St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Nah all millennials are narcissistic don’t you get it?

no one said ALL

but be offended anyway - it's the millennial thing to do lol 

10 hours ago, 777hornman said:

2 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I don’t understand Blue Stars being a point over Mandarins.    

I have a strong feeling that will NOT happen for much longer.   

I dont understand Mandarins being a point over Crossmen . And Also have a feeling this will not hold. 

I agree 1000%

posted from the DrumScorps app

Just now, George Dixon said:

no one said ALL

but be offended anyway - it's the millennial thing to do lol 

What’s that thing you always complain about? Ageism? Lol :lle:

10 minutes ago, karuna said:

Being rude assumes they KNOW they’re violating good audience behavior.  They probably don’t.  Teach those young fans don’t castigate them. 

I've wished for a long time that the excessive shrieking could be addressed in a lighthearted educational campaign. If WGI/DCI got together on a series of short Youtube videos, with silly subject matter, like a pack of girls following someone around the house and SCREECHING every time the person successfully put a dish away in the cabinet, etc. 

I think there is a way to make the point that everyone loves your enthusiasm, but perhaps be considerate of being overly intrusive on the audience environment. People need to be able to enjoy/appreciate the shows, and that gets diminished rapidly with constant outbursts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I've wished for a long time that the excessive shrieking could be addressed in a lighthearted educational campaign. If WGI/DCI got together on a series of short Youtube videos, with silly subject matter, like a pack of girls following someone around the house and SCREECHING every time the person successfully put a dish away in the cabinet, etc. 

I think there is a way to make the point that everyone loves your enthusiasm, but perhaps be considerate of being overly intrusive on the audience environment. People need to be able to enjoy/appreciate the shows, and that gets diminished rapidly with constant outbursts.

On the other hand you could just give someone the “stank eye” and walk away like a mature adult. That’ll teach em

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

If you can watch the Mandarins again and pay attention to the drum majors and see how complex their tempos and time signatures are, and actually listen to their book, you will have a better understanding why your argument about content is inaccurate. Blue Stars have a good show, but Carpenters music is not that demanding. 

I have seen the Mandarins live and on every broadcast. It's one of my favorite shows this season, as is the Blue Stars. I've been around this activity a long time to know demand and content when I see it. Most corps today, including Mandarins and Blue Stars, have complexities in their music. I never singled out the content of the music itself, anyway. Blue Stars have a harder visual program, a harder guard book, and move much more while playing (that's simultaneous demand, and it matters). The Mandarins should be very proud of what they have achieved. Their staff is smart and JW knows what he's doing. You have to take baby steps to reach higher levels, you don't just throw it all out there from one season to the next, and that's exactly what they are doing. They have designed a show to get them into the bottom tier of finals, and it has worked in my opinion. Blue Stars are playing a different game. They don't want to be in the bottom tier, and they have designed a show with the aim of achieving higher than that. How much they will be able to clean by seasons end will determine whether they achieve that goal or not. I would say it is certainly within their grasp.

Edited by queenanne_1536

The first big show always brings out the nastiness.   

Had a great time just getting to watch last night in St. Louis.  This is such a great year for drum corps from top to bottom, so many great shows.  And I got to watch and talk with some awesome friends.  

Enjoy it while it’s still here folks.  Only a little under four weeks left!  

• Like 2

Maybe DCI could put out a light-hearted/comedic video about fan behavior.  Show it prior to the show and at intermission as well.  Perhaps also a written guide to fan behavior in programs.  It IS an educational activity, which means teaching audience etiquette as well.  We want great crowd reactions-the kind that follow something truly moving.  Supporting every guard catch with a loud shriek as if it’s a programmed, Pavlonian response is perhaps not appropriate.  Now, if a soloist at a dramatic moment nails a 6, then yeah-that’s a moment for a squeal.  Weapon feature-again a correct moment to let the performer know about it.  I once saw “the 10 commandments of audience etiquette” in a concert program.  It was written humorously, while also informing attendees about what to expect and was expected FROM them.  Most folks DON’T understand audience etiquette.  Buying a ticket isn’t a license for personal behavior that sours the experience for other paying customers.  We want more fans and as we get them, need to educate them.  DCI should lead this.  As fans, perhaps an offending nearby attendee could be kindly spoken to between groups by other fans.  Harsh looks or comments probably won’t accomplish much and may be every bit as offensive to surrounding fans.  If you politely address a fellow fan and they get belligerent, or continue the poor behavior-take the problem to an usher.

• Like 3