Rumblings from CADETLAND

Doe they have to wear their hair high and tight? Noticed on the video all have short hair.

Cadets have always been that way... very clean-cut look

Hop's trashing of the south and public airing of problems with a particular school are a major PR problem not just for the Cadets, but for all of drum corps. I'm not offended by what Hop said but if I were a school band director I would think twice before agreeing to host a corps. Doesn't the Cadets have staff who scout this stuff out?

I did not know that the press from Mississippi are now writing negative stories on George Hopkins ( including his picture in the write up in the newspaper ). I commented on another thread not knowing that this was being discussed here.

The irony of George Hopkins intemperate remarks that made the local press in Mississippi, is that in the early 1980's the Cadets were on the verge of extinction. Their marching numbers were WAY down and the Corps was on the vege of folding. A young George Hopkins, in an 11th hour move try and save the Cadets, ventured down to the Univ. of Mississippi and he met with the Marching Band there. He made a plea to them to come north and march the Cadets from Garield, N.J. Fortunately for him and his Cadets Corps, quite a few decided to take up hiis offer. This " southern brigade " from the Univ. of Mississippi was critical to not only saving the Garfield Cadets from DCI extinction, these marchers set the base from which the Garfield Cadets would rise up in succeeding years in the ranks of DCI competition. Thats why its ironic for an older George Hopkins to now be so publically critical of the hosts in the state of Mississippi... knowing that without the good folks of Mississippi in the early 1980's, The Cadets would most likely be extinct as a Drum Corps and we'd be talking about the Cadets "accommodations" in the Drum Corps extinction graveyard in which there are hundreds of Drum Corps now " housed " there.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I did not know that the press from Mississippi are now writing negative stories on George Hopkins ( including his picture in the write up in the newspaper ). I commented on another thread not knowing that this was being discussed here.

The irony of George Hopkins intemperate remarks that made the local press in Mississippi, is that in the early 1980's the Cadets were on the verge of extinction. Their marching numbers were WAY down and the Corps was on the vege of folding. A young George Hopkins, in an 11th hour move try and save the Cadets, ventured down to the Univ. of Mississippi and he met with the Marching Band there. He made a plea to them to come north and march the Cadets from Garield, N.J. Fortunately for him and his Cadets Corps, quite a few decided to take up hiis offer. This " southern brigade " from the Univ. of Mississippi was critical to not only saving the Garfield Cadets from DCI extinction, these marchers set the base from which the Garfield Cadets would rise up in succeeding years in the ranks of DCI competition. Thats why its ironic for an older George Hopkins to now be so publically critical of the hosts in the state of Mississippi... knowing that without the good folks of Mississippi in the early 1980's, The Cadets would most likely be extinct as a Drum Corps and we'd be talking about the Cadets "accommodations" in the DCI graveyard in which there are hundreds now " housed " there.

he wasn't criticizing the HOSTS - he said that facilities Cadets are often assigned in the south are often lacking. He didn't go on there and say the HOSTS were rude etc...

And let's face it - far too many of the educational facilities in the southeast are LACKING

He should have handled it privately. and he apologized... and we've discussed it to death... and others have already told the MS story, as you did you in "Oops" thread...

Isn't there some massive regional going on today?

• Like 3

he wasn't criticizing the HOSTS - he said that facilities Cadets are often assigned in the south are often lacking. He didn't go on there and say the HOSTS were rude etc...

And let's face it - far too many of the educational facilities in the southeast are LACKING

He should have handled it privately. and he apologized... and we've discussed it to death... and others have already told the MS story, as you did you in "Oops" thread...

They're not going to let it go. You're wasting your keystrokes.

Stop treating him like your revered grandfather who is doting.

"how you practice is how you perform" has been a Cadet mantra for years. Class and excellence are not part-time occupations.

Kill the sanctimony. He made a mistake and apologized for it. No one is treating anyone like a revered grandfather. Forgiveness is a powerful thing. Learn how to use it and stop pretending like you're personally affected.

• Like 4

I never stated that he criticised his " hosts " ( people ) in Mississippi this week, George Dixon.

Kill the sanctimony. He made a mistake and apologized for it. No one is treating anyone like a revered grandfather. Forgiveness is a powerful thing. Learn how to use it and stop pretending like you're personally affected.

It'd be different if this wasn't his MO and didn't do this on a fairly consistent basis. He's constantly having to backtrack because of his mouth. He just needs to quit talking.

"offensive" is subjective also Steve

I don't disagree at all the rant was stupid. And I actually like your idea of a response from DCI for outrageous things - ala NFL. I'm just not sure this rises to that level - Hopkins didn't "insult the whole South" as folks are trying to portray it - he just said something rude and frankly, dumb

Unfortunately we can't make stupid illegal.

No, nobody here is implying that GH was " insulting the whole south ". This is your imaginary, fictional account of what the newspaper article reported, and what DCP's are saying on here about GH's intemperate remarks about his Hosts housing accommodations in Mississippi and Louisiana, etc Lets not engage in hyperbole in misstating what the Press in Mississippi are stating and DCP'ers are stating in reply to GH's words. Lets not overlook that GH said his experience " in the South " in his post. " In the south " are HIS words here he used in his postings that the press in Mississippi is headlining now as " infuriating many local residents "

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, fines should at least be considered as on the table when a member of DCI embarrasses the other members. Its done all the time in the NFL, NBA, MLB, when a member says something off the field that negatively effects the league.

Edited by BRASSO

They're not going to let it go. You're wasting your keystrokes.

It might be hard for some since George has had several "my bads" over the years. Possibly more so than all other Directors combined. Seems he's had issues, at times, retaining the folks behind the scenes. I may be off in my thoughts here, but the man seems to have a habit of stepping in it.

• Like 1