Corps member getting kicked out

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

And two years later when muchachos staff and top talent migrated to Bridgemen, same thing happened. A top 2 DCI corps outed by Phantom. They did exhibition at finals and a closed score (4th place) noted but were probably 2 if the shenanigans didn't occur. 

While I think Bridgemen were a top 4 corps in 1977, I don't think it's a given that they would have finished top 2. 

11 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

While I think Bridgemen were a top 4 corps in 1977, I don't think it's a given that they would have finished top 2. 

Only that they won DCI East against Phantom who was second by 4 points!  If judges were willing, it wouldn't have been shocking.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Just now, jwillis35 said:

Interesting.  When I first started attending shows, I used to hear rumors about Madison all the time. Never really believed it, but there were many who joked about the age of their lead sops and contras and how they should have been home working to feed their families.  Most of these jokes, I am sure, were just people having fun with rumors.  

True. In our case, it was our relative youth I think, as compared to our competitors. For example, of our three tri toms in 1971, I was the youngest...did not turn 18 until after the 71 season, and the other two were just 18 at the time. Same with the snare line...they ranged from 16-19. Blue Rock, on the other hand, had members right at the outer edge...this was their best and finest year...they won drums at VFW Nats...they just looked so much older than us.

23 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Only that they won DCI East against Phantom who was second by 4 points!  If judges were willing, it wouldn't have been shocking.

...and were beaten the next day by 27th at CYO Nationals.  Who finished fourth (or fifth) at DCI finals.  Bridgemen were scored in fourth before the disqualification was upheld.

29 minutes ago, Tobias said:

That was a full month+ prior to DCI champs. I don't see Bayonne beating Regiment after that on fromthepressbox, though they were close to each other most of the time. It would not have been out of the question, for sure, just not a given.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

That was a full month+ prior to DCI champs. I don't see Bayonne beating Regiment after that on fromthepressbox, though they were close to each other most of the time. It would not have been out of the question, for sure, just not a given.

It was feasible but not a given 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, resguy said:

...and were beaten the next day by 27th at CYO Nationals.  Who finished fourth (or fifth) at DCI finals.  Bridgemen were scored in fourth before the disqualification was upheld.

I believe Bridgemen were 3rd in prelims, 4th in finals.

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Sadly i think something happened finals day with 2000 BD. Think a bass player was caught with drugs and sent home. But later that evening after BD had left to take the field for their finals run, he grabbed his uniform and drum, ran onto the field before anyone could stop him. He was immediately arrested afterward and didn't take part in retreat. Please don't quote me on all that as i may have missed something or said something false. Maybe someone who was there has more accurate info. 

This story is partially correct, but I will not fill in the details.  The overall gist of the idea is on the mark.

Similarly, I believe 1-2 cymbals from SCV were kicked out in 2009 for a similar infraction involving narcotics.

• Like 1

1967 American Legion Nationals  Boston Crusaders won the prelims with a 87.833.  Chicago Cavaliers were fourth at 84.000.  Before finals, someone dimed out (only $.10 to make a phone booth call then) the Crusaders for an overage tenor drummer.  Finals had Cavies 1st with a 83.433 and Boston 2nd with a 83.000.  The next major "contest" was the CYO Nationals a few days later.  Boston's manager Joe Dowling said to a few folks he was really concerned how the corps would act if they lost the CYO.  1st was Boston at 88.08 and the Cavies at 84.83.

At the finals that BRASSO mentioned about the Muchachos, their great soprano soloist Jeff Kievit (who might still be playing on Broadway) played a short rendition of a solo (I believe) that he played in their routine.  You could hear it on the NPR broadcast.

• Like 1

With DCA's Sunrisers, two of our members were dismissed the day of a show in 1977.

I won't share any other details.

No, I wasn't one of them. :tongue: