Hopblog thoughts on "Hash-gate"

If there is anyone from the Blue Devils out there, maybe they can answer this:

How did the Devils deal with the delay at Quarterfinals?

Obviously, they handled it pretty well, since they won the show that night.... but I guess my question is, how did the Blue Devils' staff and corps members address the issue? Was it simply "Hey, we have to wait an extra 15 minutes or so, so chill out a bit" or did the corps re-warm up or something like that?

Fran

I do believe the hornline went on a little "nature walk" to keep loose. With the off-site warm-up situation, there was a lot of time as it was between the end of warm-ups and gate time... Even without a delay!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're catching on. :P

Funny thing...had George said nothing and kids were falling left and right or what ever would have happened, people would have said "I can't believe George doesn't care enough about his kids to enforce the rules about hash marks. Must be him and DCI in bed together."

Thats a bit dramatic dont you think? That you think had the hashes not been repainted kids would be falling left and right? Anyway, kids do fall down and have yet to read anyone blaming the corps director for it.

I have to admit though the differing standards that exist in DCI vs DCA commentary is perplexing. A few Kilties and other corps members were painted as "whiners" for being upset the lines had almost completely disappeared at prelims in Rochester last year.

No such characterization apparently when Hopkins pulls his corps completely off the field to demand lines be repainted.

Cadets had probably the most physically demanding show on the field. They were hauling at 210 with massive stepsizes. Without hashes, and they were virtually completely gone, you're risking serious injury.

Cadets 2007 is easily more visually demanding than any show in the history of DCA. I'm not trying to contribute to the fight, but if top senior corps are your frame of reference for what is and is not dangerous on the field with a performing drum corps, you need a new one. I've seen one snare fall and take down the rest of the line in 2 seconds flat, I've seen bass drum shells covered in blood, I've seen horns smashed beyond repair, front teeth knocked out. I'm sure many of you have seen those things too. When you're doing what those guys are doing visually, you don't just suck it up and stop whining when you can't see the lines on the field.

Thats a bit dramatic dont you think? That you think had the hashes not been repainted kids would be falling left and right? Anyway, kids do fall down and have yet to read anyone blaming the corps director for it.

I have to admit though the differing standards that exist in DCI vs DCA commentary is perplexing. A few Kilties and other corps members were painted as "whiners" for being upset the lines had almost completely disappeared at prelims in Rochester last year.

No such characterization apparently when Hopkins pulls his corps completely off the field to demand lines be repainted.

Dan,

Haven't you been reading the threads lately???? It's been attack after attack on Hoppy and the Cadets...far worse than happened last fall.

Now I've only posted a few times at the most, I'm mainly a reader if you will,but some things people are saying are REALLY crossing the line with the narration issues, G.Hopkins, EVERYTHING. I've never marched cadets, and yea some times the narration really gets to me, but hey, thats art. It's about expressing yourself in anyway you can.I think its time for you all to look in the mirror and think about some of the thing's your saying sometimes. Its just downright cruel.

Lets push the activity forward ok? save your beef with the cadets show for the closest wall to you, because quite frankly, many people are fed up with it, as am I.

I'm not a fan of George Hopkins, I'm against the things he stands for (the radical change in the activity, amps, narration, electronics, woodwinds, higher membership maximum, etc.). But I don't think it would be right to hear what he has to say only when it's controversial. That's almost like someone wanting Don Imus to be fired even though they don't listen to his radio show (no, I'm not a fan of Imus either).

Wait! Hopkins wants to put woodwinds on the field? I didn't know that. That's dang near unforgivable. Quick, someone revoke his corps geek card!

Lets push the activity forward ok? save your beef with the cadets show for the closest wall to you, because quite frankly, many people are fed up with it, as am I.

Some people here don't believe that narration = forward. Fed up or not, amplified human voice is still relatively new, relatively used sparingly (by total corps numbers), and is still controversial because it's not judged in an officially dileniated category despite being a major impact to a show.

I'm sorry you're "fed up" with it, and frankly, I'm tiring of drive-by rants that are just Hopkins-bashing. I'd like to understand more, not persecute. That said, a large contingent of drum corps fans still do not equate narration and forward, and many of us actually like being told a story without words. There are also plenty of people who do believe the opposite, but last I checked, this is a forum for debate. If you're fed up, understand that you're contributing to the tempered-shortness of this type of discussion. Debate, but don't whine.

you mis understood my meaning of pushing it forward. I should have re-worded it better. I meant pushing the activity forward attitude wise, we have too many people bashing corps and its just not right, regardless if what they do is not what you want.

and also its not whining, simply I'm just telling people that there are much better ways to go about bashing a corps, or its director or anything for that matter. some of this is almost childish

"its different RUN!!!!" its just kind of lame, I just think that everyone should just let everyone do their thing, if you don't like it, go get a hot dog during their performance.

P.S as in fed up, I meant with the bashers, not the cadets. That also should have been worded differently.