Rumblings from CADETLAND

Perhaps we should blame the previous corps that stayed at the housings sites that seem to be so hard to get these days instead of blaming one man's comment on HIS Facebook page.

It was on the Cadets' official Facebook page. I see that they've been removed now, which is good.

• Like 1

Congrats to Cadets tonight in San Antonio. I had them 1st place tonight. They out-executed EVERYONE and it was obvious (except to the judges). I have been a fan of Crown all year (I think they have a slight edge on overall show design) so I was certainly surprised tonight when I saw Cadets kick some serious a s s.

Congrats to Cadets tonight in San Antonio. I had them 1st place tonight. They out-executed EVERYONE and it was obvious (except to the judges). I have been a fan of Crown all year (I think they have a slight edge on overall show design) so I was certainly surprised tonight when I saw Cadets kick some serious a s s.

Cadets were GREAT tonight - I wasn't there in person but I did think they first half to 2/3s were incredible - they've just kicked the tempo up in Medea on and I personally thought it looked a little shaky over the net view I had. Didn't feel "locked in" -- plus the guard judge seriously wacked them :tongue:

Kill the sanctimony. He made a mistake and apologized for it. No one is treating anyone like a revered grandfather. Forgiveness is a powerful thing. Learn how to use it and stop pretending like you're personally affected.

This summer I have been trying to arrange different practice and housing site assistance for three corps. It becomes more difficult each time one of these things happen. What are you doing for drum corps beyond posting here?

Cadets were GREAT tonight - I wasn't there in person but I did think they first half to 2/3s were incredible - they've just kicked the tempo up in Medea on and I personally thought it looked a little shaky over the net view I had. Didn't feel "locked in" -- plus the guard judge seriously wacked them :tongue:/>/>

I was there in person and sat with two brass staffs from other corps. We all thought the corps lost volume in the last third of the show as the kids concentrated on the changes and the control issue. The place also has an echo to contend with, the first indoor contest for Cadets this season.

Didn't understand BD winning. They marched several (maybe even 6) holes including two in the tuba line; their guard dropped a few times besides the planned drops. Cadet guard also lost some equipment.

Crown was good but I have heard their hornline better. Some of their members I spoke with after said echo was a factor. Their drumline was trying "too hard."

SCV really turned it on and lit up the crowd.

Edited by drilltech1

This summer I have been trying to arrange different practice and housing site assistance for three corps. It becomes more difficult each time one of these things happen. What are you doing for drum corps beyond posting here?

I marched and I donate to the drum corps of my choice. Let's not even go there dude. What you do doesn't make you better than anyone else.

• Like 1

Unfortunately he damaged the whole activity's reputation in the area, regardless of the apology. He doesn't need my forgiveness, but it's worth discussing bad PR among the many challenges facing the activity today, particularly as it relates to acquiring housing, which is constantly mentioned as a challenge.

So how many folks are you believing know of Hopkin's off-color comment from his fb page? How many are in the south? How many who read his posts even live in the south?

"damaged the whole activity's reputation in the area". Thats a bit hyperbolic don't you think?

Or has there been some sort of news story all over the south about something a DCI director said, so folks should ensure they don't buy tickets or attend an event? I live in Baton Rouge and haven't seen it.

And by the way, as a life long southerner, the school systems in Louisiana are terrible and I'm not surprised coordinating these things is difficult. I work with several groups that have tried to HELP the school system with free/volunteer support to improve portions of the curriculum. They don't want to be bothered.

Edited by Wadep66
  • Like 2

So how many folks are you believing know of Hopkin's off-color comment from his fb page? How many are in the south? How many who read his posts even live in the south?

"damaged the whole activity's reputation in the area". Thats a bit hyperbolic don't you think?

Or has there been some sort of news story all over the south about something a DCI director said, so folks should ensure they don't buy tickets or attend an event? I live in Baton Rouge and haven't seen it.

Well, yes, there was a news story. I doubt the school in question will be thrilled about the prospect of working with The Cadets again, and they'll think twice before dealing with any drum corps. Hop clearly left a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of people from Ocean Springs, Mississippi, and across the South.

The most important community whose opinion matters, though, is that of band directors who might volunteer their facilities for housing. And lots of band directors pay attention to DCI, and many of them follow The Cadets on Facebook. A lot of those that don't have certainly heard about this outburst from their colleagues. When they see a post from The Cadets titled "Why I usually do not take the Cadets to the South" and then complaining about housing issues, the message the band directors will hear is: "we're hard to work with, and we embarrass people publicly if we're not satisfied, so you're risking your own reputation and that of your school if you advocate for us to your school board or facilities decision-makers".

Ultimately it doesn't matter what you or I think of what Hop posted. What matters is he made a pointless statement on The Cadets Facebook page that upset a lot of people. The last thing DCI needs is to go around upsetting folks they rely on for no reason. Why defend it?

• Like 1

And by the way, as a life long southerner, the school systems in Louisiana are terrible and I'm not surprised coordinating these things is difficult. I work with several groups that have tried to HELP the school system with free/volunteer support to improve portions of the curriculum. They don't want to be bothered.

Well, if you come in offering "help" with a condescending attitude, you're not going to get many takers. Perhaps you should ask them what assistance they need instead of presuming you know. I'm going to guess the number one item on their list is money--for supplies, building maintenance, more space, and more teachers--not additional work in the form of managing untrained volunteers who aren't willing to teach to the curriculum.

Anyway, I'm not sure what this has to do with it. Even if the practice field had turned out to be a quicksand pit, and the housing was a falling-down barn with rabid elephant-sized spiders inside, taking to the corps' Facebook page to complain about it and whine about how you don't like to tour in this part of the country is the wrong thing to do.

• Like 1

Well, yes, there was a news story. I doubt the school in question will be thrilled about the prospect of working with The Cadets again, and they'll think twice before dealing with any drum corps. Hop clearly left a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of people from Ocean Springs, Mississippi, and across the South.

The most important community whose opinion matters, though, is that of band directors who might volunteer their facilities for housing. And lots of band directors pay attention to DCI, and many of them follow The Cadets on Facebook. A lot of those that don't have certainly heard about this outburst from their colleagues. When they see a post from The Cadets titled "Why I usually do not take the Cadets to the South" and then complaining about housing issues, the message the band directors will hear is: "we're hard to work with, and we embarrass people publicly if we're not satisfied, so you're risking your own reputation and that of your school if you advocate for us to your school board or facilities decision-makers".

Ultimately it doesn't matter what you or I think of what Hop posted. What matters is he made a pointless statement on The Cadets Facebook page that upset a lot of people. The last thing DCI needs is to go around upsetting folks they rely on for no reason. Why defend it?

This is the key to the problem. School music programs face several issues that have them fighting to survive. Administrations are constantly questioning the resources spent on dwindling participation, especially marching bands. What real benefit does a school district gain from providing corps housing? Band directors don't need the hassle of dealing with more questions and grief from administrators. ALOT of band directors across the entire nation, not just the South, subscribe to drum corps social media. Hop's little public tantrum not only provides a sense of justification to the huge amount of band directors who find the drum corps activity detrimental to their programs, it also causes the relatively few advocates to question their support. Seeing the budget and equipment that YEA operates on is probably a source of jealous frustration to a lot of directors. Is one little mistaken facebook post enough to undo a lot of the work that DCI is doing to foster a relationship with the band community? You're darn right it is. And for what justification?