Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree with the poster of this thread. Because they were not in Atlanta they along with Mandarins should be performing at the beginning of the show. The touring division 1 corps should get some benefit.

:worthy:

See my post above

Every other Division I corps tours thousands of miles competing night after night to get to this little show called Atlanta...which suppose to, according to DCI.org, determine the order of appearance for San Antonio. Here we sit, Academy sitting on their butts half the summer because I heard from a reliable source that they had 4 days off in a row at one point this summer, and yet they get the privilage of not going on first, like they should, in San Antonio even though they were not in Atlanta. Sounds fishy.

Is DCI developing a new pet which resides in Arizona?

A couple of points, though I dread dignifying this with a response...

There are still mid-season California shows that require corps. Luckily Academy could fill those spots so that the Cali show sponsors had good corps to field. Finals in Cali also makes it less attractive for July Cali shows if no one is there.

Academy applied to and was accepted in D1. No one got any special favors, and screw you for implying it.

If your point is that they should go on first in a regional/finals because they missed one, fine, but other corps not attending get the same "benefit".

The only thing that smells fishy is someone trying to act like they know something. Specifically you.

Sling your mud elsewhere, troll.

DCI did not do Academy any special favor. It was decided upon very early BEFORE the season actually began (I saw the memo dated April 3, 2007). There are three major shows at which at least one Div. I corps would be missing (Academy, Mandarins and/or PC)--Allentown, Atlanta and San Antonio.

It was stated that for the Allentown scores (July 7 and 8), Mandarins' score from June 30 and Academy's score from June 23 would be used; for the Atlanta scores (July 14), all three corps' scores from the July 14 Long Beach show would be used; and for San Antonio, PC's score from Long Beach will again be used.

This plan may have been slightly revised, but this was at least originally the plan.

skajerk, thank you. I did not belittle my corps and your favorite corps (SS). I am a firm believer of giving credit where it is due. I didn't waltz into the Marines as a SGT just because I marched drum corps. If DCI made prearranged plans for this to take place, God's speed. I will not contest a decision made in April.

Edited by fick

skajerk, thank you. I did not belittle my corps and your favorite corps (SS). I am a firm believer of giving credit where it is due. I didn't waltz into the Marines as a SGT just because I marched drum corps. If DCI made prearranged plans for this to take place, God's speed. I will not contest a decision made in April.

Now, since my rookie self doesn't know how to close a thread, I will take all forms of advise on how to do so.

Thanks for your admission here. Even though many others on DCP have asked this same question, it does appear DCI and its member corps had a plan in place long ago. Its a shame you were beaten down as you were here in this thread, especially by a couple of people in particular who have slung more mud against other corps in other threads all summer long and I am kind laughing (not in a good way) at the self righteous attitude of some. I guess the mud is ok when it hits other corps.

Anyway, question has been answered, lets move on.

deadhorse.gif

This should be a smiley and go into every narration thread!!

Not sure where I stand on this issue at the moment. But some questions for people to consider.

Where would DCI be and the Summer Music Games Tour if all Div 1 corps did a 14 show season with a month off in between?

What is more beneficial, rehearsal time or a full line up for shows to put the performance into action?

If Academy can does this, then I would imagine other corps can.

First, let me say this...

Taken from another thread...

Second, let me say this...

By your avatar, I hope not, but I'm guessing you marched Suncoast. *sigh* Thanks for putting my all-time favorite corps in such a bad light. If you did march with them, you of all people should be applauding the way AA and DCI is going about this.

Third, let me say this...

deadhorse.gif

Ha-ha! Funny!

Here's my take, guys. If someone else deserves to go on after Academy, then let them score higher. I look forward to seeing Academy Saturday night from waaaaaay out on about the 10 yard line--never seen them before! Good seeing Colts and Glassmen in 11th and 12th if it pans out that way--brings back fond memories of 93!

For crying out loud, the corps has it together--on and off the field. Taking it easy their first year out of the D1 gate just ensures that there will be a second. Finals, in case you hadn't heard, are in Cali this year. As a first year D1, do you think it would be really wise to travel all the way to Allentown and Atlanta? For crying out loud--why not just add a trip to Europe!

Hmm...funny to bring that up. Yeah, kind of a different situation, but you never hear this argument when a finalist takes off 2 weeks to go to the "Old World," now do you? Just a random thought.

After years of corps folding due to being unable to keep up with touring costs, DCI has made a participation model available where corps can be the masters of their own destinies and finances. This makes nothing but sense to me. (unike your post, which makes none.)