Rumblings from CADETLAND

I'm from the south (Birmingham, AL), some schools are super nice, some the size of a small university, in poor counties many are in need of repair, but what he said didn't offend me...I mean if it walks like a duck and looks like a duck...if it's true, speak the truth. Now, with social media if one decides to do that, they should expect a backlash over it. Everyone one us has said things out of frustration and upon reflection realize we could have said it differently. Water under the bridge...let it go.

Also in Alabama (Huntsville Metro) and I understood without issue BUT... he seriously needs to work on his PR skills. He could of simply left out the whole "The South" rant and cut to the chase and just made it about rehearsal space and travel

Another thing... Huntsville City has NO STADIUMS (good thing it is non top 8 )

at the local schools. They have a couple municipal stadiums they share. I seriously doubt that any corps are staying in the city for the Huntsville (Normal) event.

Edited by CloudHype

Interesting you rarely post in the Cadets thread unless it is a gripe. Now I understand it stems back to the G7 thing which six other corps were involved in. Not healthy to hold grudges...

The worst part about it is the whole school thing has nothing to do with the whole G7 thing.

It was a lousy apology, one of those "if you were offended, then I'm sorry" bits that certain politicians issue when they don't really think they're wrong.

It's bad publicity for DCI, but I'm sure that fans down there will know what to do on show night. Perhaps DCI can make a few extra bux putting up a live feed of Cadets entrance into the stadium. devil.gif

Or maybe set up a "Whack-A-Hop" game in Souvie Alley?

Garry in Vegas

I like George.

I don't agree with everything he has done or wants to do, but imo he clearly offers a glimpse into the psyche of someone in his position that I can't help but admire him for that. His viewpoints are often fascinating - even more so because so many use so much energy to put on a "face" when other thoughts/feelings are controlling the behind the scenes stuff.

With George I feel like we see exactly the way he is.

Back in fall of 1992 I wrote him a letter telling him how much I loved "Tame the Perilous Skies.". I sent no donation - just a letter from a silly fan in Montreal saying how much I liked the corps and the show.

He took the time to write me a personal note thanking me for letting him know this and hoping to see me at a Cadets performance soon.

I still have that note and I will keep it for as long as I am around.

• Like 2

Hopkins didn't "insult the whole South" as folks are trying to portray it - he just said something rude and frankly, dumb

He said "this is why we avoid the south" and that the decision to make a deep-south tour was basically a mistake. Nothing even needed to be said publicly, but if he felt it necessary, use it as an opportunity to make a positive statement. IMO, the right way to handle it would be to say, "Oops, things haven't worked out at this facility and we're in need of some new housing, but it's our fault for not properly communicating with the hosts and scouting things out properly. We are thrilled to see all the Cadets fans in a part of the country we don't usually tour in, and we look forward to building new connections and friendships across the region." Instead he put out the message that he is sorry he agreed to the southern tour and plans to go back to the old route next year.

• Like 1

Kill the sanctimony. He made a mistake and apologized for it. No one is treating anyone like a revered grandfather. Forgiveness is a powerful thing. Learn how to use it and stop pretending like you're personally affected.

Unfortunately he damaged the whole activity's reputation in the area, regardless of the apology. He doesn't need my forgiveness, but it's worth discussing bad PR among the many challenges facing the activity today, particularly as it relates to acquiring housing, which is constantly mentioned as a challenge.

Unfortunately he damaged the whole activity's reputation in the area, regardless of the apology. He doesn't need my forgiveness, but it's worth discussing bad PR among the many challenges facing the activity today, particularly as it relates to acquiring housing, which is constantly mentioned as a challenge.

LOL. If this is all it takes to damage the whole activity's reputation in the area, DCI might as well out of the South now.

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to look for opportunities to be offended.

• Like 1

Perhaps we should blame the previous corps that stayed at the housings sites that seem to be so hard to get these days instead of blaming one man's comment on HIS Facebook page.

Edited by 2000Cadet

LOL. If this is all it takes to damage the whole activity's reputation in the area, DCI might as well out of the South now.

:) I'm with you on this.

How many people in the south started reading that news story?

How many of them kept reading after "marching band"?

How many, given that they kept reading it, will hold a grudge against the activity?

How many thought "did someone actually get paid to write an article that lengthy about a topic so pointless"? (seriously, that was a long article)

• Like 2