The Cavaliers 2018, 70 years of excellence

WOW! I was very impressed with The Cavaliers.  Last year this was a corps that really cleaned their feet, marched a beast of a show, had wonderful percussion, and had one of the few guards to be right there with BD and SCV.  Their brass last year was pretty solid too, but I didn't care for some of the overlapping of source material.

This years' corps seems to have the potential to have everything they had last year with even better brass and very effective show design. Loved the screaming trumpeter and the brass is really featured nicely in this show. So is percussion. Those rifles...nice!  I also love the small, but effective, uniform change in the brass and percussion. Well done.  

This show has been planned out well and if this corps cleans and makes the right edits they can definitely contend. They seem very confident already as marchers. 

• Like 4

I'm just spitballing...but I'm guessing the Cavs staff isn't going to be overjoyed that the local newspaper posted this. I saw it as part of a donor's group on Facebook ( though from the pressbox, not this angle) and they were super careful to ask that it not be shared. But that horse has clearly left the barn. Happy Sunday to all...4 days until this is a competition instead of an exhibition. 

Edited by PopcornEater1963
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'm just spitballing...but I'm guessing the Cavs staff isn't going to be overjoyed that the local newspaper posted this. I saw it as part of a donor's group on Facebook ( though from the pressbox, not this angle) and they were super careful to ask that it not be shared. But that horse has clearly left the barn. Happy Sunday to all...4 days until this is a competition instead of an exhibition. 

I thought of this, too. I like following rules, or these kinds of requests. On the other hand, the video is really just a teaser. Much that is tough to see and grasp. A good teaser, mind you. Surely there are bunches of fresh stuff to enjoy Thursday. (Not by me that night, though I see them live Saturday and Sunday!)

Used Apple Music this morning to play Bolero by Berlin Philharmonic.

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Evidently, the Cavs staff got to the The Daily Telegram in Adrian Michigan to have them remove that video....Temptation taken care of! 

Glad I got to see it then. Sorry Hook.

• Like 1

Lots of impressive things from the corps. Competitively? Who knows. But what I can say with confidence is that no one will be able to blame any section of the corps for not being up to par with any other corps subcaption.

No way the broadcast on Thursday will do justice to the amount of things going on. Unless Tom Blair has been doing a ton of studying. I recommend high cam to the flo-watchers for a while this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow. While I wouldn’t call it Mad World part two, I do feel that it is similar, in that it feels more organic with room to layer and grow over the season as it did in 2010. (If I remember correctly Cavies were in the 5th/6th spot until Texas tour and then the show clicked and started scoring.)

Brass is definitely at another level, drums already sound amazing and  it looks to be another entertaining top guard. 

So much going on it’s going to take multiple views to really be able to appreciate this production (glad I get to see them 10 times this summer).

highlights for me: 

-the hit in the Ballad

-Bolero section towards the end.

-also like the hints of over the rainbow in a few spots

show will definitely have the crowd on its feet throughout the summer but especially Indy.

like others have said, who knows where anyone will fit competitively but this design for sure is Top Six without a doubt.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, littlejaw said:

Lots of impressive things from the corps. Competitively? Who knows. But what I can say with confidence is that no one will be able to blame any section of the corps for not being up to par with any other corps subcaption.

No way the broadcast on Thursday will do justice to the amount of things going on. Unless Tom Blair has been doing a ton of studying. I recommend high cam to the flo-watchers for a while this season.

Well of course Tom Blair is a Cavies' snare line alum.