Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok 10th place with a score of 79.20

Better put em on first in San Antonio then :worthy::lol::lol: <**> <**> :lol:

Give me a break.

Wow, so could you imagine what would have happened back in 1985 if Star of Indiana went on in a "slotted" performance time ??

I think the idea of limited touring is awesome, and I would love to someday see 30+ corps in Division 1, not all need to commit to a full tour to be sanctioned a division 1 corps, however, there should be no doubt that corps not participating in the tour and/or shows need to go on forst, regardless of their talent level, nothing should be "excused", you are new to the scene, you have yet to be liegitimately in the mix, you step off first. I agree its not fair to the corps whohave been traveling around the country to have to compete before a corps participating in this type of model.

Again, think about it, its a great idea to let corps flourish and not be financially strained, but ..ok, someone said 79 something for Academy ?? Good, prove yourself among your competition, its not unfair to go on first, go show you can "hang" by stepping off and earning your score.

Just my opinion, good luck to all.

~G~

Wow, so could you imagine what would have happened back in 1985 if Star of Indiana went on in a "slotted" performance time ??

I think the idea of limited touring is awesome, and I would love to someday see 30+ corps in Division 1, not all need to commit to a full tour to be sanctioned a division 1 corps, however, there should be no doubt that corps not participating in the tour and/or shows need to go on forst, regardless of their talent level, nothing should be "excused", you are new to the scene, you have yet to be liegitimately in the mix, you step off first. I agree its not fair to the corps whohave been traveling around the country to have to compete before a corps participating in this type of model.

Again, think about it, its a great idea to let corps flourish and not be financially strained, but ..ok, someone said 79 something for Academy ?? Good, prove yourself among your competition, its not unfair to go on first, go show you can "hang" by stepping off and earning your score.

Just my opinion, good luck to all.

~G~

they have proved it, as shown. By their first three shows and these past 2 shows. They've stepped off first at each show. You can't tell me that they've haven't proven something even with those 5 shows... Yah but still if you say they've proven nothing, you're full of it....

And wasn't it talked about before that the saturday show that they were at was part of the determining placement for Saturday...?

The Academy has Pat Sheridan and Sam Pilafian; they can do whatever they want.

Edited by Harmonious Cacophony

they have proved it, as shown. By their first three shows and these past 2 shows. They've stepped off first at each show. You can't tell me that they've haven't proven something even with those 5 shows... Yah but still if you say they've proven nothing, you're full of it....

And wasn't it talked about before that the saturday show that they were at was part of the determining placement for Saturday...?

Love the attitude ! Careful or you will get it back, tenfold. Im just stating an opinion, and asking a question and believe me, I see your posts int he other "AA" threads, look like a strong and healthy Arizona borg-fest is growing and festering and turning many people off to the actual corps and their stunning achievements. I cant believe the hostilities thrown at some of the posters by the "supporters" of this corps for asking legitimate questions.

Again, this idea of limited touring is awesome, it will foster growth in the future for a strong division 1 slate, many corps able to provide opportunited for kids to enjoy, compete, and get experiences through drum corps.

I still think when you face your competiton, en masse, for the first time, you should step off first...you are NEW to this type of competition you should be evaluted properly, by what you do , not what you scored last. Slotting of any kind is wrong. You do not have to participate in any type of tour to be legitimate, you do however have to earn (sorry to insense the Acad-o-borg) , yes earn your place and that comes with experience, again, if they are so good (cant wait to see, them, my p.c. response so I can hold off the needless flames, but they'll come, turning me and others bitter towrds a yet unseen product) They can stand on their own.....ANY corps not participating in the regional(s) determining performance order should step off first. Any first year Division 1 corps should also step off first.

Im well aware the rules were already in place, howefer, I think it isnt fair regarding step off times. The rest of the idea for this type of corps is fine, it is how it used to be and should be.

~G~

Everybody is forgetting one important thing...

Judges...

I would be willing to bet that the corps agree to this slotting because they know some judges have a tendency to score the shows in order of appearance.

Putting a corps on first when they do not deserve to be there hurts the competition aspect.

Think about how the kids of Esperanza and Pacific Crest must have felt when DCI made them go on BEFORE the show started at Quarterfinals in 2004. (Yes...Esperanza went on at 12:30, Pacific Crest at 12:45, Tickets said show starts at 1:00).

I think this approach is better for the competition aspect and for the fairness aspect. Your score is more accurate. You know who you should have beat and who you shouldn't have.

Here we sit, Academy sitting on their butts half the summer because I heard from a reliable source that they had 4 days off in a row at one point this summer, and yet they get the privilage of not going on first, like they should, in San Antonio even though they were not in Atlanta. Sounds fishy.

Give them a break! So they get 4 days off, they've had more all day rehearsals than anybody else, plus in Arizona!! These members practice and practice, they practice more in the off-season than any other corps. 4 days off, great you guys earned it! I think it is horrible that these guys are being treated like this when they might just be the classiest drum corps out there right now if not ever. Every VK vet owes them something for what they did this year, or how about all the other div. II and III corps that Academy cheers on when they go on for performance or come back. Mark Richardson is a great director and I know for sure that these kids are learning way more about life than they are drum corps.

No one has yet stated what criteria DCI uses to determine performance order at San Antonio - other than results from the previous regionals - which Academy didn't participate in.

You have mentioned several times that nobody has stated what rules, criteria, etc. are used to determine performance order. Why do you need someone to tell you? DCI has shown you their criteria - have they not? They allowed themselves the flexibility to look across more than one show to determine that order. That is absolutely the right thing to do in my opinion. The fact that they took a more rigid approach in the past certainly does not make that the best approach now.

I don't buy the different shows, different judges argument at all. We have seen what Pacific Crest has done against the competition this year and we have seen what The Academy has done vs. PC. I think we can agree that The Academy would comfortably beat any of the 17-22 corps. Their ranking is clearly accurate within a placement or two. It is a subjective activity and DCI is using the best subjective data available to make a fair decision.

For those that want The Academy to be "penalized" for the lack of a full tour, they are already penalized significantly in the form of appearance fees. That should be enough IMO. Separate the financial side of the activity from the competitive side and let them compete on their competitive merits alone.

Edited by jwscv87