The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Funny thing: 7 years ago knew deep in this adamantly told a student not to go there.

then taught there themselves 

Hey, would you clean up that first sentence so I (maybe others) can understand just what the check you're saying?

Thanks, pal

7 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

Maybe it's me, but I don't see anything new in the article.

Is the Sunday version out?  I'm not cluttering things up just to read it - I hope it's linkable somehow, or C&P without breaking DCP rules.

Just now, garfield said:

Is the Sunday version out?  I'm not cluttering things up just to read it - I hope it's linkable somehow, or C&P without breaking DCP rules.

Philly.com has 3 articles.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

You bring up some excellent points, especially how early it is in the process of healing. I know nothing of what revelations come forward beginning today, but I am starting to think the group most negatively impacted is the organization labeled Youth Education in the Arts. Drum Corps International can endure this, I'm sure. I believe the division labeled Cadets will also be fine after removing most, if not all, of the managers. I am particularly concerned about the future of Cadets2. Surprising to many would be how young that ensemble really is.

I would like to see Youth Education in the Arts go away entirely. That brand has been severely damaged. Of course, YEA does many good works despite the past connection with the accused. Still, all of the non-Cadets functions can be parceled out and survive so far as we can tell now.

It's important for a highly visible change to take place. In my mind, that would be erasing the name Youth Education in the Arts and discovering new vehicles to assume its current offerings. All of the affiliated high school bands aren't going anywhere. The Cadets2 component is really not essential, and there are several Allentown Area groups in place to absorb the rest of what happens locally.

I just can't stop thinking about this situation but feel confident DCI, and even the Cadets, will be around for a very long time going forward. Different, perhaps.

Bands are making some decisions as we speak. Some may stay. But if I’m a school administrator, even if there’s new leadership in place, do you want your schools name tied to it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inbetween said:

Any one share information from the new article? Any new information etc? 

No just fleshed more out as well as added stuff from updates as time went on.

but the Sunday paper always sells the most copies because of the coupons, and it’s page 1, then 16-18. So people that don’t follow drum corps or read the website are now seeing it in greater numbers 

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

Hey, would you clean up that first sentence so I (maybe others) can understand just what the check you're saying?

Thanks, pal

Fat fingers on a phone waiting for church. Sorry!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Fat fingers on a phone waiting for church. Sorry!!

lol :-D it's cool... we've all been there. 

Now, off to church! 

19 hours ago, exitmusic said:

6hnJGK8.jpg

How can you interview nine abuse survivors, discover that the one thing that unites them all is their desire not to destroy the drum corps... and then slap that headline on top of it all?

The victims are victimized all over again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CACTSC said:

Yep and therein lies a big problem for all involved. I’m continually amazed that this story has remained under wraps- sort of. One of those worst kept secrets type of thing. 

You and me both. It’s well known 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

the newest statement from the YEA Board continues to make it sound like they aren't going anywhere.

They dug a whole too deep to get out of. They must go. They LET this happen for decades... an "oh, we're sorry" email way after the fact doesn't cut it.

I agree. As well-intentioned as it may have been, the better move would have been to just take down the original response they posted and hire an independent PR firm to handle all official statements from this point forward when it comes to this particular situation.