Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

I had brought this same point up in a couple of other topics ... but not nearly as offensively as some people took this person's post. I hadn't noticed that Mandarins were also getting seeded like Academy instead of being forced to perform before everyone who did go to Atlanta.

I thank the person for pointing out the supposed "April memo" regarding the scores from the other show being used in conjunction with the Atlanta scores. BUT, this is what it says right on DCI's own Web site:

"Corps particiapting in the afternoon event are determined by the results of DCI Southeastern Championship in Atlanta, GA." (I left the "particiapting" instead of "participating" typo on purpose ... no one's perfect, eh?)

If the lineup was determined by also using the scores from the California show, they simply should have said so.

However, I do think the "cost" of not going to Atlanta (pun intended) for Mandarins and Academy should simply be that they go on first in San Antonio. No ill-will wished upon them -- just my feelings. Yes, the corps who do a full tour and go to the first regional that is used to help set up the second regional should "earn" a little benefit over corps who don't go to the first regional.

I understand and applaud the "touring model" that Mandarins and Academy (and Pacific Crest) are using to keep themselves competitive financially long term ... but I think they would also agree that if all it really "costs" them is a starting time at San Antonio, I still think they'd take the fiscal responsibility of not going to Atlanta.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited - Moderation issues are to be discussed via PM only. <----- GET OVER IT

Anyway ....... Y'all just really need to relax about touring schedules. This really has been hashed and rehashed about 20 times in other threads. DCI set the rules ... Academy, PC, Mandarins and the like are all playing by them. Don't hold it against them for succeeding in the current touring model for Regional Div 1 corps.

/me callz his 1st amendment attourney

Edited by supersop

The context of this thread was not to point out the touring decisions made by a particular corps. Though I concur about the idea of cost saving through an abbreviated tour, cost of touring is irrelevant here.

The point...corps face a like-panel of judges at one event for order of appearance at another. If you don't show, for whatever reason (tour schedule, finances, Gold Bond shortage) you earn your palcement to that particular event as prescribed, not granted a slot (i.e. document).

I will favor this mentioned document though it does not seem to create an equal scenario for all, but as I understand it, the document and its existance is being disputed by various corps directors.

Edited by fick

Not sure where I stand on this issue at the moment. But some questions for people to consider.

Where would DCI be and the Summer Music Games Tour if all Div 1 corps did a 14 show season with a month off in between?

What is more beneficial, rehearsal time or a full line up for shows to put the performance into action?

If Academy can does this, then I would imagine other corps can.

A: The directors of all the DCI Member Corps voted on this to allow younger/newer/less affluent/whatever corps to move into Division I without killing themselves.

B: Corps don't get paid unless they are at shows.

C: While it might be beneficial for some corps to not tour all season, they have to forsake getting judges' comments during the time they aren't touring, so they can't make changes to their show based on the latest judges' comments. This would seem to equalize any benefit attained from just practicing.

D: Bravo to Academy for deciding to do whatever it will take to keep them around for years to come.

E: If it was in the best interest for other corps to stay home awhile, not getting the advantages that come from performing in contests, then I imagine they would do whatever was in the best interest of their organization.)

F: Who knows what the future holds? The DCI BOD looks at everything every year. They've been doing this long enough to know what to consider. They not only care about their own corps, they care about the entire activity.

G: I'd love to see some more corps like Academy come along, doing whatever it takes to preserve their chances of growing and lasting.

Edited by Michael Boo

I quite agree with you Boo. There are several D1 corps that are not even touring this year, that if they had followed the example being shown by the above mentioned corps, then they would be marching in some form this year. The health and livlihood of the corps is the most important thing - not the amount of shows.

Pretty sure this won't make a difference to some in here. Academy did apply for 5 additional shows but were turned down by the individual promoters that did not want to pay more money to have an additional corps.

Pretty sure this won't make a difference to some in here. Academy did apply for 5 additional shows but were turned down by the individual promoters that did not want to pay more money to have an additional corps.

More fool they....Academy is worth the money!

A: The directors of all the DCI Member Corps voted on this to allow younger/newer/less affluent/whatever corps to move into Division I without killing themselves.

B: Corps don't get paid unless they are at shows.

C: While it might be beneficial for some corps to not tour all season, they have to forsake getting judges' comments during the time they aren't touring, so they can't make changes to their show based on the latest judges' comments. This would seem to equalize any benefit attained from just practicing.

D: Bravo to Academy for deciding to do whatever it will take to keep them around for years to come.

E: If it was in the best interest for other corps to stay home awhile, not getting the advantages that come from performing in contests, then I imagine they would do whatever was in the best interest of their organization.)

F: Who knows what the future holds? The DCI BOD looks at everything every year. They've been doing this long enough to know what to consider. They not only care about their own corps, they care about the entire activity.

G: I'd love to see some more corps like Academy come along, doing whatever it takes to preserve their chances of growing and lasting.

Michael,

I agree with some of what you have said, and appreciate your reasoned approach. I think we this issue calls for reason.

Having said that, here's what I disagree with:

Academy has every right to choose what type of a touring schedule keeps it's finances in the best shape for the future.

However, they should be held accountable for that decision. I will stand to be corrected by anyone who actually knows what DCI's policy is regarding seeding at regionals, but I thought I understood that placement at San Antonio is determined by placement at Atlanta. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case, they should be going on very early at SA.

If a corps can't muster the funding to do a Div 1 tour, they shouldn't be Div 1 - regardless how good they are!

Troopers have committed themselves to a full tour - Madison, after all the winter-time difficulties they have faced have committed themselves to a full tour - Pioneer, despite their scores (and no insult intended to them, because their members are working as hard as any other corps - and sleeping on as many busses and gym floors as all but a few Div 1 corps) are doing a full tour. And every other corps that has been doing a full tour deserves credit for the investment in drum corps.

DCI's decision to slot Academy and the other 'partial tour' corps ahead of the corps that have fully committed is wrong, in my opinion.

Where would DCI be if all corps decided that 15 performances (or whatever the actual number is - I believe I'm close). A lot of fans wouldn't have a chance to see their favorite corps. All corps could save money by cutting back on the scope of their tours.

This decision isn't in the best interest of any of the corps from Glassmen (and maybe even the Colts) on down, in my opinion. It has belittled the efforts of these corps by 'rewarding' short tour corps with a placement that it doesn't 'deserve', if I understand the rules correctly.

It may be that Academy actually deserves their placement, but since they haven't competed against any other corps other than the west coast corps, who actually knows? We hear so much about how day-to-day scores don't mean much, since corps aren't head to head, how do we (or DCI for that matter) actually know that they deserve to perform ahead of these other corps - WE DON'T on an objective basis.

I will freely admit that this decision could most directly effect my corps - Spirit - because they have been, in effect, relegated to a 13 place by a corps who haven't subjected themselves to the competitive process that all of the other top 15 corps have, but I still maintain that Spirit isn't the only corps to suffer from this apparent deviation from the rules. AGAIN, I repeat that, if I haven't interpreted the rules DCI has in place for performance order at regionals, then my argument isn't valid.

I don't think this subject is proper fodder for a flame war, but I do think that it needs serious discussion.

Edited by willyc

I agree with the "go on first" sentiment. DCI needs to say that scores from shows on the same day counted towards the San Antonio performance order. They only state that Atlanta mattered. Like mentioned above, all DCI has to do is clarify. Until they do, this is a legitimate concern. I don't think that it's favoritism or anything sinister at play, but people do have the right to be a bit irked.

As for me, Troop goes on the field earlier so I can start reading Harry Potter earlier.