St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

Just to be pedantic, I believe the shout was 'Oh my God, the gravy's burning!' 

I can imagine a likely reference - the corps is going through a run, and at this very quiet point, everyone hears a shriek from the kitchen truck where the evening meal is being prepared - 'Oh my God, the gravy's burning!'

FYI, I thought it was 'baby's burning' for years as well.

that's exactly correct - and it was meant to be rude and disruptive and a bunch of people laughed - it was "cool" to  bash Star back in the late 80s early 90s

they were making fun of the big banner that wasn't in English 

9 minutes ago, karuna said:

Being rude assumes they KNOW they’re violating good audience behavior.  They probably don’t.  Teach those young fans don’t castigate them. 

In an ideal world, what you say is true, and I’ve done my fair share of educating fans, however, I’m not sure that most boorish behavior is from newcomers who do not know drum corps. A few years back at prelims a group of young men from an Open Class corps that had competed earlier in the day were particularly obnoxious, so much so the ushers removed them. They knew what constitutes good audience behavior.  That being said, drum corps is not unique in this regard. Any concert held in a stadium, any athletic event, or any other activity where applause is involved has rude behavior. 

However, I have the classic rude behavior story. Last year at prelims, I left at intermission and when I returned someone was in my seat. I took an empty seat nearby which for some reason bothered her. She then lectured me of being seated when a corps begins (I was) and sitting in someone’s seat was wrong, even if they were not occupying it at the time which is true  it I knew the ticket holder and they were not arriving until evening. She left after the performance, I moved back to my seat, then she returned, pointing out I was in her seat. Just in case there was an error, which though unlikely, it is possible that multiple tickets can be issued for the seat, I took out my ticket and pointed out it was my seat. She got an usher who verified it was my seat and then argued with the usher. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

why are you being so insulting? The person you are not too subtly insulting has been a member, fan, donor and volunteer for the activity for DECADES

they aren't just some cranky "old fart"

geez. You weren't even there. Near as I can tell you are NEVER there. Have you ever been a member, volunteer, donor? I don't believe so.

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just disagree with your opinion of people expressing excitement. But then you fell back on the tired "have you ever even marched (etc.)?" logic. 

For the record, I need no qualifications to think it's silly that folks (regardless of their age or years of experience or stature in society) get bent out of shape at kids screaming for guard catches.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

why are you being so insulting? The person you are not too subtly insulting has been a member, fan, donor and volunteer for the activity for DECADES

they aren't just some cranky "old fart"

geez. You weren't even there. Near as I can tell you are NEVER there. Have you ever been a member, volunteer, donor? I don't believe so.

The position of a person does not preclude them from criticism for saying something ridiculous. That's all I have to say

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

that's exactly correct - and it was meant to be rude and disruptive and a bunch of people laughed - it was "cool" to  bash Star back in the late 80s early 90s

they were making fun of the big banner that wasn't in English 

What does gravy burning have to do with Star's banner?  I never thought it was a bash to Star, only some schmuck trying to get on the recording during a quiet moment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I took out my ticket and pointed out it was my seat. She got an usher who verified it was my seat and then argued with the usher. 

Was she asked to show you folks her ticket?

In case anyone has forgotten, part of the DCI script read before every show is the suggestion that everyone scream, yell, applaud, etc. when they see something they like on the field.  We shouldn't be surprised if a few take this suggestion very seriously with "great vigor" (+1 JFK).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Liahona said:

It's a WGI thing I think...anytime I've watched a WGI show I've heard the audience scream like schoolgirls on catches....guess there is bleed over now...

Actually,  the schoolgirls scream like schoolgirls. The rest of us applaud.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just disagree with your opinion of people expressing excitement. But then you fell back on the tired "have you ever even marched (etc.)?" logic. 

For the record, I need no qualifications to think it's silly that folks (regardless of their age or years of experience or stature in society) get bent out of shape at kids screaming for guard catches.

you missed my point. I was expressing the fact that the individual he/she was rudely insulting  in our thread  had a decades long involvement in the activity and doesn't deserve the rudeness. My concerns weren't  the qualifications of the insulter - but rather the vast gulf between the qualification of the lecturer and the insulted. I have the insulting poster on "ignore" and have for years snow, however their posts are still quoted at time. The smugness is alarming since from what I can tell they 1. never marched 2. are young and inexperienced 3. doesn't donate 4. doesn't attend events 5. doesn't volunteer. Near as I can tell their ONLY contribution is to come onto DCP and be smug. And yes - that matters IMO. And with that - I'm (along with Terri it seems) and exited this thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1