts. When I was eligible to march corps were still somewhat local (I would have aged out in 1984), but I knew kids who marched with Madison and Cadets, and a few years earlier it was not unheard of for marching members to jump from one local corps to another. Also, 27th gained many members from Avsnt Guard and Memphis Blues when these organizations disbanded, and they did not hail from Greater Boston. You also had kids who attended college in the area who were from out of state who marched with local corps, so I know this is not new.

What  is my preference? Find a corps that fits, march three or four years, age out as a veteran. That being said, we often criticize those who jump from corps to corps, but we don't seem to be as critical of corps who cut kids if more talented members audition. So it needs to be a two way street.

Man, this is SO, SO true, in my very recent experience.  I'm glad you stated this.

Or worse, accept with a wave of the hand the practice of using kid's willingness to pay as an incentive to invite them for a "call-back" audition.

Or confuse with misleading explanations of "experience camp".  In my world there will be a tall and very bright line between "experience" and "audition".

• Like 2