St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

22 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

It would be annoying. 

But so was 'CRYYYSSTTAALLL!'  'CROSSMEN DRUMLINE!'  'SPANK ME!'

Not to mention 'THEY'RE ALWAYYYSSS READY!'

I remember protracted debates about DUT DUT DUT.

How about staffs going nuts for their corps on the track or even worse, in the middle of the stadium?

I hated the thing two years ago with Carolina Crown, some parent getting up before the show and yelling it's someone's birthday and that everyone should yell 'Happy Birthday!'

Maybe the symphony would be better - on the other hand, ever been to a symphony concert when someone is opening a breath mint wrapper while the orchestra is at pianissimo? I suppose a murder in the balcony would be more disruptive, which is part of the reason I don't do it.

All I'm trying to say is that I think there have always been annoying moments at a show. If some people who have been attending shows for decades see that it is more of an issue nowadays and are annoyed, I think it's understandable. But it's not new in at least one sense.

Is it different at finals? I would think there would be fewer shrieking guard girls front and center there.

Maybe it is more of a problem in the lower rows. I think a lot of fans prefer being up higher and I wonder if those seats, which tend to be filled up ahead of time, unlike lower seats, have less of the fangirls. But I could very well be wrong. I don't attend enough shows to know.

Ive been in this activity for over 30 years and totally agree that inappropriately-timed shouting/yelling has ALWAYS been there. Off the top of my head, I recall 1990 Star of Indiana at finals. During one of the quietest tension-building moments, a few guys in the crowd in unison shout “OH MY GOD THE BABY’S BURNING!” 

Also, kudos on refraining from murder at the symphony. I attend the theater regularly and have the same urge to kill over people (who always seem to sit near me) crinkling plastic wrappers, fiddling with their paper playbills, or crunching their souvenir bag. I think I need to bring along fidget spinners with me and hand them out to these folks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

The first big show always brings out the nastiness.   

Had a great time just getting to watch last night in St. Louis.  This is such a great year for drum corps from top to bottom, so many great shows.  And I got to watch and talk with some awesome friends.  

Enjoy it while it’s still here folks.  Only a little under four weeks left!  

I haven't enjoyed a season this much since 2012.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

On the other hand you could just give someone the “stank eye” and walk away like a mature adult. That’ll teach em

why are you being so insulting? The person you are not too subtly insulting has been a member, fan, donor and volunteer for the activity for DECADES

they aren't just some cranky "old fart"

geez. You weren't even there. Near as I can tell you are NEVER there. Have you ever been a member, volunteer, donor? I don't believe so.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I've wished for a long time that the excessive shrieking could be addressed in a lighthearted educational campaign. If WGI/DCI got together on a series of short Youtube videos, with silly subject matter, like a pack of girls following someone around the house and SCREECHING every time the person successfully put a dish away in the cabinet, etc. 

I think there is a way to make the point that everyone loves your enthusiasm, but perhaps be considerate of being overly intrusive on the audience environment. People need to be able to enjoy/appreciate the shows, and that gets diminished rapidly with constant outbursts.

Part of me loves this, and the video idea is whimsical.

But if you tell people not to react, then either one of two things happen:

1. They don't react at all, not knowing whether or not it's an impact point to which it's appropriate to react

2. They do it anyway, and a lot more people, aware that this shouldn't happen, get upset about etiquette.

Then you end up with 'applause' signs. It's a slippery slope. 

6 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Ive been in this activity for over 30 years and totally agree that inappropriately-timed shouting/yelling has ALWAYS been there. Off the top of my head, I recall 1990 Star of Indiana at finals. During one of the quietest tension-building moments, a few guys in the crowd in unison shout “OH MY GOD THE BABY’S BURNING!” 

Also, kudos on refraining from murder at the symphony. I attend the theater regularly and have the same urge to kill over people (who always seem to sit near me) crinkling plastic wrappers, fiddling with their paper playbills, or crunching their souvenir bag. I think I need to bring along fidget spinners with me and hand them out to these folks. 

Just to be pedantic, I believe the shout was 'Oh my God, the gravy's burning!' 

I can imagine a likely reference - the corps is going through a run, and at this very quiet point, everyone hears a shriek from the kitchen truck where the evening meal is being prepared - 'Oh my God, the gravy's burning!'

FYI, I thought it was 'baby's burning' for years as well.

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

why are you being so insulting? The person you are not too subtly insulting has been a member, fan, donor and volunteer for the activity for DECADES

they aren't just some cranky "old fart"

geez. You weren't even there. Near as I can tell you are NEVER there. Have you ever been a member, volunteer, donor? I don't believe so.

Probably not but they’re always the most loud.  I was the parent of a member, too.  For nine seasons. 

3 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

1. They don't react at all, not knowing whether or not it's an impact point to which it's appropriate to react

2. They do it anyway, and a lot more people, aware that this shouldn't happen, get upset about etiquette.

There will always be a portion of the audience that won't listen to normal etiquette, young or old. That's been a constant always. 

But I think those type of videos, and simple taps on shoulders during shows asking to keep it down, will help immensely to improve the culture. 

2 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Just to be pedantic, I believe the shout was 'Oh my God, the gravy's burning!' 

I can imagine a likely reference - the corps is going through a run, and at this very quiet point, everyone hears a shriek from the kitchen truck where the evening meal is being prepared - 'Oh my God, the gravy's burning!'

FYI, I thought it was 'baby's burning' for years as well.

Same!  Thanks for clearing that up!

Just now, mfrontz said:

That's why it is not presented as a policy of what to do/not to do.

If done correctly, it's a subtle, humorous, etiquette suggestion, like the "silence your cell phone" shorts in the movie theater.

People might stop and think that they don't want to be "that guy" who is overdoing it. 

Society in general has become incredibly myopic and 80% of the people really don't think about how their behavior might affect those around them. Nothing wrong with a lighthearted reminder.

• Thanks 2