Sign in to follow this  
leed17

Video edits 2017

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Every time this happens, someone reminds us that only the organization producing the DVD, i.e., DCI not the corps, can request the synchronization (i.e., video) rights. And DCI apparently can't start the process until they know what music they need to get video rights for, which is to say: after the season.

...

Which appears to mean that even if a corps wants to only use music that will make it possible for their show to be memorialized on video, there's no way for them to know that in advance. Yes? No?

No way for who to know it in advance?  Why not?  I don't understand. 

Is it really not possible for a corps to design a show that they can be confident they will have the rights to be shown on video?

Why was this rarely a problem until recent years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes. With that much cut from the videos I may just buy the CD when they come out and wait till the prices drop next year to pick up the Blu-rays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skevinp said:

No way for who to know it in advance?  Why not?  I don't understand. 

Is it really not possible for a corps to design a show that they can be confident they will have the rights to be shown on video?

Why was this rarely a problem until recent years?

Because DCI may not have been fully compliant with copyright laws. Or they may have been. We don't know. What we surmise is that a couple years ago, DCI received a letter from a deep-pocketed firm that manages the copyrights for a significant portion of the world'd published music, threatening to sue DCI for supposed breaches. We will never officially learn more than that, because whether or not DCI might have been legally in the right, apparently they realized they couldn't afford to fight, so they came to a new agreement with that company.

One guess that has been put forward is that, while DCI obviously had obtained licenses for its video products through the years, and especially since the turn of the century, they may or may not have acquired licensing for (1) material initially sold on VHS to be sold anew on DVD and more likely (2) some material appeared on the Fan Network, a platform that might not have been encompassed by their earlier video licensing permissions, and that may have have left them vulnerable to this attack.

The first hint that DCI's audiences had about something being amiss came about three years ago, as I recall, when without any notice about a third of the videos on the Fan Network were taken down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kamarag said:

 

I don't agree with that at all. I'm an arranger. They made it *much* easier for me to figure out what music I can write for my band, how much it will cost in rights, and how easy it is to get. They cut down my workload substantially, and the whole system is automated. Tresona has saved me, and the bands I write for, a lot of time and money. Tresona doesn't make the law...but they do give us an avenue to follow it correctly.

The fact that Tresona makes a buck off me and my band isn't something that bothers me in the slightest. There's a ton a value in the service they provide. They've also made it easy for me to sell my work to other customers, and for that I thank them.

 

You don't hate Tresona...you hate existing copyright law. And so do I.

Use them for the winter and makes rights for our arranger easier.  Takes minutes to fill out and submit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

 

So, you haven't used and do not understand Tresona, do you?

John,

We rarely agree on anything. You don't have to be insulting about it. I just don't think you should put words into people's mouths...

I've dealt with Tresona in the past and I know what they do.  What gives you the right to put your values on others and backhandedly call them stupid because they don't share your view of things? Nothing.

You're just a know-it-all bully and condescending, and it gets old. Your opinion is yours and other people can like or dislike an organization for whatever reason. As far as Tresona...

"They're really a very aggressive company that came out of nowhere with untested theories," Craig said. "We're thrilled for Mr. Carroll to have defeated Tresona. Tresona's a very aggressive copyright troll."

http://www.latimes.com/socal/burbank-leader/news/tn-blr-me-music-suit-20161230-story.html

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Because DCI may not have been fully compliant with copyright laws. Or they may have been. We don't know. What we surmise is that a couple years ago, DCI received a letter from a deep-pocketed firm that manages the copyrights for a significant portion of the world'd published music, threatening to sue DCI for supposed breaches. We will never officially learn more than that, because whether or not DCI might have been legally in the right, apparently they realized they couldn't afford to fight, so they came to a new agreement with that company.

One guess that has been put forward is that, while DCI obviously had obtained licenses for its video products through the years, and especially since the turn of the century, they may or may not have acquired licensing for (1) material initially sold on VHS to be sold anew on DVD and more likely (2) some material appeared on the Fan Network, a platform that might not have been encompassed by their earlier video licensing permissions, and that may have have left them vulnerable to this attack.

The first hint that DCI's audiences had about something being amiss came about three years ago, as I recall, when without any notice about a third of the videos on the Fan Network were taken down.

I'm not talking about rights to past shows DCI thought they had based on an interpretation of existing licenses.  I'm talking about corps securing rights (including video, not just performance) before putting a show on the field to begin with.  Why can they not do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beckham said:

 and wait till the prices drop next year to pick up the Blu-rays.

Been doing this for several years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Blu-ray/DVD sets
• Blue Devils – 0:42 has been omitted ("Stay (from 'Interstellar')”)

• The Cavaliers – 2:02 has been omitted ("On the Nature of Daylight," "The Sun's Gone Dim")

• Boston Crusaders – 2:42 has been omitted ("Wicked Game")

• Blue Knights – 2:29 has been omitted ("107 Steps")

• Blue Stars – 3:14 has been omitted ("Come What May (Te Amare)," "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend,” "Kissing You")

CD set
• Blue Devils B – :09 of pre-recorded audio has been omitted

• Spartans – 1:55 of pre-recorded audio has been omitted

 

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211685375

So almost an entire drum corps' show worth of time on the Blu-ray to watch in silence.  

Another year I won't be purchasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Barneveld said:

• Boston Crusaders – 2:42 has been omitted ("Wicked Game") 

If their show is timed at 10:30 this is around 23% of the show.  That's a tough loss, especially since WG is a major highlight of the show.  The 3:14 for the Blue Stars is a big hit.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skevinp said:

I'm not talking about rights to past shows DCI thought they had based on an interpretation of existing licenses.  I'm talking about corps securing rights (including video, not just performance) before putting a show on the field to begin with.  Why can they not do that?

One reason is video rights are not the purview of the individual corps. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this