Booing and the Cadets

I really think that people that want to show their discusst with a corps,,,should just go get a hot dog and forgetaboutit

Boo a performance...you are booing the members doing the performing.

Their performance wasn't booed. Their performance received a standing ovation.

The actions of the director before their performance was booed.

and just to clarify, I didn't boo, and never would.

But if you're knowingly going to put a controversial show on the field, don't be surprised when it's not universally well received.

Exactly...I don't boo anything...ever, but you can't blame people who are paying for a show to boo their displeasure.

The reason we boo is because we know no one is listening to us any other way.

We know that dci and the show designers take us for granted.

We know they don't really care what we think.

We know that the designers and judges look at this activity as art for art's sake and that the audience needs to sit down and shut up and appreciate it.

This is a simple grass roots uprising against the direction Hopkins wants to move the activity.

I'm glad we booed from the stands last night. It's the only way to send them a message.

And I agree with the other posters -- these musicians are not kids. They are serious musicians who are headed into college - they can take it.

For all of the people who are hurt and agnered by fans booing, I'm sure you'll have the same opionion towards the leftist protesters at the next Republican presidential convention, right?

Because it was very easy to tell from the stands.

Just to clarify (and I'm not saying most corps members can't figure it out eventually, too).. but "from the stands" it was easy to tell.

The corps members were not IN the stands where you sat. They were the ones out there in their uniforms, on the field as "The Cadets" when the booing ensued.

Even if most corps members "know better" -- it still hurts. Even when your brain says, "I know they're booing my director/show/design/narration/color of my pants," your heart says, "they are booing us." By this time of the season, the members have taken full ownership of the show/design .. etc. Boo that, you boo them.

And yeah yeah they chose to be in the Cadets.. blah blah. That doesn't change the classless nature of booing for ANY reason.

Stef

Boo a performance...you are booing the members doing the performing.

All or nothing? Rather closed-minded view.

When you are a performer, most of your teachers and coaches will tell you to expect to be booed at some point in your career. It's part and parcel; there's always going to be someone who has the proverbial axe to grind with what you're doing. You learn to ignore it and take pride in what you did for the sake of having done it.

By your argument, Mike, reviews that talk about how bad a show is without getting into the specifics (the brass line was terrible, the guard was non-existent, what have you, but nothing stating that the design might be the problem) are also unacceptable because the performers themselves might take offense. But these opinions are valid, and they are exactly that - opinions. If a performer disagrees...then he has the option to discount that opinion. Simple as that.

As I said, I would never boo another performer, because I know what balls it takes to get out there and put yourself on the line like that - but I've been booed in my time, and in the end, it's what I thought of my performance that mattered to me.

Like mentioned before, booing is just not classy at all. I've heard people booing at random bars with terrible house bands playing, but the booers are usually drunk and have absolutely no respect for musicians. Okay, so you don't like it, don't boo. It's childish and makes you look drunk and ignorant. Send Hopkins an email and tell him what you think, or go talk to him or the staff after the show. Booing during a performance...only uneducated people do that. Look at how every corps presents themselves with such pride and maturity, why can't the audience do the same and just respect that they've spent an entire summer working hard to put on that show. If you don't like it, don't give a standing ovation, don't cheer, and don't applaud more than a couple times. If you went to a symphony concert and didn't like a certain piece they played...would you boo?

Their performance wasn't booed. Their performance received a standing ovation.

The actions of the director before their performance was booed.

and just to clarify, I didn't boo, and never would.

Thanks for clearing up when the booing occurred. Didn't go to the theater and after reading a bunch of posts I wasn't sure what happened. Was that because Cadets delayed the show until the lines were redone?