Rumblings from CADETLAND

Ahhhh how soon we forget. If this was the RAMD days and people could really tell you how they feel you might just be in the corner crying like you used to do :poke:/>

oh yes "Crying in the corner" - that's what happened :rolleyes:

Hey just so you guys know, He apologized for his comments on his facebook page. People are human. No one is perfect. He made a mistake and apologized.

It was a lousy apology, one of those "if you were offended, then I'm sorry" bits that certain politicians issue when they don't really think they're wrong.

It's bad publicity for DCI, but I'm sure that fans down there will know what to do on show night. Perhaps DCI can make a few extra bux putting up a live feed of Cadets entrance into the stadium. devil.gif

• Like 6

It was a lousy apology, one of those "if you were offended, then I'm sorry" bits that certain politicians issue when they don't really think they're wrong.

It's bad publicity for DCI, but I'm sure that fans down there will know what to do on show night. Perhaps DCI can make a few extra bux putting up a live feed of Cadets entrance into the stadium. devil.gif

Dude get off your soap box geez. I'm sure you said things that weren't exactly pleasant. He's not perfect and neither are you.

• Like 4

Maybe it's just me, but IMHO when someone within the activity does or says something that has potential to affect the activity as a whole, then they should be punished for it. Maybe it's time for DCI to establish some sort of monetary fine to anyone whose actions or words can be detrimental to the health of the activity, the tour, the competition, or the corps?

• Like 3

Dude get off your soap box geez. I'm sure you said things that weren't exactly pleasant. He's not perfect and neither are you.

It's not about a soap box, it's about being aware of the impact of your comments when issued in a public setting. The story in the local news now isn't about how cool drum corps is, it's about someone in drum corps disparaging an entire region of the country because they aren't good enough for his tastes.

The activity and the show sponsors don't need that kind of story. It damages more than just his own credibility.

• Like 3

Maybe it's just me, but IMHO when someone within the activity does or says something that has potential to affect the activity as a whole, then they should be punished for it. Maybe it's time for DCI to establish some sort of monetary fine to anyone whose actions or words can be detrimental to the health of the activity, the tour, the competition, or the corps?

sure - let's start with fining corps who put boring show after boring show on the field

• Like 2

Meh - this seems simple enough. If the District promised certain facilities to the corps, which in fact were already accounted for, then THEY are at fault. It doesn't matter if they have 8 fields with a 200 ft tall press box fully equipped with waterslides down to the astroturf on every one - if they aren't available, then who cares.

Of course none of that excuses a poorly worded and not-at-all thought out public statement, which everyone has said, basically alienates and entire region and dominates headlines in a way that shouldn't happen. People are allowed to make mistakes, but I'm not sure he would even consider this to be one. And lastly - kids in DCI corps are told this all the time: The way you act represents the activity. Are some of the complaints against him ill-informed, and even more poorly worded than the original comment - sure...but that doesn't make the initial writing any more appropriate....

• Like 6

sure - let's start with fining corps who put boring show after boring show on the field

Boring is subjective.

Offensive rants from a corps director are not.

• Like 5

Boring is subjective.

Offensive rants from a corps director are not.

"offensive" is subjective also Steve

I don't disagree at all the rant was stupid. And I actually like your idea of a response from DCI for outrageous things - ala NFL. I'm just not sure this rises to that level - Hopkins didn't "insult the whole South" as folks are trying to portray it - he just said something rude and frankly, dumb

Unfortunately we can't make stupid illegal.

• Like 2

I wish I had the time to find all the negative comments about touring in the South that have been made over the years. There are probably hundreds on these forums alone. That is still no justification for his lack of good judgment.

When is YEA going to get "Hopcheck" installed on his laptop? One might be able to understand his frustration with wanting to give the corps the ideal conditions to prepare, but his reaction is unacceptable. Give me what I want or I'll take my ball and go play elsewhere is not one of the life lessons the activity promotes. The other "6" should think about their spokesperson, and seriously reconsider aligning themselves with his very public lack of consideration for others. His plea to find a "better" housing sight, in the 13th hour, making the statement that "we will pay" is very telling about the poor management and lack of fiscal responsibility that many think is destroying the activity for so many. One would have thought the corps was offered an abandoned rat infested factory or something. Stripe a parking lot and get to work you spoiled brat!

That said, this is also a perfect example of irresponsible media reporting in the interest of getting attention and clicks. The headline itself speaks to that.

• Like 2