2018 Blue Stars

9 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

It does sound monotonous. There really doesn't seem to be much variation. No anticipation. No building up into a crescendo and then impact set. It's all just...there in your face. 

And yeah the yellow shoes are going to make footwork errors stick out badly. 

I haven't seen much in the way of developing the theme. Like someone said, it's people dressed up like carpenters playing any music. 

Again, good concept, poor design development. We'll see what they fix.

Also, all the fancy footwork stuff, the auxiliary visuals, is just way too much and seems to be inserted for the purpose of hiding crooked lines. The visual package as a whole looks gimmicky. 

Sorry I have so much criticism in this post. The criticism is directed towards design and not performance. 

If you can show me a group with clean lines in June throughout the whole show I'll be impressed :tongue: Add now clean later. 

• Like 1

I've said it before; Ward Miller has done wonders with that hornline and I still believe that caption is the strength of the corps. One positive I can give this show, in addition to the outstanding talent and sound of the brass, is that there is no love story attached. I honestly want them to do well and place as high as possible; however, the corps in their grouping from last year are sounding great and looking good, too. There is going to be one H*** of a great corps missing finals, this year, and I hope the Blue Stars aren't that corps.  

I see a lot of good things starting them off this season, can't wait to see where it takes them!

42 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I've said it before; Ward Miller has done wonders with that hornline and I still believe that caption is the strength of the corps. One positive I can give this show, in addition to the outstanding talent and sound of the brass, is that there is no love story attached. I honestly want them to do well and place as high as possible; however, the corps in their grouping from last year are sounding great and looking good, too. There is going to be one H*** of a great corps missing finals, this year, and I hope the Blue Stars aren't that corps.  

I really do not foresee this show missing finals.  One thing it has over other groups in their tier, is personality and a difference.  It might not be to everyone's taste but thats what makes the activity so wonderful.

Will be interesting to see what the judges make of it and how they stack up against Phantom (remembering they were only tenths away from them at finals last year).

4 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

It does sound monotonous. There really doesn't seem to be much variation. No anticipation. No building up into a crescendo and then impact set. It's all just...there in your face. 

And yeah the yellow shoes are going to make footwork errors stick out badly. 

I haven't seen much in the way of developing the theme. Like someone said, it's people dressed up like carpenters playing any music. 

Again, good concept, poor design development. We'll see what they fix.

Also, all the fancy footwork stuff, the auxiliary visuals, is just way too much and seems to be inserted for the purpose of hiding crooked lines. The visual package as a whole looks gimmicky. 

Sorry I have so much criticism in this post. The criticism is directed towards design and not performance. 

This show, (no show), is not fully developed yet.... the season has not even begun yet...... I completely disagree about your (and the other posters) variation comments.... it is just not so.  there is plenty of variation and more shaping dynamics, crescendos/decrescendos, spacing etc...  of the book will come for sure.     No corps is clean yet, and the corps is no more gimmicky than any other gimmick in drum corps...So what,  that is the fun of it!  Its all a gimmick.  Have a sense of humor. As far as visuals...every corps has them and they are rewarded for sure or corps would not do them.  lastly, the yellow shoes are great... when they march well they will be rewarded for it.  Trying to hide your feet does not fool any judge....they know how you are marching regardless of the color of your shoes or pants.  Blue Stars did just fine marching white shoes in the 1970-90's and again in the modern era of 2008-2009.  I am sure they will dazzle with their clean yellow shoes this year.

Edited by brians
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I really likes the love story aspect. 

I've seen, so far, BD, Regiment, Crown, Cadets, Crossmen, Cavies and Blue Stars. This Blue Stars show is by far my favorite out of that lot. The music, IMO, isn't difficult for the sake of being difficult. The visual design is excellent. There is so much musicality in the music writing. This could very well be my favorite Blue Stars show at the end of the season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I really likes the love story aspect. 

They were stuck in a rut with the love story themes. Almost every show they've done, since their return to Div I, was some sort of love story. If it's true that this year's show has a theme based simply on the progress of construction; that's awesome and is definitely a step in a new direction for corps.  

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

There's no way this show isn't making finals. Unless they make changes for the worst, I just don't see it. This is a upper/mid tier show design IMO. MUCH better than last year. 

• Like 1

When the relationship between John Lennon and Paul McCartney was particularly cool, Lennon said in an interview that McCartney only wrote silly love songs. Instead of taking offense, McCartney wrote "Silly Love Songs" which hit number one on the Billboard charts. In drum corps, was there ever a more feel good and perhaps a bit sappy moment than Crown's use of the poem "Lovers on a Park Bench"? Lots of folks critiqued it, but I don't recall Carolina Crown turning in their gold medals in 2013. So a silly love song added millions to Paul McCartney's already sizable fortune and Philip Glass including a perhaps too sweet poem in "Einstein on the Beach" (Glass did not write the poem himself) which Crown incorporated into their show gave us one of DCI's most memorable moments.

In DCI, if the brass and percussion are strong, the guard is always moving, the show is well designed, gimmicks work and have roots as far back as Bridgemen and Velvet Knights. If any of these elements are lacking, a show appears to be using gimmicks to hide flaws, and this gets noticed.

For tonight, I do expect the top four to be Crown, Cavaliers, Boston Crusaders, and Bluecoats though not necessarily in that order, though I do expect either Cavies or BAC or perhaps both to rain on Crown and Bloo's parade a bit (I am predicting  very slim margin among the top 4), and while I am not one who expects Phantom to have a dismal season as some have suggested, I expect some hefty competition between Phantom and Blue Stars this evening.

• Like 1