Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

Every other Division I corps tours thousands of miles competing night after night to get to this little show called Atlanta...which suppose to, according to DCI.org, determine the order of appearance for San Antonio. Here we sit, Academy sitting on their butts half the summer because I heard from a reliable source that they had 4 days off in a row at one point this summer, and yet they get the privilage of not going on first, like they should, in San Antonio even though they were not in Atlanta. Sounds fishy.

Is DCI developing a new pet which resides in Arizona?

DCI isn't being unreasonable, and to others' points....we've seen too many young corps expire simply due to mismanaged finances. The Academy has been cautious and steady, and played by the rules all the way into credibility. Let's give em a break. The show is extremely well written, the staff professional, and the corps highly motivated. We need as many corps and kids out there doing that as possible...it's great for the activity. Any corps that can rehearse in 110 temps has got my acknowledgement. If you asked each corps member how they felt, watching thier last score get further and further behind the power curve, you'd know they were going crazy. All that have marched know that members would rather be performing every night--that's the payoff from all the hard work. Recently, all they got to do was work. Their dance card has filled up--you'll see them all over the place between now and Pasadena.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This debate has happened every year for the past five years. Frankly I think the level of discourse has declined over that period of time.

If DCI is sanctioning this particular show order, then I'm guessing the member corps (otherwise known as DCI) approved it. I'm also guessing that the folks at Spirit and elsewhere knew at the time this decision was made that the three corps in question might present a competitive challenge. Bravo to them for letting it be decided on the field. I don't think recaps should include an additional subcaption for bus miles logged, and I don't think that's how the kids in Spirit et al want to win.

really i don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, i just wanted to show off my signature graphics.

lawl, i should take a picture of me wearing the iHonk shirt i bought under my academy jacket.

This debate has happened every year for the past five years. Frankly I think the level of discourse has declined over that period of time.

If DCI is sanctioning this particular show order, then I'm guessing the member corps (otherwise known as DCI) approved it. I'm also guessing that the folks at Spirit and elsewhere knew at the time this decision was made that the three corps in question might present a competitive challenge. Bravo to them for letting it be decided on the field. I don't think recaps should include an additional subcaption for bus miles logged, and I don't think that's how the kids in Spirit et al want to win.

I don't think that the members of Spirit should be singled out, simply because I stated my affiliation.

I don't understand how the 'level of discourse' has declined, in this instance. You have stated that you guess that the folks at Spirit and elsewhere knew that this decision was made - what decision? To allow a corps that makes a decision not to compete fully to get what I consider an unfair advantage over corps that have fully invested in the season? I may not be understanding what you are trying to get at.

I don't think that either you or I know what the members of the corps may feel about having their efforts devalued.

Ultimately it WILL be decided on the field. My point is that, until I hear the coherently stated policies that govern performance order at regionals layed out, I feel that DCI has rewarded a corps making a lesser contribution to the activity than many full-tour corps. If Academy chooses to not participate fully, it should not be awarded the benefits of those corps that do. I mean no disrespect to Academy, because I'm sure they don't influence DCI's decisions - they are simply the beneficiary of a misguided decision.

This should be a smiley and go into every narration thread!!

emotedeadhorseff5.gif

edit..durn it....the little smiley guy used to actually whack the horse with the stick...dunno why it doesn't now

Edited by skewerz

emotedeadhorseff5.gif

edit..durn it....the little smiley guy used to actually whack the horse with the stick...dunno why it doesn't now

I don't understand how it's a dead horse. The performance in SA is certainly laid and played for 07, but the policy and reasons for the decisions should be questioned.

If they didn't have enough money to go all the way to the east coast, they should have asked DCI for a loan, afterall, DCI gave the Cadets a loan so they could go all the way to the west coast.

Elmo Blatch

Oh please....why ask that Academy accept the long-term costs of repaying a loan when they VERY solid, VERY smart, and VERY successful plan they'd been working from has been ding the job?

Remember in 04 when people on this very board floated the idea of donating so they could go to Denver?? I seem to recall someone from Academy saying basically "thanks, bu tno thanks...we have a plan and we're sticking to it."

It's not a mater of then not having the funds...it's a matter of them following a carefully laid out plan so they CAN tour long term in the future and not join the ranks of the fallen...deal with it.

Current standing: Academy 12th place score 76.64

Yea, ok, lets be fair and put them on first :worthy::lol::lol:

The only one's suffering from Academy making the decision not do due a full tour is Academy itself.

If they did a full tour their scores would be higher come time for finals. Think of their members, one thing I know about competitors at this level: "Players like to play" Everyone whose marched knows all those kids wish they were on the road for a full tour. They are being penalized enough by their own corps for having to make the sacifice to march for a corps who is not doing a full tour. And they are doing this for the long term interest of the corps so they will be around for many years to come. My guess is they are well on their way to making finals or very close to it. Once this happens and they have fairly prooved themselves, fundraising efforts will improve and the corps will very shortly be marching a full tour in the years to come. I applaud the whole oraganization and especially the kids marching for them for making the scarifices they are making for the future of the organization. I look forward to seeing them for the first time this season on Saturday night. I hear their show is excellent.

Current standing: Academy 12th place score 76.64

Yea, ok, lets be fair and put them on first :worthy::lol::lol:

The only one's suffering from Academy making the decision not do due a full tour is Academy itself.

If they did a full tour their scores would be higher come time for finals. Think of their members, one thing I know about competitors at this level: "Players like to play" Everyone whose marched knows all those kids wish they were on the road for a full tour. They are being penalized enough by their own corps for having to make the sacifice to march for a corps who is not doing a full tour. And they are doing this for the long term interest of the corps so they will be around for many years to come. My guess is they are well on their way to making finals or very close to it. Once this happens and they have fairly prooved themselves, fundraising efforts will improve and the corps will very shortly be marching a full tour in the years to come. I applaud the whole oraganization and especially the kids marching for them for making the scarifices they are making for the future of the organization. I look forward to seeing them for the first time this season on Saturday night. I hear their show is excellent.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and that's all it is. You say that their scores would be higher with a full tour, and MAYBE you're right. There's no empirical evidence to support your position. Their current standing has no real basis, since it hasn't been tested head-to-head against most of the other Div 1 corps. I'm sure you know the argument......................different shows, different competition, different judging panels, etc. etc.

I don't doubt that the members would like to be on a fuller tour. I don't doubt that they are working hard. I DO doubt that very many current members are there for the future. Most are there for the experience that this year will offer them.

When their fund raising efforts allow them to mount a full tour, THEN they should have all the benefits (and disadvantages) of the full tour.

No one has yet stated what criteria DCI uses to determine performance order at San Antonio - other than results from the previous regionals - which Academy didn't participate in.

I'm not knocking the program they are building, nor the level of their show. I haven't seen them, so I can't make a decision, and that's my point exactly - very few corps have competed against them head-to-head. You admit you haven't seen them, so you are going on what you hear about them, as are most DCI fans.

Despite the emotion that this 'Cinderella story' engenders, they will have what I believe to be an unfair advantage in San Antonio - unless I can be corrected about what criteria DCI uses to seed corps.